Are these events independent?

In summary: In this case, the equation is not satisfied. In summary, the conversation discusses the independence of events A, B, and C and two equations that involve the probability of their intersection and union. The first equation holds if the events are independent, while the second equation may hold by coincidence. The idea of accepting events with probability zero is also brought up.
Patt
Hello everyone.
Let us consider 3 events A,B,C such that: $$P((A \cap B )\cup C)=P(A)*P(B)*P(C)$$ Notice that the second term is a union and not an intersection. Are they independent? And what if the assumption was: $$P(A \cap( B \cup C))=P(A)*P(B)*P(C)$$? I know that the independence condition requires us to check whether the probability of the intersection of each pair factorizes plus the probability of the intersection of all of them factorizes as well. But I do not know how to prove that they are/they are not independent Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
If all A,B and C are independent
[tex]P((A\cap B)\cup C)=1-(1-P(A)P(B))(1-P(C))=P(A)P(B)+P(C)-P(A)P(B)P(C)[/tex],
[tex]P(A\cap (B\cup C))=P(A)[1-(1-P(B))(1-P(C))]=P(A)[P(B)+P(C)-P(B)P(C)][/tex] and of course
[tex]P(A\cap B \cap C)=P(A)P(B)P(C)[/tex].

I have no idea how you made assumptions.

Last edited:
Patt said:
Hello everyone.
Let us consider 3 events A,B,C such that: $$P((A \cap B )\cup C)=P(A)*P(B)*P(C)$$ Notice that the second term is a union and not an intersection. Are they independent? And what if the assumption was: $$P(A \cap( B \cup C))=P(A)*P(B)*P(C)$$? I know that the independence condition requires us to check whether the probability of the intersection of each pair factorizes plus the probability of the intersection of all of them factorizes as well. But I do not know how to prove that they are/they are not independent Thank you.
My first thoughts are:

If A, B, C are independent, then you can get an equation for P(C) in terms of P(A) and P(B). So, under certain circumstances your equation would hold.

If A, B, C are not independent, then the equation may hold by an arithmetic coincidence and it should be possible to construct an example.

I don't see that either equation you quote demands that A, B, C be independent or not independent.

PS My second thought is that if A, B, C are independent, you can't get your equation to hold. It's impossible.

You could start expanding using ## P(A \cup B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A \cap B)## and then see what happens if the three are independent.

PeroK said:
PS My second thought is that if A, B, C are independent, you can't get your equation to hold. It's impossible.
What about P(A)=P(B)=P(C) = 0 ?

Stephen Tashi said:
What about P(A)=P(B)=P(C) = 0 ?
But this brings up the old discussion of whether we accept/consider events of probability 0. Would they even be in the ( standard, afaik) sample space?

WWGD said:
But this brings up the old discussion of whether we accept/consider events of probability 0. Would they even be in the ( standard, afaik) sample space?

One of the axioms of probability is that ##\emptyset## is a set in the probability space and the measure of the empty set is zero.

We can also consider the case A = B = C with P(A) = 1.

Likes WWGD

1. What does it mean for events to be independent?

Events are considered independent if the occurrence of one event does not affect the probability of the other event occurring. In other words, the outcome of one event has no influence on the outcome of the other event.

2. How can I determine if two events are independent?

To determine if two events are independent, you can use the formula P(A ∩ B) = P(A) x P(B). If the probability of the intersection of the two events is equal to the product of their individual probabilities, then the events are considered independent.

3. Can two dependent events ever be considered independent?

No, two events that are dependent on each other cannot be considered independent. The definition of independence requires that the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event. If the events are dependent, then the outcome of one event will have an impact on the outcome of the other event.

4. What are some real-life examples of independent events?

Some examples of independent events in everyday life include flipping a coin and rolling a die, drawing two cards from a deck without replacement, or choosing a random number and then choosing another random number. In each of these scenarios, the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event.

5. How do independent events differ from mutually exclusive events?

Independent events and mutually exclusive events are two different concepts. Independent events are events where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event. Mutually exclusive events, on the other hand, are events that cannot occur at the same time. In other words, if one event happens, then the other event cannot happen. Independent events can occur simultaneously, while mutually exclusive events cannot.