Area/2nd Moment of Inertia of an arc/ring

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the area moment of inertia of a curved arc, specifically a bent piece of cardboard or acrylic that is 5ft long, 3ft wide, and 3mm in thickness. The speaker has attempted using the area MOI of a rectangle and a Riemann sum, but is struggling to find a formula for the area MOI of the arc. They are wondering if the equation for a semicircle's 2nd MOI can be altered to fit the smaller degrees of the arc. The other person is requesting a sketch and clarification on whether the speaker is looking for the second moment of area or the mass moment of inertia. The purpose of this information is unclear.
Wreak_Peace

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve for the area moment of inertia of a curved arc. To visualize this, it would be like a bent piece of cardboard (two arcs with two lines connecting them at their end points). I'm modelling the differences in area MOI with an increasingly curved piece of acrylic which must be held up only by the bottom (nothing can be supporting it from the sides or top or back). The piece of acrylic is 5ft long, 3ft wide, and 3mm in thickness. The arc length will be 3 ft.

Homework Equations

There really are no equations out there for the 2nd moment of inertia of an arc portion of a ring. I'm trying to solve for the equation basically.

The Attempt at a Solution

To approximate this, at first I attempted using the area MOI of a rectangle enclosing the "arc ring", I used basic trig to find the chord length and height, and got area MOIs much much higher than a straight piece of acrylic would be, even with huge radii so there wasn't much curvature. Next I attempted essentially a Riemann sum, adding up the MOIs of many rectangles inside the arc ring, which has proved difficult. I'm wondering if there is any way I can find a formula for the area MOI of this. The wikipedia page on lists of moments of inertia has an equation for a semicircle's 2nd MOI from its centroid. Is there any way for this equation to be altered to change the degrees of the arc, so it can be smaller than a semicircle?

I know this is somewhat vague, I did my best at trying to explain. Please don't hesitate to ask me to clarify anything and thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your verbal description of the figure is somewhat unclear to me. Can you provide a sketch of the figure?

Also, are you trying to find the second moment of area, or are you trying to find the mass moment of inertia of this piece?

It's not clear for what this information is going to be used.

1. What is the definition of area/2nd moment of inertia of an arc/ring?

The area/2nd moment of inertia of an arc/ring is a physical property that describes the distribution of mass around a given axis. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion.

2. How is the area/2nd moment of inertia calculated for an arc/ring?

The formula for calculating the area/2nd moment of inertia for an arc/ring is I = πR^4/4, where I is the moment of inertia and R is the radius of the arc/ring.

3. What is the significance of the area/2nd moment of inertia in physics?

The area/2nd moment of inertia plays a crucial role in rotational dynamics, as it determines an object's rotational inertia and affects its angular acceleration when subjected to an external torque.

4. How does the area/2nd moment of inertia change for different shapes of arcs/rings?

The area/2nd moment of inertia varies depending on the shape of the arc/ring. For example, a hollow ring will have a larger moment of inertia compared to a solid disk with the same mass and radius.

5. Can the area/2nd moment of inertia be negative?

No, the area/2nd moment of inertia cannot be negative as it is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion and therefore always has a positive value.