Area of Outer Triangle composed of two inner triangles

In summary, the formula for finding the area of an outer triangle composed of two inner triangles is A = A<sub>1</sub> + A<sub>2</sub> - A<sub>3</sub>, where A<sub>1</sub> and A<sub>2</sub> are the areas of the two inner triangles and A<sub>3</sub> is the area of the overlap between the two inner triangles. The areas of the inner triangles can be determined by using the formula A = 1/2 * b * h or using trigonometric functions. This formula has significance in various applications and cannot be applied to all shapes. There may be limitations to its accuracy in certain cases
zak100

Homework Statement

1. [/B]In the figure below, AB=BC=CD. If the area of triangle CDE is 42, what is the area of triangle ADG.

See the attached figure

Homework Equations

I think we can start from area of triangle which is given by:

Area of triangle CDE = ½ * CE * DE

Or 42 = ½ * CE * DE

The Attempt at a Solution

area of outer traingle composed of inner traingles ets.jpg

I can do some work to transform CE into AD or in my opinion AD = 3 * CE. But the question does not provide any relation between DE & DG. This is what I want to know.[/B]

Somebody please guide me how to solve it.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: They are similar triangles.

AD = 3*CD, not CE

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

1. [/B]In the figure below, AB=BC=CD. If the area of triangle CDE is 42, what is the area of triangle ADG.

See the attached figure

Homework Equations

I think we can start from area of triangle which is given by:

Area of triangle CDE = ½ * CE * DE

Or 42 = ½ * CE * DE

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 207329
I can do some work to transform CE into AD or in my opinion AD = 3 * CE. But the question does not provide any relation between DE & DG. This is what I want to know.[/B]

Somebody please guide me how to solve it.

Zulfi.

Use standard properties of similar triangles.

Hi,
Thanks for your hints. I have done following but i don't think that its close to the solution:
AB = BC= CD
or 42 = 1/2 * CE * DE
84 = CE * DE
CD^2 = CE^2 + DE^2
CD/AD = CE/AG = DE/DG

AD = 3CD
1/3 = CE/AG = DE/DG

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Thanks for your hints. I have done following but i don't think that its close to the solution:
AB = BC= CD
or 42 = 1/2 * CE * DE
84 = CE * DE
CD^2 = CE^2 + DE^2
CD/AD = CE/AG = DE/DG

AD = 3CD
1/3 = CE/AG = DE/DG

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.
You have the information there, if you rearrange it some.

Take this: AD = 3CD
and this
1/3 = DE/DG

and this: 84 = CE * DE
What is the formula (in side lengths) for the area of the big triangle? Can you substitute in things (which you can get numerical values for), to solve for a number value of the area of the big triangle?

@zak100, here's a different, but one that is related to yours, to help you get some geometric intuition. What's the area of the large rectangle if we are given this information:
AC = 3 * BC
CE = 3 * CD
Area of small rectangle = 10

Rect.png

Likes scottdave
Hi,
Mr. Mark44. You have provided me a good question. I would try it once i finish my current problem.
Mr. scottdave: how you got this relationship?
1/3 = DE/DG

Can it be applied to bases also?

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
1/3 = DE/DG
This is simple algebra, and comes from the equation DG = 3 * DE, which is equivalent to DE = (1/3) * DG

zak100 said:
Yes, the same idea can be applied.

zak100 said:
Mr. Mark44. You have provided me a good question. I would try it once i finish my current problem.
You should look at it now, since you're having so much difficulty with the posted problem. If you understand the relationships between similar triangles and between similar rectangles, the problem I gave can be solved by inspection (no writing needed).

Likes scottdave
zak100 said:
Hi,
1/3 = DE/DG

Zulfi.
You actually had it already, when you wrote: 1/3 = CE/AG = DE/DG
You should really try the problem which @Mark44 posted with the rectangles (note the drawing is not to scale, though). Once you understand rectangles, solving for triangles is an easy step from that.

Hi,
Thanks for your advise. If i leave it, it would be a diversion. I may concatenate from problems to problems. Actually i was not starting with a proper eq. My problem was to find the are of ADG, so i must write its eq. first:

area of ADG = 1/2 AG * DG
= 1/2 * 3CE * 3DE
= 1/2 * 9 * CE * DE
= 1/2 * 9 * 84 (Note CE * DE = 84 from post 6)
= 378
Thanks for your interest and continuous guidance.

I would now consider the rectangle problem.
Zulfi.

zak100 said:
area of ADG = 1/2 AG * DG
= 1/2 * 3CE * 3DE
= 1/2 * 9 * CE * DE
= 1/2 * 9 * 84 (Note CE * DE = 84 from post 6)
= 378
Thanks for your interest and continuous guidance.

I would now consider the rectangle problem.
Zulfi.
Yes you have the correct answer. Once you complete the rectangle, hopefully you will see a pattern.

Hi,
I have solved the rectangle prob:
Area of large rect = AC * CE
= 3 * BC * 3 * CD
= 9 * BC * CD
Note BC * CD = area of large rect = 10 (given)

Area of large rectangle = 9 * 10
= 90

Thanks for this prob.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
I have solved the rectangle prob:
Area of large rect = AC * CE
= 3 * BC * 3 * CD
= 9 * BC * CD
Note BC * CD = area of large rect = 10 (given)

Area of large rectangle = 9 * 10
= 90
Yes, that's correct. The idea is that since both dimensions of the small rectangle are tripled, the area of the large rectangle will be 3 * 3 = 9 times as large.
It's exactly the same idea as in your problem with the triangles. That is, the large triangle will have an area 9 times as large as the small upper triangle.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of an outer triangle composed of two inner triangles?

The formula for finding the area of an outer triangle composed of two inner triangles is A = A1 + A2 - A3, where A1 and A2 are the areas of the two inner triangles and A3 is the area of the overlap between the two inner triangles.

2. How do you determine the areas of the inner triangles?

The areas of the inner triangles can be determined by using the formula A = 1/2 * b * h, where b is the base and h is the height of the triangle. Alternatively, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the areas.

3. What is the significance of finding the area of an outer triangle composed of two inner triangles?

Finding the area of an outer triangle composed of two inner triangles can help in various geometric and real-world applications. It can be used to determine the total area of a complex shape, to calculate the amount of material needed for construction, and to analyze patterns and structures in nature.

4. Can the formula for finding the area of an outer triangle composed of two inner triangles be applied to any shape?

No, the formula can only be applied to a specific type of shape where two inner triangles are overlapping to form an outer triangle. It cannot be applied to all shapes, as the concept of overlapping inner triangles may not be applicable.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding the area of an outer triangle composed of two inner triangles?

Yes, the formula may not be accurate if the two inner triangles are not fully overlapping or if they are overlapping in a complex and irregular manner. In such cases, it is best to break down the shape into smaller, simpler triangles and use the formula for each individual triangle to find the total area.