Aromaticity of Conjugated Ring - Counting Pi Electrons

In summary, a professor drew a molecule on the board and asked how many pi electrons it had. The class said 14, but the professor insisted it only had 10 and berated them for not understanding. After searching for answers, no one could figure out why there were only 10 pi electrons. Some suggested the central hydrogens could distort the structure and make it non-aromatic, while others found evidence that it should have 14 pi electrons. It is suspected that the professor may have misspoken or used a different system for counting pi electrons.
puddleduck
My professor drew the following molecule on the board and asked us how many pi electrons this aromatic molecule has.

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 11.26.29 AM.png

Everyone in the class said 14, as there are 7 double bonds, with two pi electrons from each bond.

He told us that there are only 10 pi electrons in this molecule, refused to explain why there were 10 instead of 14, and berated us for not understanding why. My study group and I have spent the last week pouring over textbooks and websites and none of us, nor anyone in the class, can understand why there are only 10 pi electrons. So I'm turning to y'all.

What are we missing here? Can anyone give me a clue?

(And sorry for the weird drawing - the two bonds in the center of the molecule to the two hydrogens should be the same length but I was having trouble with the online drawing tool. He also didn't specify the stereochemistry of anything, so I'm not sure if they are cis or trans to each other. Would that affect it?)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'll be honest, I don't see how there could be anything other than 14 pi electrons in this molecule. The only thing I could maybe believe is that the central hydrogens distort the structure enough to make the outer ring nonplanar and therefore non-aromatic. But I wouldn't expect someone to be able to glean that from a skeletal structure like the one you were given.

I don't know. I think it's 14 too. There are 14 sp2 carbons. Although due to the hydrogen atoms in the middle, the orbitals would be deformed a little, but that shouldn't be significant enough to cut off the pi orbitals.

In the following article, they analyze the dimethyl analog, which is certainly more stable than the original compound. They also state explicitly that it is a 14 pi electronic compound.
http://www.sdsc.edu/~kimb/mscat/mitchell.html

A structure search in SciFinder turns up only papers referring to this as a [14]annulene. Maybe your professor is using base 14? :woot:

Edit: Just saw @DrDu got to this right before me.

DrDu said:
In the following article, they analyze the dimethyl analog, which is certainly more stable than the original compound. They also state explicitly that it is a 14 pi electronic compound.
http://www.sdsc.edu/~kimb/mscat/mitchell.html

Thank you for the link!

I now suspect the professor misspoke and was unwilling to admit he made an error. He has also claimed that in Huckel's rule, n = the number of pi electrons, so I take all of his scoldings with several grams of NaCl. :olduhh:

TeethWhitener said:
A structure search in SciFinder turns up only papers referring to this as a [14]annulene. Maybe your professor is using base 14? :woot:

Edit: Just saw @DrDu got to this right before me.

Ha! Perhaps. Thanks for the help!

What is aromaticity?

Aromaticity is a chemical property of certain molecules that have a ring structure. It describes the stability and particular electronic structure of these molecules, which is characterized by a delocalized ring of electrons.

What is a conjugated ring?

A conjugated ring is a ring structure in which alternating single and double bonds are present. This allows for the delocalization of electrons around the ring, giving rise to aromaticity.

How do you determine the number of pi electrons in a conjugated ring?

The number of pi electrons in a conjugated ring can be determined by counting the number of double bonds and adding 2 electrons for each double bond. For example, a benzene ring has 6 double bonds, making it a conjugated ring with 12 pi electrons.

What is the significance of the number of pi electrons in a conjugated ring?

The number of pi electrons in a conjugated ring is important for determining whether the molecule is aromatic or not. For a ring to be aromatic, it must have a certain number of pi electrons, which is given by the 4n+2 rule, where n is a non-negative integer.

Why is aromaticity important in chemistry?

Aromaticity is important in chemistry because it has a significant impact on the chemical and physical properties of molecules. Aromatic compounds are known for their stability, reactivity, and unique electronic properties, making them essential in various fields such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and organic chemistry.