Area-change-rate of a coil generating a given induced current

In summary, the flux at a given time is: ##\Phi (t)=\frac{dB}{dt}t \cdot \frac{dA}{dt}t=\frac{dB}{dt}\frac{dA}{dt}t^2##.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A magnetic field runs through a coil of area ##A##, parallel to its normal direction, and with intensity increasing at a constant rate ##\frac{dB}{dt}=0.20Ts^{-1}##.
##\rightarrow## suppose even the area can be changed at a constant rate; what should this rate be, in the instant when ##B=1.8T##, so that the induced E.M.F. in the coil is ##0##?

DISCLAIMER: I haven't studied integrals yet
Relevant Equations
Faraday-Neumann-Lenz
I managed to solve this problem by writing the total E.M.F. as the sum of the one which would have been induced with only the magnetic field varying(and constant ##A##), and that with only the area varying(and constant ##B##).

However, I got to this solution(which doesn't totally convince me) in a bit cumbersome way... and I cannot really get why it is correct to sum the individual E.M.F.s, while it isn't to find the ##EMF(t)=2\frac{\Delta B}{\Delta t} \cdot \frac{\Delta A}{\Delta t} \cdot t## simply by deriving the flux at given instant t.

The answer must be silly, but I'm drowning in a cup of water :)

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: A magnetic field runs through a coil of area ##A##, parallel to its normal direction, and with intensity increasing at a constant rate ##\frac{dB}{dt}=0.20Ts^{-1}##.
##\rightarrow## suppose even the area can be changed at a constant rate; what should this rate be, in the instant when ##B=1.8T##, so that the induced E.M.F. in the coil is ##0##?
Emf = ##-\frac {d\Phi }{dt}## and (with the arrangement described) ##\Phi = BA##. Hint: have you covered the chain rule yet?

Likes etotheipi and Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
Hint: have you covered the chain rule yet?
I think you mean the product rule for derivatives right?

Likes etotheipi and Steve4Physics
Steve4Physics said:
Emf = ##-\frac {d\Phi }{dt}## and (with the arrangement described) ##\Phi = BA##.
That's right, but then, why doesn't it work if I use the condition Emf(t)=0 with the Emf as the derivative of the flux ##\Phi (t) = B(t)A(t)##? Why is the only working method the one I quoted above in the first post?

Steve4Physics said:
Hint: have you covered the chain rule yet?
I honestly don't know what the chain rule is :'(

The derivative of ##B(t)A(t)## is not ##2\frac{dB}{dt}\frac{dA}{dt}t## if that's what you were thinking...

Likes Steve4Physics
greg_rack said:
That's right, but then, why doesn't it work if I use the condition Emf(t)=0 with the Emf as the derivative of the flux ##\Phi (t) = B(t)A(t)##? Why is the only working method the one I quoted above in the first post?

I honestly don't know what the chain rule is :'(
Sorry - I meant the 'product rule'. Does that help? Apologies for the confusion.

Likes greg_rack
Delta2 said:
The derivative of ##B(t)A(t)## is not ##2\frac{dB}{dt}\frac{dA}{dt}t## if that's what you were thinking...
Oh... and how is it then?

My thinking is: given the rate change for the field, ##B(t)=\frac{dB}{dt}t##, and same for the area ##A(t)=\frac{dA}{dt}t##.
Now, wouldn't the flux at a given time be ##\Phi (t)=\frac{dB}{dt}t \cdot \frac{dA}{dt}t=\frac{dB}{dt}\frac{dA}{dt}t^2##?

greg_rack said:
Oh... and how is it then?

My thinking is: given the rate change for the field, ##B(t)=\frac{dB}{dt}t##, and same for the area ##A(t)=\frac{dA}{dt}t##.
Now, wouldn't the flux at a given time be ##\Phi (t)=\frac{dB}{dt}t \cdot \frac{dA}{dt}t=\frac{dB}{dt}\frac{dA}{dt}t^2##?
If A is constant that would mean dA/dt = 0, which gives ##\Phi = 0##. Would that make sense?

Look up 'product rule' to see how to differentiate the product of two functions (e.g. the product of B(t) and A(t)).

Likes greg_rack
greg_rack said:
Your mistake is in the implicit assumptions you have made.

We know dB/dT is constant. You are *assuming* that at t=0, A = 0 and B=0 (and also dA/dt is constant). With these assumptions you are correct in deriving:
emf = ##2\frac{dB}{dt}\frac{dA}{dt}t##
[EDIT: we're missing minus sign, but that's not the point.]

But this means the emf could never be zero (except, trivially, at t=0). So you need to check your assumptions. Hint: do you expect area to increase or decrease?

The solution lies in using the product rule to differentiate BA (where B and A are both functions of time).

Likes etotheipi and greg_rack
Steve4Physics said:
Your mistake is in the implicit assumptions you have made.

We know dB/dT is constant. You are *assuming* that at t=0, A = 0 and B=0 (and also dA/dt is constant). With these assumptions you are correct in deriving:
emf = ##2\frac{dB}{dt}\frac{dA}{dt}t##
[EDIT: we're missing minus sign, but that's not the point.]

But this means the emf could never be zero (except, trivially, at t=0). So you need to check your assumptions. Hint: do you expect area to increase or decrease?

The solution lies in using the product rule to differentiate BA (where B and A are both functions of time).
I'm getting the point now... so, without assuming A=0 and B=0 at t=0:
##B(t)=B_0+\frac{dB}{dt}t## and ##A(t)=A_0+\frac{dA}{dt}t##(which I expect to be negative), right?

Likes Steve4Physics
"(which I expect to be negative), right?"

Yes, right - assuming that you mean you expect dA/dt to be negative.

To cancel the effect of B increasing, A must be decreasing (which means dA/dt is negative). That keeps the flux constant (dΦ/dt = 0).

So, from the basic physics, you can tell from the start that you are looking for a negative answer for dA/dt.

Likes greg_rack
Steve4Physics said:
So, from the basic physics, you can tell from the start that you are looking for a negative answer for dA/dt.
Yupp, got it!
Thank you so so much for your patience guys

Likes Delta2 and Steve4Physics

1. How does the area-change-rate of a coil affect the induced current?

The area-change-rate of a coil directly affects the magnitude of the induced current. This means that the faster the area of the coil changes, the larger the induced current will be.

2. What factors influence the area-change-rate of a coil?

The area-change-rate of a coil is influenced by the speed at which the coil moves through a magnetic field, the strength of the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the coil.

3. Can the area-change-rate of a coil be controlled?

Yes, the area-change-rate of a coil can be controlled by adjusting the speed at which it moves through a magnetic field or by changing the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How is the area-change-rate of a coil related to Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction states that the induced voltage in a circuit is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit. The area-change-rate of a coil is directly related to the rate of change of the magnetic flux, and therefore, it is a crucial factor in determining the induced current.

5. What is the significance of understanding the area-change-rate of a coil?

Understanding the area-change-rate of a coil is essential in many applications, such as generators and electric motors. It allows scientists and engineers to design and optimize these devices to produce the desired amount of induced current. Additionally, it helps in understanding the principles of electromagnetism and how electricity is generated.