Are these respirators spewing covid viruses?

• COVID
  • Thread starter chirhone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Covid
In summary: I have a mask somewhat similar to the design shown and it is a "P100" which means that it is considerably better than the "N95" masks that doctors and nurses use when treating known contagious patients, BUT ... my mask not only has unfiltered ehxalation, even worse it drops beads of condensed breath. Most of the condensation accumulates in the mask and I just wipe it out with a paper towel when I'm done, but sometimes drops come out the bottom. For me this is a major annoyance since it gets drops of moisture on the wood I'm working on but if I were to wear it in an ER and then go to the patient's room, the drops of condensed breath would be enough to
berkeman said:
That's probably fairly accurate, depending on whether the expiration valves have any baffles in them (which they probably don't). You can stack masks to get extra protection effects if you can tolerate it. You could wear a surgical mask under your respirator to help to protect others better, for example.

I have tried to seal the exhalation valve of the half face respirator but it becomes more difficult to exhale. I can do it partially with the breath deflected to my neck. Would this perform similar to the surgical masks? I mentioned surgical masks because n95 are now so expensive and scarce, the public no longer use them. So i need to compare the half face and full face respirators to surgical masks only, not n95.

How do you compare a surgical mask only to the half or full face respirator as far as exhalation is concerned? Which has highest score or lower score. This is the hole in the half face respirator (which is similar to the full face respirator) with a small thin rubber flap shown in my original message)

20200425_093729.jpg

Biology news on Phys.org
chirhone said:
I have tried to seal the exhalation valve of the half face respirator but it becomes more difficult to exhale. I can do it partially with the breath deflected to my neck. Would this perform similar to the surgical masks?
No. Put on your cloth surgical mask. Then put on your respirator.

chirhone said:
How do you compare a surgical mask only to the half or full face respirator as far as exhalation is concerned?
The surgical cloth mask will do a better job of stopping respiratory droplets on expiration, coughing and sneezing.

What is your end game (apologies if you've stated it already in this thread). To protect yourself, or to also protect others?

berkeman said:
No. Put on your cloth surgical mask. Then put on your respirator.The surgical cloth mask will do a better job of stopping respiratory droplets on expiration, coughing and sneezing.

What is your end game (apologies if you've stated it already in this thread). To protect yourself, or to also protect others?

To protect myself and others. Just want something to protect my eyes too. The half face and full face respirators are air tight and inhalation is only via the filters so this is the plus side uncontroversial. The only concern is exhalation.

However my half face respirator has deflector downward. So the shield can take the droplets, and not direct to the front. So pls help reanalyze why a surgical mask only is still superior to it?

20200425_094924.jpg

chirhone said:
Just want something to protect my eyes too.
If your respirator does not have eye protection built-in, wear goggles.
chirhone said:
However my half face respirator has deflector downward. So the shield can take the droplets, and not direct to the front. So pls help reanalyze why a surgical mask only is still superior to it?
Wakarimasen...

berkeman said:
If your respirator does not have eye protection built-in, wear goggles.

Wakarimasen...

Hope phinds can share the full air flow dynamics. Also i found condensation in the shield. Pls explain the physics of why there is condensation. Medical doctors i ask can't explain the physics of it. So i need to know and explain to them. Thanks.

chirhone said:
Hope phinds can share the full air flow dynamics.
Please use the "@" symbol in front of any user or K9 like @phinds that you would like to flag for comment. Thank you.

chirhone said:
Pls explain the physics of why there is condensation. Medical doctors i ask can't explain the physics of it. So i need to know and explain to them. Thanks.
What condensation? You mean like your glasses fogging up when you wear a mask?

berkeman said:
Please use the "@" symbol in front of any user or K9 like @phinds that you would like to flag for comment. Thank you.What condensation? You mean like your glasses fogging up when you wear a mask?

There are many drops of water in the deflector. I read phinds (or is it bill?) having the same experience where it drops to his wood.

20200425_103351.jpg

Many in the public using these now. So let's scrutinize all this in gross details in the physics and hydro air dynamics principles.

chirhone said:
To protect myself and others. Just want something to protect my eyes too. The half face and full face respirators are air tight and inhalation is only via the filters so this is the plus side uncontroversial. The only concern is exhalation.

