Are these chrome plated pliers magnetic (ferrous)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic properties of chrome plated pliers and whether they can be picked up with a powerful magnet. It is suggested to ask the manufacturer, but it is likely that the pliers are magnetic since they are made from cheap steel and have a chromium-vanadium steel alloy construction. The chromium plating helps resist abrasion and corrosion, but does not inhibit magnetic attraction. It is also noted that similar pliers made from chromium-vanadium steel can be picked up with a small magnet.
Enginemaker
IMG_1147.PNG
IMG_1147.PNG
Hello. Can anyone tell me if these chrome plated pliers are magnetic. Can they be picked up with a powerful magnet? Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ask the manufacturer.

If they use chrome-vanadium steel: probably yes.

Chrome plating would suggest a steel alloy construction so I would also say: probably yes.

They are made partly from pressed metal sheet. It is unlikely they would be chromed unless they would rust, so they are almost certainly made from cheap steel and so are magnetic.

The tool that you have pictured will certainly be magnetic.

Chromium-vanadium steel is a steel alloy. This means that it is predominantly steel, which is ferrous and therefore magnetic. The chromium plating of the tool helps resist abrasion, oxidation, and corrosion of the steel. Chromium is a conductive metal allowing the free movement of electrons and would not inhibit magnetic attraction.

As to whether the tool can be picked up by a magnet; the tool appears to weigh 0.2kg. This would not pose any particular problem for being lifted by a magnet.

We have several Hazet tools in the lab which I ran a magnet over this afternoon – I was able to pick each and every one up with a small white board magnet. Hope this helps.

Dr Metal said:
Chromium-vanadium steel
That was my guess, I don't know if that material is used. I found extremely similar pliers made out of it.

1. What does it mean for something to be chrome plated?

Chrome plating is a process of electroplating a thin layer of chromium onto a metal object. This gives the object a shiny and durable surface, as well as resistance to corrosion and wear.

2. Are all pliers magnetic, or only certain types?

There are different types of pliers made from different materials. Some pliers, such as steel or iron, are magnetic, while others, like aluminum or plastic, are not. So, not all pliers are magnetic, it depends on the material they are made of.

3. How can I tell if my pliers are made of ferrous material?

If your pliers are magnetic, they are most likely made of ferrous material, meaning they contain iron. You can also check the manufacturer's label or description to see what materials the pliers are made of.

4. Why would I need to know if my pliers are magnetic?

Knowing if your pliers are magnetic can be useful for various reasons. For example, if you are working with electronic equipment, you may want to use non-magnetic pliers to avoid any interference. Additionally, certain tasks may require the use of magnetic pliers for better grip and control.

5. How can I test if my chrome plated pliers are magnetic?

You can use a magnet to test if your chrome plated pliers are magnetic. If the magnet sticks to the pliers, it means they are ferrous and contain iron. If the magnet does not stick, then the pliers are most likely non-magnetic and made of a different material.