Area of sphere-continuum mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of a sphere using the integral ∫∫n⊗ndA, where dA = sinθdθdφ. The unit normal vector is mentioned and its purpose depends on the context. It is also mentioned that in spherical coordinates, the surface normal vector is the same as the unit vector in the radial direction. The conversation ends with a thank you for directing the person to the right answer.
merav1985
suppose I have a sphere that has radius with the vlaue of 1.
the integral is:∫∫n⊗ndA
where dA = sinθdθdφ

what is n⊗n?
I'm supposed to the area of the sphere.

This question was in an exam in continuum mechanics in the Technion

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the tensor product of the unit normal vector by itself. For which purpose such an expression is considered depends on the environment

Welcome to Physics Forums!

What's the context? Usually ##\vec{a} \otimes \vec{b}## denotes the tensor product of two vectors. In Cartesian components it denotes the tensor ##T_{jk}=a_j b_k##. For a unit vector ##\vec{n}## it's also the projection operator to this direction, ##\vec{a}_n=\vec{n} \otimes \vec{n} \cdot \vec{a}=\vec{n} (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{a})##.

I'm supposed to find the area of the sphere.

This question was in an exam in continuum mechanics in the Technion

what is n in sphere coordinates?

If the sphere is determined by the equation ##\boldsymbol r=\boldsymbol r(\theta,\phi)## then the area element can be expressed in outdated terms as follows ##dA=\Big|\frac{\partial\boldsymbol r}{\partial \theta}\times\frac{\partial\boldsymbol r}{\partial \phi}\Big|d\theta d\phi##. I can not find another reason to mention the normal vector in this context

On the surface of a sphere with its center at the origin, n is the same as the unit vector in the spherical coordinate radial direction.

A sphere can be parametrized by spherical coordinates (with the exception of the two points at the polar axis):
$$\vec{x}(\vartheta,\varphi)=R \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
The coordinate lines build a mesh, defining tangent vectors which span the surface-vector elements
$$\mathrm{d} \vec{F} = \mathrm{d} \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial \vartheta} \times \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial \varphi} = R^2 \sin \vartheta \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
The surface normal vectors are the unit vectors in direction of ##\vec{x}##, i.e.,
$$\vec{n} = \frac{\vec{x}}{|\vec{x}|}=\frac{\vec{x}}{R} = \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
To evaluate the surface of the sphere you just take the modulus of the surface vectors and integrate over ##\vartheta \in [0,\pi]##, ##\varphi \in [0,2 \pi]##:
$$S=\int_{0}^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{\varphi} R^2 \sin \vartheta=4 \pi R^2,$$
as it should be.

I'm still not sure, what all this has to do with your original question, where you look at a dyad (Kornecker product ##\vec{n} \otimes \vec{n}##), which is a 2nd-rank tensor by definition.

vanhees71 said:
A sphere can be parametrized by spherical coordinates (with the exception of the two points at the polar axis):
$$\vec{x}(\vartheta,\varphi)=R \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
The coordinate lines build a mesh, defining tangent vectors which span the surface-vector elements
$$\mathrm{d} \vec{F} = \mathrm{d} \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial \vartheta} \times \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial \varphi} = R^2 \sin \vartheta \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
The surface normal vectors are the unit vectors in direction of ##\vec{x}##, i.e.,
$$\vec{n} = \frac{\vec{x}}{|\vec{x}|}=\frac{\vec{x}}{R} = \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
To evaluate the surface of the sphere you just take the modulus of the surface vectors and integrate over ##\vartheta \in [0,\pi]##, ##\varphi \in [0,2 \pi]##:
$$S=\int_{0}^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{\varphi} R^2 \sin \vartheta=4 \pi R^2,$$
as it should be.

I'm still not sure, what all this has to do with your original question, where you look at a dyad (Kornecker product ##\vec{n} \otimes \vec{n}##), which is a 2nd-rank tensor by definition.

thank you all very much! you have all directed me to the right answer

What is the area of a sphere in continuum mechanics?

The area of a sphere in continuum mechanics refers to the surface area of a three-dimensional object that has a uniform distribution of matter and properties throughout its volume. It is often used to calculate the surface tension and other physical properties of spherical objects in fluid mechanics and material science.

How is the area of a sphere calculated in continuum mechanics?

The area of a sphere can be calculated using the formula A = 4πr², where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the sphere. This formula assumes that the sphere is a perfect, mathematically smooth object with no irregularities or imperfections.

What are the applications of calculating the area of a sphere in continuum mechanics?

The area of a sphere has various applications in continuum mechanics, including calculating the force required to deform a spherical object, analyzing the behavior of fluids on curved surfaces, and determining the stability and strength of spherical structures.

How does the area of a sphere in continuum mechanics differ from traditional geometry?

In traditional geometry, the area of a sphere is calculated using the formula A = 4πr², which assumes a perfect, mathematically smooth object. In continuum mechanics, the area of a sphere takes into account the material properties and distribution of matter within the sphere, making it a more accurate representation of real-world spherical objects.

What are some challenges in calculating the area of a sphere in continuum mechanics?

One of the main challenges in calculating the area of a sphere in continuum mechanics is accurately determining the material properties and distribution of matter within the sphere. This requires advanced mathematical models and experimental techniques to accurately measure and analyze the sphere's properties. Additionally, the presence of imperfections and irregularities in real-world spherical objects can also pose challenges in calculating their surface area accurately.