Area of revolution of hyperbola

In summary, the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region in the first quadrant bounded by the hyperbola y2−x2=4 and the lines y=0, x=3 and x=5 about the y− axis can be calculated by taking the integral of 2x*π*dx*√(4+x2) from x=3 to x=5. The "hole" from x=0 to x=3 does not need to be incorporated as only the cylindrical shells with radii from 3 to 5 are necessary to calculate the total volume.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region in the first quadrant bounded by the hyperbola y2−x2=4 and the lines y=0, x=3 and x=5 about the y− axis.

Homework Equations

Nothing specific...general equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I would write it as
I was wondering if it was just 2x*pi*dx*(√4+x2) from x=3 and x=5? Or would I have to incorporate the "hole" from x=0 to x=3.

Physics news on Phys.org
~Sam~ said:
I was wondering if it was just 2x*pi*dx*(√4+x2) from x=3 and x=5? Or would I have to incorporate the "hole" from x=0 to x=3.

Hi ~Sam~! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

Yes, just ∫35 2x*π*dx*√(4+x2) …

you're "adding" the volumes of the cylindrical shells that make up the whole shape, so you only need the shells with radii from 3 to 5. :smile:

Related to Area of revolution of hyperbola

1. What is the formula for finding the area of revolution of a hyperbola?

The formula for finding the area of revolution of a hyperbola is A=2π∫(y√(1+(dy/dx)2))dx, where y is the function of the hyperbola and the integral is taken over the desired interval of rotation.

2. How is the area of revolution of a hyperbola different from that of a circle or ellipse?

The area of revolution of a hyperbola is different from that of a circle or ellipse because the shape of a hyperbola is not symmetric in all directions. This means that the cross-sections of a hyperbola when rotated do not produce perfect circles, unlike a circle or ellipse.

3. Can the area of revolution of a hyperbola be negative?

No, the area of revolution of a hyperbola cannot be negative. This is because the integral used to calculate the area only takes into account positive values, and the area is always calculated as a positive value.

4. How does the eccentricity of a hyperbola affect its area of revolution?

The eccentricity of a hyperbola does not have a direct effect on its area of revolution. However, it does impact the shape of the hyperbola and therefore the cross-sectional area when rotated. A larger eccentricity results in a more elongated hyperbola and a smaller eccentricity results in a more circular hyperbola.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the area of revolution of a hyperbola?

Yes, there is a specific method for finding the area of revolution of a hyperbola. It involves using the formula mentioned in the first question and integrating the function of the hyperbola over the desired interval of rotation. It is also important to take into account the symmetry of the hyperbola and adjust the limits of integration accordingly.