Are Watches Making a Comeback on University Campuses?

• Thread starter ThomGunn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab watch
In summary, many students don't wear watches because they don't need to. Some people prefer digital watches because they have more features and are easier to use. However, older students like this author still prefer an analog watch because they are reliable and don't rely on technology.
ThomGunn
I'm curious? Do you prefer analog? Digital? No watch? Any specific brands or features you wouldn't wear a watch without?

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer a H3 wristwatch. Analog dial.

Many years since lab-work, but I putter around the house and garage and a reliable watch is important.

Last edited:
turbo said:
...I putter around the house and garage and a reliable watch is important.
Yea. At our age every minute becomes more important. :biggrin:

For many years I've worn a cheap Casio digital watch with a stopwatch feature (chronograph). I use the stopwatch fairly often even outside the lab.

However, most students nowadays carry phones that have a stopwatch either built in or as an app. We need to keep only a few stopwatches handy in lab for the people that don't.

This is why I was curious. I'm not one of the people who are constantly glued to their phones and it seems more practical to me that I use a watch. I was thinking that the stopwatch might be useful too.

There was also the hope of being linked to the ultimate wristwatch that solves differential equations for you...

Last edited:
ThomGunn said:
There was also the hope of being linked to the ultimate wristwatch that solves differential equations for you...
Good luck with that. My life is simple. I have a wristwatch that tells time (and date). I have a cell phone that makes phone calls. It doesn't take pictures or any other fancy stuff. In my experience, simple devices tend to last a long while and give good service. I'd still be carrying my old pocket watch if It hadn't crapped out after about 10 years of service. I think it cost me a buck or two at the local corner store. I think it was a Scotty by Westclox. Worth every penny, though it probably succumbed to being carried in a sweaty, linty pocket for a decade.

I just was given a mechanical pocket watch. I imagine winding it up every morning when I wake up and before I go to class this fall. But thinking realistically, I don't know how long that will last, especially when it's a wind per day deal.

I stopped wearing a watch once I started carrying a cell phone, they're redundant. I can see still wearing them as jewelry.

They can be seen as redundant, two timepieces and all, but I think lots of things are redundant in nature. A heart ticks and the mind can tell you seconds, and I sure wouldn't want one hand counting faster than the other, say chopping fruit or something. I guess it's a matter of where you want to check it and what it brings up mentally. Phones are stressful, and I'd rather look at something simple, or do without.

amos carine said:
They can be seen as redundant, two timepieces and all, but I think lots of things are redundant in nature. A heart ticks and the mind can tell you seconds, and I sure wouldn't want one hand counting faster than the other, say chopping fruit or something. I guess it's a matter of where you want to check it and what it brings up mentally. Phones are stressful, and I'd rather look at something simple, or do without.
I have a very old fashioned cell phone it makes calls and tells time. :smile:

Evo said:
I have a very old fashioned cell phone it makes calls and tells time. :smile:

I haven't had a cell phone or land-line for a few months now, and I don't think I'll be getting a smart phone when I do have one again. I don't mind me not being able to call to talk and ask people for something, but sometimes they get irate with me when they can't call either!

Likes 1 person
amos carine said:
I haven't had a cell phone or land-line for a few months now, and I don't think I'll be getting a smart phone when I do have one again. I don't mind me not being able to call to talk and ask people for something, but sometimes they get irate with me when they can't call either!
I disconnected my landline and DSl and saved $100 a month, until recently, my cell phone was free (my company paid it) now I get it at a discounted rate, so I'm still saving a fortune, but I have children that have insisted that I have a phone so that they can make sure I am alive.

I am with you on new technology, I don't need it.

Likes 1 person
I always wear (even when I am setting up equipment) a somewhat expensive analog watch that my wife's parents gave me as a wedding present.

In 2005, I asked a class of 130 university students "How many of you don't regularly wear a watch?" Well over half the class said that they didn't. I just finished teaching a summer class of 15 students, and I asked them the same question. Only three or four said that they didn't wear a watch. I don't know if watches are making a comeback, or if this was just a statistical fluctuation in a small sample.

Lack of watches can be an inconvenience at times at university. Students use cell phones to cheat during exams, I know of several examples, including the final exam for a calculus course that my wife taught. recently Consequently, students cannot be allowed access to cell phones during exams.

Many examinations room do not have clocks, particularly for smaller classes, but, a year ago, I had a class of eighty students for which this happened. If there isn't a class display for a computer onto which a clock app can be projected, the instructor has to remember to call out the time (or write it on a black/whiteboard if available) every thirty minutes or so.

1. What is the purpose of asking about watch preference in the lab?

As a scientist, it is important to minimize any potential sources of error in our experiments. Asking about watch preference can help us understand if wearing a watch or not can affect the accuracy of our results.

2. Is it necessary for scientists to wear watches in the lab?

No, it is not necessary for scientists to wear watches in the lab. However, some experiments may require precise timing, and in those cases, wearing a watch can be helpful. It ultimately depends on the nature of the experiment and personal preference.

3. Are there any guidelines for watch preference in the lab?

There are no specific guidelines for watch preference in the lab. However, it is recommended to avoid wearing watches with loose straps or hanging accessories that may interfere with equipment or samples. It is also important to keep watches clean to avoid contamination.

4. Can wearing a watch affect the accuracy of experiments?

In most cases, wearing a watch should not significantly affect the accuracy of experiments. However, in experiments that require precise timing, wearing a watch with a second hand may be preferred over a digital watch.

5. Is it acceptable to ask about watch preference in a lab setting?

Yes, it is acceptable to ask about watch preference in a lab setting, especially if the experiment involves precise timing. It is important to respect the preferences of all team members and make accommodations if necessary to ensure accurate and reliable results.