Area of Triangle ABC: Find Solution

In summary, to find the area of triangle ABC, we first find the area of the rectangle inside the triangle, which can be done by finding the relationships between the known areas of the small triangles. Adding this to the areas of the small triangles, we get a final answer of 63 for [ABC]. Drawing a diagram can also be helpful in visualizing the problem.
youngstudent16

Homework Statement

In triangle ABC, ∠C=90∘. Let D, E, F be points on sides BC, AC, AB, respectively, so that quadrilateral CDFE is a rectangle. If [BDF]=7 and [AEF]=28, then find [ABC].

Homework Equations

Area of a rectangle, and triangle. Also can cut up the rectangle into some triangles

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what [ABC] is. Is it asking for the perimeter or the area? I'm assuming area so I know the 1/2bh=28 for one and 7 for the other. I have to figure out some relation between those and the rectangle to get the sides of the rectangle in order to find the total area.

Physics news on Phys.org
OH I figured it out with similar triangles between the two known areas getting 63 for the final answer

Drawing helps

[ABC] is the area of the triangle. Try finding the area of the rectangle inside the triangle. Once you do that, you can add it together to the areas of the small triangles to get the total area of [ABC].

What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A represents the area, base is the length of the triangle's base, and height is the height of the triangle.

How do you find the base or height of a triangle?

The base and height of a triangle can be found by measuring the length of the sides of the triangle. If the triangle is a right triangle, the base and height can also be found using the Pythagorean theorem.

What is the unit of measurement for the area of a triangle?

The unit of measurement for the area of a triangle is typically square units, such as square inches, square feet, or square centimeters.

Can the area of a triangle be negative?

No, the area of a triangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space inside the triangle.

What if the triangle is an equilateral triangle?

If the triangle is an equilateral triangle, meaning all three sides are equal in length, the formula for finding the area is simplified to A = √3/4 * s^2, where s represents the length of one side of the triangle.