Are Updates Necessary for Device Functionality?

• Thread starter sandy stone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Important
In summary, allowing updates usually benefits devices, but there are some cases where updates may break things.
sandy stone
I seem to be constantly bombarded with updates on my desktop, tablet, and cellphone, for the operating system, apps, you name it. Should I be allowing them, or blocking as many as I can (like I have been doing)? Do they provide some benefit, or do they cause unanticipated problems for devices that seem to be working just fine without them, thank you?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Updates are usually a good thing. They typically include bug fixes, driver updates, and other things which keep your device running smoothly. Occasionally an update will break something, usually when the update to a program makes it no longer compatible with an older operating system or driver. In these cases you can sometimes revert to an older version, but not always. Unfortunately you usually can't know what's going to happen until you update your software.

My opinion is to allow updates unless you know for a fact that it will break something. You just may update your way out of a malware vulnerability.

Likes jedishrfu, Klystron and ZeGato
I always update "security" updates but sometimes I do not update stuff that I don't use. However, I wonder whether OS updates are "serial". In other words I wonder whether not installing OS update xx.1 that does not involve security issues would prevent a notification for update xx.2 that does include security issues from being sent to me. Does anyone know?

On edit: I am a Mac user.

Likes jedishrfu
Its usually best to install them in the order in which they come.

Its not always the case that prior fixes are bundled with the latest update.

For products that may be the case as developers have more control of the process but for OS updates no.

Theres also the update size constraining the bundling of updates. Also the local updater has a database that tracks what updates are installed and can pull them down as needed.

Likes Klystron
Being caught by a 'zero day' or other exploit because you didn't update stuff is one expensive worst-case scenario...

Against that, I literally have to beat off my two graphics cards' near-weekly attempts to update their driver. Happens the default Gigabyte driver is optimised for dual-screen gaming on one (1) card, will not recognise a second. I don't game, I do CAD etc using two cards and 3~4 displays. Which require the slower, generic NVIDIA driver...

FWIW, this week's W'10 update seems to have fixed the niggly word-wrap bug in Notepad that was accidentally added when those brave, new compatibility features were introduced a couple of months ago...

When I called it into M$ forum as an accessibility issue, it was like, 'You CANNOT be serious !' and 'Who ordered THAT ?'
;-)

Likes jedishrfu
For what it's worth, I stopped MS updates as of Windows XP (of 2002) with Service Pack 3 (of 2008). They kept removing features and breaking stuff I was using. I generally also tend to avoid applications updates unless there is a specific reason to get it, same reasons, many suppliers will move features that I use to extra-cost 'upgrades', or remove them entirely.

I remember one three-year long project I was on where we had wriiten many support utilities for a commercial program. Then it was updated. That broke our support utilities because the database format added a column. Annoying, but it only took about two man-weeks to catch up, roughly 1% of the project.

Of course if you don't have anti-virus software to protect against careless Internet usage etc, then OS and Browser updates may be your best bet.

Remember, Your Mileage May Vary.

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks all.

Likes jedishrfu

1. How often should updates be done?

The frequency of updates depends on the specific software or technology being used. Generally, updates should be done at least once a month to ensure that security vulnerabilities are addressed and new features are implemented.

2. Are updates really necessary?

Yes, updates are crucial for maintaining the functionality and security of software or technology. Updates often include bug fixes, performance improvements, and security patches that help prevent cyber attacks.

3. What happens if updates are not installed?

If updates are not installed, the software or technology may become vulnerable to cyber attacks, which can result in data breaches, system crashes, and other negative consequences. Additionally, outdated software may not be compatible with newer systems or devices.

4. How do updates affect system performance?

Updates can have both positive and negative effects on system performance. While some updates may improve performance and speed, others may require more system resources, which can slow down the system. It is important to carefully review update notes before installing to understand any potential impacts on performance.

5. Can updates be reversed?

In most cases, updates cannot be reversed. However, if an update causes issues or conflicts with other software, it may be possible to uninstall the update and revert to a previous version. It is important to back up important data before installing updates to prevent data loss in case a reversal is necessary.