Area of a Square: Derivation & Integration

• Thread starter quantumlight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Square
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in deriving the area of a diagonal strip in a square, with one side on the x-axis and the other on the y-axis. The textbook gives a solution of (2T-u)du for u from 0 to 2T and (2T+u)du for u from -2T to 0. The speaker tried to use the idea of subtracting two triangles or using a parallelogram, but was unable to get rid of the square root of 2 term. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for help in finding the correct derivation.
quantumlight
So I was reviewing my random process notes. In it there is an integral that they have that I can't seem to get the right derivation of when they try to simply the math for ergodic mean. Basically, you have the following:

A square from (-T,T) on both the x-axis and y-axis. What they want to do is integrate over the diagonal lines u = x - y where u is a constant.

So rather than a double integral over dx and dy from (-T, T) for each, they now have one integral du from (-2T, 2T).

The part that I have a problem with is that the derivation of the area of the diagonal strip u = x-y which the textbook says can be shown to be (2T - u)du for u from 0 to 2T and (2T+u) for u from -2T to 0.

So the way I did it was to think of that diagonal strip as subtraction of two triangles. Which when I do the math ends up giving me the area as (2T-u)du - 1/2*(du)*(du). I tried to imagine this as the equation for the area of the strip if it were to be turned into a parallelogram, which means that the extra bit of area would be 1/2*(du)*du) which is why its subtracted and as du→0, it reduces to (2T-u)du. But the part where the base of the parallelogram equals (2T-u) just doesn't make sense.

I am wondering, what is the right way to do this derivation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
quantumlight said:
So I was reviewing my random process notes. In it there is an integral that they have that I can't seem to get the right derivation of when they try to simply the math for ergodic mean. Basically, you have the following:

A square from (-T,T) on both the x-axis and y-axis. What they want to do is integrate over the diagonal lines u = x - y where u is a constant.

So rather than a double integral over dx and dy from (-T, T) for each, they now have one integral du from (-2T, 2T).

The part that I have a problem with is that the derivation of the area of the diagonal strip u = x-y which the textbook says can be shown to be (2T - u)du for u from 0 to 2T and (2T+u) for u from -2T to 0.

So the way I did it was to think of that diagonal strip as subtraction of two triangles. Which when I do the math ends up giving me the area as (2T-u)du - 1/2*(du)*(du). I tried to imagine this as the equation for the area of the strip if it were to be turned into a parallelogram, which means that the extra bit of area would be 1/2*(du)*du) which is why its subtracted and as du→0, it reduces to (2T-u)du. But the part where the base of the parallelogram equals (2T-u) just doesn't make sense.

I am wondering, what is the right way to do this derivation?
No. Since each strip has "infinitesimal" width, think of it as a line, not a parallelogram or
difference of two triangles. If u> 0, in the upper left half of the square, u is positive while in the lower right half, u is negative.

If u> 0 (upper left half), one endpoint of the line segment is on y=T and the other on x= -T. Since u= x- y, If y= T, x= u- T so that point is (u-T, T) and if x= -T, u= -T- y, y= -u-T so that point is (-T, -u-T). The length of that line segment is [itex]\sqrt{((u-T)- (-T))^2+ (T- (-u-T))^2}= \sqrt{(u+2T)^2+ (u+2T)^2}= (u+ 2T)\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Taking the thickness to be "du", the area is [itex]\sqrt{2}(u+ 2T)du[/itex].

If u< 0 (lower right half), one endpoint of the line segment is on x= T and the other is on y= -T. Since u= x- y, if X= T, u= T- y, y= T- u so that point is (T, T- u) and if y= -T, u= x+ T, x= u- T so that point is (u- T, -T). The length of that line segment is [itex]\sqrt{((T- (u-T))^2+ ((T-u)- (-T))^2}= \sqrt{(2T- u)^2+ (2T- u)^2}= (2T- u)\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Taking the width to be "du", the area is [itex]\sqrt{2}(2T- u)du[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried that but was having trouble getting rid of the square root of two term. Do you think that's just an error in the textbook?

I tried to think of du as [itex]\stackrel{1}{2}sqrt{(dt)^{2}}[/itex], but that only makes it 1/2 rather than root 2.

The reason I used the parallelogram was that it got rid of the 1/2 term in from and gave me something that was just (2T-u)du

What is the formula for finding the area of a square?

The formula for finding the area of a square is side length squared, or A = s^2. This means that you multiply the length of one side of the square by itself to get the total area.

How is the formula for finding the area of a square derived?

The formula for finding the area of a square is derived by using the concept of integration. This involves breaking down the square into smaller, equal-sized rectangles and finding the area of each rectangle. Then, by adding up all of the areas of the rectangles, we can find the total area of the square.

What is the difference between the derivative and the integral of a square's area formula?

The derivative of the area formula for a square gives us the rate of change of the area with respect to the side length. This means that we can find out how much the area changes when we change the length of one side of the square. On the other hand, the integral of the area formula for a square gives us the total area by adding up all of the smaller areas of the rectangles that make up the square.

How is the area of a square related to the area of a rectangle?

The area of a square and the area of a rectangle are related because a square is a special type of rectangle where all four sides are equal in length. This means that the formula for finding the area of a square, A = s^2, is a special case of the formula for finding the area of a rectangle, A = l*w, where l and w are the length and width of the rectangle.

Can the formula for finding the area of a square be used for other shapes?

No, the formula for finding the area of a square, A = s^2, can only be used for squares. This is because squares have a specific shape and size, and the formula is derived specifically for this shape. Other shapes have their own formulas for finding their area, such as A = π*r^2 for circles and A = ½*b*h for triangles.