Find the lengths of the sides of the outer triangle

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the problem involves finding the lengths of sides NO and OP in triangle NOP. The inner triangle cannot be solved using the 30-60-90 triangle equation, but can be solved using the Pythagorean formula. However, it is easier to use the properties of similar triangles to find the length of ON without writing anything down. The tangent of the angle at P is the same for both triangles, implying that the ratios between the lengths of sides remain the same. The final solution is OP = 58.3 and NO = 29.98.
zak100

Homework Statement

[/B]What are the lengths of sides NO and OP in triangle NOP?

See the attached figure

Homework Equations

[/B]I don’t think that the inner triangle is the 30-60-90 triangle so we can't use the eq of 30-60-90 triangle. However we can use the pythagorous formula to determine the length of hypotnuse of inner triangle. Let X be the other end of hypotenuse of inner triangle:

(40)2+ (24)2 = XP2

So XP = 46.64

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry I can't figure out how to attempt this question.

Somebody please guide me how to solve it.

Zulfi.
ets length of sides of outer triangle p260Q8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't there a ratio involved with similar triangles?

Look at the base. One is 40; the other is 40+10.

The ratio of bases is 40/50. You can apply that to other sides.

Likes ElectricRay, zak100 and scottdave
zak100 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]What are the lengths of sides NO and OP in triangle NOP?

See the attached figure

Homework Equations

[/B]I don’t think that the inner triangle is the 30-60-90 triangle so we can't use the eq of 30-60-90 triangle. However we can use the pythagorous formula to determine the length of hypotnuse of inner triangle. Let X be the other end of hypotenuse of inner triangle:

(40)2+ (24)2 = XP2

So XP = 46.64
The problem doesn't ask for XP. It asks for NO, the vertical side on the left, and OP, the hypotenuse of the larger triangle.
zak100 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry I can't figure out how to attempt this question.

Somebody please guide me how to solve it.

Zulfi.View attachment 207030
Follow @magoo's recommendation -- these are similar triangles.

Skins said:
First considering the "inner triangle" The tangent of the angle at P is 24/40, i.e. tan(angle at P) = 24/40. So we know the tangent of that angle and that tangent has to be the same for the "outer triangle" as well. So tan(angle at P) = 24/40 = x/(40+10) or 24/40 = x/50. Solve for x and you'll have the length OP. So now you have 2 sides of a triangle and now it's trivial to find the hypotenuse OP. (hint - Pythagorian theorem)
It's much simpler to use the properties of similar triangles -- one can find the length of ON without even writing anything down. Trig isn't needed at all.

Likes SammyS
Mark44 said:
It's much simpler to use the properties of similar triangles -- one can find the length of ON without even writing anything down. Trig isn't needed at all.
One of the beautiful things about Mathematics is that there are often several ways of describing a problem or a solution and they imply the same thing yet each way can be uniquely enlightening, . In this case I am applying the properties of similar triangles just as you suggest, namely the tangent is going to remain the same in both similar triangles since the ratio of the opposite and adjacent side of similar triangles will be the same. My solution doesn't require writing anything down or doing any trigonometry to reach the answer. It only serves to illustrate why the property of similar triangles works, because the ratios between the lengths of sides remains the same. :smile:

Mod note: The post referred to below has been deleted for the reason given here.
This is coming very close to a complete solution, which is something that PF helpers are forbidden. Telling the poster to use "similar triangles" is one thing, but going through it step-by-step is something we are not supposed to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
Mod note: The post referred to below has been deleted for the reason given here.
This is coming very close to a complete solution, which is something that PF helpers are forbidden. Telling the poster to use "similar triangles" is one thing, but going through it step-by-step is something we are not supposed to do.

Okay, fair enough. My bad. I came too close to an actual solution. In retrospect may I rephrase and provide the hint "Consider whether or not the tangent of the angle at P is the same for both triangles and if so what does that imply about the sides of each triangle".

In the future I'll take care to offer helpful hints and avoid explanations in which the limit of explanation approaches an exact solution. :)

Hi,
Thanks my friends for your responses. I did not check the earlier close solution which has now been deleted. First i found XP. Note X is a point on the hypotnuse OP intersected by the altitude of smaller triangle and it was 46.64. After that i read the post of magoo. Thanks to him. Then i started reading the theory from the book and i was able to make a following relationship: (Note AP is the base of smaller triangle, AX is the altitude and XP is the hypotenuse of smaller triangle.) So
OP/XP = NP/AP
OP/46.64 = 50/40
OP = 58.3.
Now
(58.3)^2 = (50) ^2 + (NO)^2
(NO)^2 = 898
NO = 29.98

Answers are correct.
Thanks everybody.

Zulfi.

It can be easily done using trigonometry, and similar triangles. PM me if you still have trouble.

1. How do I find the length of the sides of the outer triangle?

To find the length of the sides of the outer triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. This will depend on the given information and the type of triangle.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it relate to finding the length of the sides of a triangle?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be used to find the length of the sides of a triangle when given the length of two sides.

3. Can I use the Law of Cosines to find the length of the sides of the outer triangle?

Yes, the Law of Cosines can be used to find the length of the sides of any triangle, including the outer triangle. This law relates the length of a side to the cosine of its opposite angle and the lengths of the other two sides.

4. Are there any other methods or formulas for finding the length of the sides of a triangle?

Aside from the Pythagorean theorem and the Law of Cosines, you can also use the Law of Sines and the properties of similar triangles to find the length of the sides of a triangle. It is important to carefully analyze the given information and the type of triangle to determine the most appropriate method to use.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the length of the sides of the outer triangle?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the length of the sides of the outer triangle. However, it is important to remember to use the correct formula and input the correct values to get an accurate result. You should also be familiar with the calculator's trigonometric functions and how to use them for finding the length of sides in a triangle.