Arithmetic Homework: Showing Bezout Theorem

In summary, we are given a set of mutually prime numbers and we need to show that for any given set of integers, there exists a solution that satisfies a certain condition involving these numbers. This is proven using the Bezout theorem and the fact that the given numbers are mutually prime. We also need to show that two groups are isomorphic, which is proven using a morphism that maps one group to the other. This morphism is shown to be injective and surjective.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

We are given ##a_1,...,a_n ## in ## \mathbb{N}^\star ##, all mutually prime, and ## a = a_1 \times ... \times a_n ##.

Show that for all ##(b_1,...,b_n)\in\mathbb{Z}^n##, there is ##\beta \in \mathbb{Z} ## such that for all ##x \in \mathbb{Z} ## :

## (\forall i = 1 ... n, \ x \equiv b_i (\text{mod } a_i) ) \iff (x\equiv \beta \ (\text{mod } a))##

Homework Equations

Bezout theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Please could you tell me if this is correct ? Thanks !

The idea is that for all ##i = 1... n##, ##a_i## and ## a/a_i ## are mutually prime, so that there are ##(u_i,v_i)\in \mathbb{Z}^2## such that ## 1 = a_i u_i + \frac{a}{a_i} v_i ##. I can now write ## b_i = a_i b_i u_i + \frac{a}{a_i} b_i v_i ##

(##\Rightarrow##) :
We have : ## a_i | ( x - b_i) \Rightarrow a_i | (x - a_i b_i u_i - \frac{a}{a_i} b_i v_i ) \Rightarrow a_i | (x - \frac{a}{a_i} b_i v_i) ##.
Also, for ## i\neq j##, we have that ## a_i | \frac{a}{a_j} b_j v_j \Rightarrow a_i | \sum_{j\neq i} \frac{a}{a_j} b_j v_j ##

Setting ##\beta = \sum_{ j} \frac{a}{a_j} b_j v_j ##, we have that ##a_i | (x - \beta) ##. Since the ##a_i## are mutually prime, ## a| (x-\beta) ##

(##\Leftarrow##) :
##a## is the least common multiple of ##(a_1,...,a_n)## (because they are mutually prime).
So for all ## i = 1...n##, ## a_i | (x-\beta) ##.
Also, reusing the fact that ## a_i | \sum_{j\neq i} \frac{a}{a_j} b_j v_j ##, we have that ##a_i | (x - \frac{a}{a_i} b_i v_i) = x - b_i + a_i b_i u_i##.
Therefore ## a_i | ( x - b_i) ##

Physics news on Phys.org
The second part of the question is :
' Show that ## \mathbb{Z}/a\mathbb{Z} ## and ## \mathbb{Z}/a_1\mathbb{Z} \times ... \times \mathbb{Z}/a_n\mathbb{Z} ## are isomorphic. Use ##f(\text{cl}_a(x)) = (\text{cl}_{a_1}(x),...\text{cl}_{a_n}(x))## '

where ##\text{cl}_u(x) = \{ y\in \mathbb{Z} , u | y-x \} ####\bullet## Injectivity of ##f##:
## f(\text{cl}_a(x)) = f(\text{cl}_a(x')) \Rightarrow \forall i = 1...n \ \text{cl}_{a_i}(x) = \text{cl}_{a_i}(x') \Rightarrow \forall i = 1...n \ a_i | x-x' ##.
Since the ##a_i## are mutually prime, ## a | x - x' ## and therefore ##\text{cl}_a(x) = \text{cl}_a(x')##

##\bullet## Surjectivity of ##f##:
Let ##y_i \in \mathbb{Z}/a_i\mathbb{Z}##, for all ## i = 1...n##. There are ##x_i,...,x_n \in \mathbb{Z} ## such that ## y_i = \text{cl}_{a_i}(x_i)##.
We are looking for ##x## such that for all ##i = 1...n##, ## \text{cl}_{a_i}(x_i) = \text{cl}_{a_i}(x) ##. So we must find ##x## that solves ## a_i | x - x_i ## for all ##i = 1...n##. According to question 1, it happens if and only if ## a | x - \beta ##. So ##x = \beta ## works and ##f(\text{cl}_a(\beta)) = (\text{cl}_{a_1}(x_1),...\text{cl}_{a_n}(x_n)) = (y_1,...,y_n) ##

##\bullet## ##f## is a morphism from the group ##(\mathbb{Z}/a\mathbb{Z},+)## to ## (\mathbb{Z}/a_1\mathbb{Z} \times ... \times \mathbb{Z}/a_n\mathbb{Z},+)##, we just need to use the fact that ## \text{cl}_u(x) + \text{cl}_u(x') = \text{cl}_u(x+x') ##

Are you ok with that ?

1. What is Bezout's Theorem?

Bezout's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in number theory that states that for any two nonzero integers a and b, there exist integers x and y such that ax + by = gcd(a,b), where gcd(a,b) is the greatest common divisor of a and b.

2. How is Bezout's Theorem related to arithmetic homework?

Bezout's Theorem is often used in arithmetic homework problems involving finding the greatest common divisor of two integers or solving linear Diophantine equations. It provides a useful tool for solving these types of problems.

3. Can you give an example of how to use Bezout's Theorem in arithmetic homework?

Sure! Let's say you are asked to find the greatest common divisor of 24 and 36. Using Bezout's Theorem, we can find integers x and y such that 24x + 36y = gcd(24,36). In this case, x = 1 and y = -1, so gcd(24,36) = 24*1 + 36*(-1) = 12.

4. Is Bezout's Theorem always applicable in arithmetic homework problems?

No, Bezout's Theorem only applies to integers. It cannot be used for fractions or decimal numbers. Additionally, it only applies to problems involving finding the greatest common divisor or solving linear Diophantine equations.

5. Is it important to understand Bezout's Theorem for arithmetic homework?

Yes, understanding Bezout's Theorem is crucial for solving certain types of arithmetic problems. It is also a fundamental concept in number theory and can help build a strong foundation for further studies in mathematics.