Armature and field winding of Generator

In summary: In summary, it is difficult to transfer large amounts of power to or from the rotor, via slip rings or commutators.
psvtrajan
why can we make both armature winding and field winding as a rotor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Question makes little sense to me.

You can.

But why?

I suppose contra-rotating armatures would look cool for a Hollywood sci-fi FX.

Do you mean, the poles on the rotor and the armature on the stator? This is a synchronous generator. You need a rectifier in order to get d.c.

Or do you mean double-rotor d.c. generator ?However this is a synchronous generator too.

See-for instance-

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/251971296_A_constant-frequency_double-rotor_generator_for_wind_power_application

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the OP is asking about building the generator inside out. With the field winding on the stator and the armature on the rotor.

Yes, that will work. Either arrangement produces the same relative motion.

However it will, be very difficult to transfer large amounts of power to or from the rotor, via slip rings or commutators. Typically, power to the field is much less than power to/from the armature.

Last edited:
Actually, I can imagine a highly contrived application.

Consider a forge making cannon barrels. A mandrel penetrates the barrel while forging hammers pound the outside, and the whole thing rotates. We could make a resistance heater for the mandrel powered by the armature of a generator also part of the rotating mandrel. The field winding would be on tha stator.

The key feature is that the load power is consumed on the rotating part. Other examples are hard to think of.

No both the winding are rotating. i.e there is no stator part

psvtrajan said:
No both the winding are rotating. i.e there is no stator part

As long as they have rotary motion relative to each other, what I said in post #5 applies. It can work as a generator or a motor, but if you need to transfer large powers to non-rotating circuits, it will be difficult.

anorlunda said:
I think the OP is asking about building the generator inside out. With the field winding on the stator and the armature on the rotor.

Yes, that will work. Either arrangement produces the same relative motion.

However it will, be very difficult to transfer large amounts of power to or from the rotor, via slip rings or commutators. Typically, power to the field is much less than power to/from the armature.
Automotive generators from days gone by always had the rotor as the winding that supplied the actual charging current. This is what you referred to right? Admittedly they could not come close to competing with modern alternators.

No I'm asking for double rotor generator.

There was an aircraft engine where the pistons rotated back in the early days of flight. I'm not sure why, possibly cooling?

Perhaps rotating both windings could save copper by increasing the cooling potential?

I can think of better solutions. We don't see many rotating pistons anymore.

The rotary engines that had the whole block that turned and the crank stationary had no vibration due to reciprocating parts. They could turn easilyin one direction but had to make very wide turns in the opposite direction.

1. What is the purpose of armature and field winding in a generator?

The armature and field winding are essential components of a generator that work together to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. The armature winding is responsible for creating the output voltage, while the field winding produces a magnetic field that interacts with the armature winding to generate electricity.

2. How do armature and field winding differ?

The main difference between armature and field winding is their location within the generator. The armature winding is located on the rotor, which rotates within the magnetic field produced by the field winding, which is located on the stator. Additionally, the armature winding has a higher number of turns and is connected to the load, while the field winding has fewer turns and is connected to a DC power source.

3. What materials are used in armature and field winding?

The materials used in armature and field winding can vary, but typically copper is used for both. Copper is an excellent conductor of electricity and can withstand the high temperatures and forces present in a generator. In some cases, aluminum may also be used for the armature winding.

4. How does the number of turns in armature and field winding affect the generator's output?

The number of turns in the armature and field winding directly affects the generator's output voltage. The more turns in the armature winding, the higher the output voltage will be. Conversely, the more turns in the field winding, the stronger the magnetic field will be, resulting in a higher output voltage.

5. What are some common issues with armature and field winding in generators?

Common issues with armature and field winding in generators include overheating, insulation breakdown, and short circuits. These issues can be caused by factors such as excessive load, poor maintenance, and age. Regular maintenance and proper use can help prevent these issues and ensure the longevity of the generator.