Are these internal combusion (IC) engine claims physically possible?

In summary, a person has been making claims about a new ICE engine that supposedly has attributes such as ultra efficiency, maximum performance, low emissions, and the ability to run on various fuels including hydrogen. However, these claims seem to go against known laws of thermodynamics and common knowledge about engine performance. The consensus is that these claims are not scientifically valid and should not be further discussed.
member 656954
TL;DR Summary
A persistent person on another platform keeps claiming what seem to be impossible outcomes for juiced up ICE. I think it's junk and he's a crank, but don't have the knowledge to challenge him.
For the most part, I ignore seeming cranks on other platforms, but the persistence - and insistence - of one who keeps claiming what looks to be physically impossible attributes of his ICE engine finally triggered my "Okay, I'll ask some experts."

His written posts are along the lines of this (crazy font is his):

"Here is a close look at our disruptive 𝔽𝕦𝕖𝕝 𝔸𝕘𝕟𝕠𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕔 ℤ𝕖𝕣𝕠 𝔼𝕞𝕚𝕤𝕤𝕚𝕠𝕟 - Ultra Efficient, Maximal Performance, Low heat/noise signature, Non-Polluting, Torque/Power Dense, Engine Technology including why it's better than electric/hybrid propulsion. Achieves >100mpg...including hydrogen"

And his supporting 'evidence' is the attached flyer.

What I think is fiction, includes:
  • Non-polluting ICE - it is still burning fuel, so unless you capture 100% of the emissions (and presumably store them somewhere in the vehicle) you can't have perfect combustion.
  • Constant maximum torque and efficiency at "all time/load, temperature and elevation". ICE has gears for a reason, and that's because it has to spin up/down, so this seems like straight up fantasy.
  • Claims "negative carbon footprint with hydrogen". I'm ignoring the negative CO2 as hyperbole, but I understand that hydrogen ICE is not ideal because of low energy density but also, they are hard to keep tuned to minimize NOx.
  • Says it has 'zero-emission' so why would you need a 'Quiet, low heat, smokeless exhaust'?
  • Runs on any "liquid or gaseous fuel [natural gas at home!] incl. biofuels & hydrogen, even if olddirty/unprocessed like flare gas". Is that even possible? Don't you need specialized machining for different types of fuel - like, a diesel engine is different to a gasoline engine?
I'm not going to rebut this guy because that's unnecessary and won't change his mind, so I am just interested for myself as to whether this type of engine is even physically possible or practical in general use.

Attachments

• ICEClaim.jpg
    ICEClaim.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 223
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you believe its too good to be true then its too good to be true. His claims aren't scientific or even match what we know of engine performance. No need to discuss this further.

His claims violate thermodynamics laws and sound too incredible to be believed.

That is the consensus here at PF.

Closing the thread as there's nothing more to say. We don't discuss crackpot ideas or perpetual motion or these kinds of incredible motor claims.

Likes Ranger Mike, Asymptotic and jim mcnamara

1. What is an internal combustion engine?

An internal combustion engine is a type of heat engine that converts chemical energy into mechanical energy by burning fuel inside a confined space. This process produces a controlled explosion that moves pistons and turns a crankshaft, creating motion.

2. How do internal combustion engines work?

Internal combustion engines work by using a mixture of fuel and air inside a cylinder. A spark plug ignites the mixture, causing it to rapidly expand and push the piston down. The movement of the piston turns a crankshaft, which is connected to the wheels of a vehicle or other machinery.

3. Can internal combustion engines run on any type of fuel?

Most internal combustion engines are designed to run on gasoline, diesel, or natural gas. However, some engines can also run on alternative fuels such as ethanol, biodiesel, or hydrogen. The design of the engine and its fuel delivery system must be compatible with the type of fuel being used.

4. Are internal combustion engines environmentally friendly?

Internal combustion engines emit pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. However, advancements in technology have made these engines more efficient and cleaner. The use of alternative fuels and emission control devices also helps to reduce the environmental impact of internal combustion engines.

5. What are the advantages of internal combustion engines?

Internal combustion engines are widely used because they are efficient, reliable, and have a high power-to-weight ratio. They are also relatively inexpensive to produce and maintain. These engines are versatile and can be used in a variety of applications, from cars and trucks to boats and generators.