Area of Triangle ABC: Calculating with Points A,B,C

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a triangle formed by the intersection of two lines, l_1 and l_2, and a plane, \pi. The points of intersection, A, B, and C are calculated using the given equations and replacing the variables with the values of t and s. The area of the triangle is then calculated using the cross product of vectors AB and AC. However, there is a discrepancy in the final answer and the person is seeking assistance in finding the error in their calculation.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I am working with an old exam that I don't get same answer.
Line \(\displaystyle l_1(x,y,z)=(1,0,1)+t(2,-1,-2)\) and \(\displaystyle l_2(x,y,z)=(2,-5,0)+s(-1,2,1)\) intercept on point A also interpect on plane \(\displaystyle \pi:-x+2y-z+4=0\) in point B and C, decide area of triangle ABC

Progress:
Point A:
If we equal them we get \(\displaystyle t=\frac{7}{3}\) and \(\displaystyle s=-\frac{11}{3}\) that means \(\displaystyle A=(\frac{17}{3},-\frac{7}{3},-\frac{8}{3})\)
Point B:
We replace \(\displaystyle x,y,z\) in the plane with \(\displaystyle l_1\) and get \(\displaystyle t=1\)
so \(\displaystyle B=(3,-1,-1)\)
Point C:
We replace \(\displaystyle x,y,z\) in the plane with \(\displaystyle l_2\) and get \(\displaystyle s=2\) that means \(\displaystyle C=(0,-1,2)\)
Remember area of a triangle is half of the area of paralellogram that means
\(\displaystyle \text{Area}=\frac{1}{2}\left|\textbf{AB}\times \textbf{AC} \right|\)
and \(\displaystyle AB=(-\frac{8}{3},\frac{4}{3},-\frac{5}{3})\)
\(\displaystyle AC=(-\frac{17}{3},\frac{4}{3},\frac{14}{3})\)
so the area is \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{45881}}{19}\) which does not agree with the facit, what I am doing wrong?
edit: I forgot to say that cross product of AB x AC is \(\displaystyle (\frac{76}{9}, \frac{197}{9}, 4)\)

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To denote the area with vectors and their cross, I would use the $\LaTeX$ code:

[MATH]\text{Area}=\frac{1}{2}\left|\textbf{AB}\times \textbf{AC} \right|[/MATH]

to get:

\(\displaystyle \text{Area}=\frac{1}{2}\left|\textbf{AB}\times \textbf{AC} \right|\)

1. How do I calculate the area of a triangle using points A, B, and C?

To calculate the area of a triangle using points A, B, and C, you can use the formula A = 1/2 * base * height. The base can be found by calculating the distance between points A and B, and the height can be found by calculating the distance from point C to the line connecting points A and B.

2. Can I use any three points on a triangle to calculate the area?

Yes, as long as the three points form a triangle and are not in a straight line, you can use them to calculate the area using the formula A = 1/2 * base * height.

3. Is there a different formula for calculating the area of a triangle when using points instead of side lengths?

No, the formula for calculating the area of a triangle remains the same regardless of whether you are using points or side lengths. However, when using points, you will need to calculate the base and height using the distances between the points.

4. Can I use negative numbers for the coordinates of the points when calculating the area of a triangle?

Yes, you can use negative numbers for the coordinates of the points. Just make sure to use the absolute value when calculating the distances between the points to ensure accurate results.

5. What units should I use for the area when calculating with points A, B, and C?

The units for the area will depend on the units used for the coordinates of the points. For example, if the coordinates are in meters, then the area will be in square meters. Make sure to use consistent units throughout the calculation.