Aristotle's Book Recommendation

In summary, the conversation was about a project to learn Physics by understanding its intellectual evolution and the search for a commentary on Aristotle's book on Physics. The purpose of this is to see how theory is built from raw observations. A recommendation for a book that examines Aristotle's Physics in a critical way and another book that discusses the relationship between mathematics and physics was also mentioned.
Hamilton080
I have started a project to learn Physics by understanding its intellectual evolution, instead of directly jumping into the Physics generalities/paradigms/theories described in textbooks. Now I started reading Rene Dugas' History of Mechanics book, which starts with Aristotle as the starting point. I started searching Aristotle's books on Physics, there is one book. I want a modern reflection on it or commentary on it, there are many commentary books, I am not able to know the best one. The purpose of going for commentary instead of the original is because to hear from an expert on the situation. If a proper book to understand Aristotle in the field of Physics is suggested, I will be really happy.

By doing this I am trying to see how theory is built from raw observations. Any advice will also be most helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I don't know a specific book on the topic but recently in ''To Explain the World: The Discovery of Modern Science'', Steven Weinberg examined the Aristotle Physics in a critic way ...

Ssnow

Likes Hamilton080
Mathematics and the Physical World by Morris Kline is nice book. Talks about how the demands of physics led to developments in mathematics.

Likes Hamilton080

Related to Aristotle's Book Recommendation

1. What is Aristotle's Book Recommendation?

Aristotle's Book Recommendation is a list of books curated by the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle. It includes works on a variety of topics such as ethics, politics, and psychology, and is considered to be a valuable resource for understanding Aristotle's philosophy.

2. How many books are included in Aristotle's Book Recommendation?

The exact number of books in Aristotle's Book Recommendation is not known. However, based on references in Aristotle's writings, it is estimated that the list includes around 158 works by various authors.

3. How did Aristotle choose the books for his recommendation?

Aristotle chose the books for his recommendation based on their usefulness and relevance to his own philosophy. He also considered the reputation and authority of the authors when making his selection.

4. Are all of the books in Aristotle's Book Recommendation still available today?

No, not all of the books in Aristotle's Book Recommendation are still available today. Some have been lost over time, while others have been preserved through translations and copies.

5. Can anyone access Aristotle's Book Recommendation?

Yes, Aristotle's Book Recommendation is available to anyone. Many of the books included in the recommendation are still widely read and studied today, and can be found in libraries and online databases.