Are we center of the universe?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea that the data from WMAP and Planck satellites suggest that we are at the center of the universe. However, this conclusion is based on a false premise and is not supported by the data. The CMB is isotropic to a very good approximation, meaning that it appears the same from all directions. There is also no correlation between the structure of the universe and the Earth's motion around the sun. The discussion also touches on the topic of religion and the existence of a higher being, which is not a part of scientific inquiry. The conversation ends with a quote from physicist Lawrence Krauss, which is used to support the idea of the Earth being at the center of the universe, but this quote
ScienceIsFun
Hello everyone,

As you can see, I am new on this forum. In my first thread, I decided to ask one very interesting question, maybe one of the most shocking questions which exist at this moment.
We all know the data which have been provided of WMAP and Planck satellites, and what this data shows. According to the CMB we are the center, or near the center of the universe. It is really hard to say that we had some kind of mistake on satellites, because 3 independent experiments(COBE, WMAP and Planck) provided the same data, which telling us that we are the center of the universe. I am not a physicist or cosmologist but lately I have start to be very interesting in this area of science.

I want to remind you that CMB is not the only evidence which points that we are in special place in the universe. I will mention other one, which is "Galactocentric Universe". When you the galaxies around us, it seems that out galaxy is center, or near the center of the universe," and other galaxies are in exactly the correct order." I have added picture, so you can look at it, and here is the link from where I have download a picture: http://www.sdss.org/science/What do you think about it? Do you think that this datas are correct, or that we missing something(and if you think that, do you maybe know what, because I cannot see any other conclusion/solution)? If are we truly the center of the universe, do you that this would prove, that the universe is created by God..?

Attachments

• orangepie.jpg
    orangepie.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 558
Space news on Phys.org
Hi, ScienceIsFun. Welcome to PF.

Please be mindful of the rules of the forum - discussion involving religion is not allowed, neither are personal theories.

Regarding your post, it is built on a false premise:
ScienceIsFun said:
According to the CMB we are the center, or near the center of the universe. It is really hard to say that we had some kind of mistake on satellites, because 3 independent experiments(COBE, WMAP and Planck) provided the same data, which telling us that we are the center of the universe.
This is not at all true. Wherever have you drawn such a conclusion from?

ScienceIsFun said:
Do you think that this data is correct, or that we missing something(and if you think that, do you maybe know what, because I cannot see any other conclusion/solution)?

We are not at the center of the universe. The data is correct (to within the uncertainties of measurement) but you are misinterpreting it.

If you mean that the CMB is isotropic from our viewpoint, this is not strictly true - we do have a proper motion relative to it, which translates into an a preferred axis (dipole). But after correcting for this, it is in fact isotropic to a very good approximation.

But, in the standard model of cosmology, the statement above is also true of every single observer moving freely anywhere in the universe. Our position has nothing special about it.

As to speculation about the existence of one or more non-physical being, this is of course outside the realm of science.

We are at the center of the observable universe. I would suggest that you read carefully there for an explanation of why we cannot observe the entire universe.

Bandersnatch said:
Hi, ScienceIsFun. Welcome to PF.

Please be mindful of the rules of the forum - discussion involving religion is not allowed, neither are personal theories.
Well, thank you on warning, but from my perspective, I did not violate any rule. This certainly is not a my theory, and I think I did not invoke religion, i just asked the question if turns out that we are the center of the universe, would that mean that God created the universe.. If I violate any rule, my apologies

Bandersnatch said:
This is not at all true. Wherever have you drawn such a conclusion from?
Nugatory said:
We are not at the center of the universe. The data is correct (to within the uncertainties of measurement) but you are misinterpreting it.
wabbit said:
If you mean that the CMB is isotropic from our viewpoint, this is not strictly true - we do have a proper motion relative to it, which translates into an a preferred axis (dipole). But after correcting for this, it is in fact isotropic to a very good approximation.

Results from the WMAP satellite indicates that when looking at large scales of the universe, the noise could be partitioned into “hot” and “cold” sections, and this partitioning is aligned with our ecliptic plane and equinoxes. This partitioning and alignment resulted in an axis through the universe, known as "axis of evil". Planck satellite had confirm this data
If all of radiation coming to us from "all directions of the sky at the same time", I mean, how is that possible if Earth is not near to the center of universe..? And just to "prove" that this is not my theory, or my idea I will quote Lawrence Krauss: "But when you look at [CMB] map, you also see that the structure that is observed, is in fact, in a weird way, correlated with the plane of the Earth around the sun. Is this Copernicus coming back to haunt us? That’s crazy. We’re looking out at the whole universe. There’s no way there should be a correlation of structure with our motion of the Earth around the sun — the plane of the Earth around the sun — the ecliptic. That would say we are truly the center of the universe.” (This he said 2005.)

If all of radiation coming to us from "all directions of the sky at the same time", I mean, how is that possible if Earth is not near to the center of universe..?

It's easy to think of geometries which have this property but in which there is no center. Consider the sound intensity from each direction at any point in an infinite universe in which noisemakers are evenly distributed, or on the surface of a sphere upon which noisemakers are evenly distributed.

ScienceIsFun said:
I will quote Lawrence Krauss:...
Try googling for "Krauss center of universe", see what you find.
(Among other things, you will find abundant justification of the Physics Forum policy of requiring that that references and quotations be properly sourced).

This thread is closed.

Last edited:

What is the center of the universe?

The concept of a center of the universe is a debated topic in science. Some scientists argue that the universe does not have a center, while others believe that the center is constantly shifting due to the expansion of the universe.

Is Earth the center of the universe?

No, Earth is not the center of the universe. In fact, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that any one planet or celestial body is the center of the universe.

Why did people believe Earth was the center of the universe?

For centuries, people believed that Earth was the center of the universe due to the geocentric model proposed by ancient Greek philosophers. This model was later replaced by the heliocentric model, which placed the sun at the center of the solar system.

Are humans the most important beings in the universe?

There is no evidence to suggest that humans are the most important beings in the universe. In fact, there may be countless other forms of life on other planets or in other dimensions that we are not yet aware of.

Is there a way to determine the center of the universe?

Currently, there is no definitive way to determine the center of the universe. The universe is constantly expanding and changing, making it difficult to pinpoint a specific center. Scientists continue to study and explore the universe in order to gain a better understanding of its structure and origins.