@berkeman suggested wearing a cloth mask under your respirator if you are concerned about infecting others. Would it work to just get some cloth and tape it over the opening? That would at least catch droplets, and would be ok until it got wet (ie. like a cloth mask outside, instead of inside the respirator)?

atyy said:
@berkeman suggested wearing a cloth mask under your respirator if you are concerned about infecting others. Would it work to just get some cloth and tape it over the opening? That would at least catch droplets, and would be ok until it got wet (ie. like a cloth mask outside, instead of inside the respirator)?

I can wear surgical mask over the respirator outlet. But it can deflect the breath to my neck. How does this compare to the surgical masks in deflecting the breath? I just want to justify using it. So let's analyze it in the residual breath escaped from these ppe.

The reason i can't wear surgical mask then respirator over it bec it can affect the air tightness of the nose or face shield.

chirhone said:
I can wear surgical mask over the respirator outlet. But it can deflect the breath to my neck. How does this compare to the surgical masks in deflecting the breath? I just want to justify using it. So let's analyze it in the residual breath escaped from these ppe.

The reason i can't wear surgical mask then respirator over it bec it can affect the air tightness of the nose or face shield.

What I mean was instead of wearing a mask under your respirator, why not take some cloth and tape it over the respirator exit?

The proper analysis needed seems unavailable at the moment. The paper you posted in #28 gives evidence that neither a surgical mask nor a cloth mask will protect others from a cough at a distance of 20 cm. However, they did not exclude that the surgical or cloth mask might reduce the distance that droplets can travel. If they can do that, then the surgical or cloth mask would still protect others when combined with (1) not going out unless you feel well, ie. no symptoms, not even mild ones, so that if there is any spread it would be either presymptomatic or asymptomatic spread (2) social distancing as much as possible, avoid going out unless necessary, ie. talk to others and receive/hand them packages at 1.5 m apart (3) wash your hands before and after handling and cleaning your mask.

atyy said:
What I mean was instead of wearing a mask under your respirator, why not take some cloth and tape it over the respirator exit?

I tried taping cloth over the hole at bottom but it makes it so hard to exhale. One must deflect the breath to the neck to breath easier. If so i wonder how this combination compares to the surgical mask as far as leaking breath is concerned.

The proper analysis needed seems unavailable at the moment. The paper you posted in #28 gives evidence that neither a surgical mask nor a cloth mask will protect others from a cough at a distance of 20 cm. However, they did not exclude that the surgical or cloth mask might reduce the distance that droplets can travel. If they can do that, then the surgical or cloth mask would still protect others when combined with (1) not going out unless you feel well, ie. no symptoms, not even mild ones, so that if there is any spread it would be either presymptomatic or asymptomatic spread (2) social distancing as much as possible, avoid going out unless necessary, ie. talk to others and receive/hand them packages at 1.5 m apart (3) wash your hands before and after handling and cleaning your mask.

Likes atyy
People seem to be working on the principle that its possible to achieve complete protection, that's really not easy. Wearing masks is about reducing risk, for people working with people already infected a N95 mask will reduce the risks from droplets and its entirely predictable that the external surface will become contaminated. The exhaust valve makes breathing easier when they are used over long periods, as the patients are already infected and other staff are wearing similar PPE the increased risk from the valve is irrelevant.

For the general public the most effective prevention is in social distancing, despite all the alarmist claims of viruses being detectable miles away, maintaining a distance of 2 metres leads to the biggest risk reductions and is practical. The greatest risk is in enclosed spaces or where social distancing can't be maintained. As we know that people may be infectious before they become symptomatic, if someone in this incubation period wears a cloth mask, it reduces spreading potentially infected droplets and slows the velocity of exhalations. The effects of this on the spread of the virus becomes most significant in enclosed areas and where we have close contact, they may have little advantage in open spaces outdoors.

Any potential advantages may also be offset by peoples tendency to adjust and touch the mask while it is being worn, this would increase the risk to people uninfected. Really to be most effective people would need training in the use of masks, their safe removal and their cleaning. Wearing a full face respirator may make people less likely to maintain social distancing and cleaning the external surfaces, the effects of such masks when people can maintain distance and good hygiene is likely to be fairly insignificant. They have no impact on the risks from infected surfaces or people we live with.

• Informative
Likes Nugatory and BillTre