Articles with dozens or hundreds of authors

In summary, the conversation was about finding examples of peer reviewed articles with many authors and how these articles are published in scholarly journals. One suggestion was to look into experimental particle physics where it is common to list all participants in alphabetical order regardless of their status. An example of an article with 632 authors was also mentioned, as well as the practice of listing all authors/affiliations in Physical Review D.
Charles Van
Hi all,

I am looking for examples of peer reviewed, published articles in scholarly journals which have many, many authors and/or signatories. I am involved in a different field, but have read that research articles and response letters in the field of physics may, at times, have dozens or hundreds of authors.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at experimental particle physics, especially.

Thanks. I will try and find some of those articles.

I have read that there is an article in physics with 632 authors. Does anyone know the reference for this?

There are papers with thousands of authors. Do what Ben said.

Thanks. I don't know this field at all, but have been going through Physical Review Letters and can't find any of these articles with hundreds or thousands of authors. What I am looking for is how a peer reviewed journal publishes an article with so many authors. Do they list everyone's name? Credentials? Do they list only a lead author's or contact author's name and credentials?

Note that in experimental particle physics, it's the custom to list all the participants in an experiment in alphabetical order, regardless of their status. The "lead author", Abazov, was probably a graduate student. I was in that position myself when I was a graduate student, in a much smaller collaboration, about forty people.

1. How do articles with dozens or hundreds of authors come about?

Articles with dozens or hundreds of authors are typically the result of large-scale research projects or collaborations. These projects often require a diverse range of expertise and contributions from multiple individuals or organizations.

2. How are authorship and credit determined in articles with numerous authors?

Authorship and credit in articles with numerous authors are determined based on each individual's contribution to the research project. This can include data collection, analysis, writing, and other forms of intellectual contribution. All authors are typically listed in the order of their level of contribution.

3. What challenges do articles with dozens or hundreds of authors face?

One of the main challenges faced by articles with numerous authors is establishing and maintaining effective communication and collaboration among all contributors. This can be particularly difficult in large-scale projects where authors may be located in different institutions or countries.

4. Are articles with dozens or hundreds of authors more credible or reliable?

The credibility and reliability of articles with dozens or hundreds of authors depend on the quality and rigor of the research itself, rather than the number of authors. However, having numerous authors can provide a wider range of expertise and perspectives, which can strengthen the overall reliability of the research.

5. How are conflicts of interest addressed in articles with numerous authors?

Conflicts of interest in articles with numerous authors are typically addressed by requiring all authors to disclose any potential conflicts of interest. This allows readers to evaluate the potential influence of any conflicts on the research findings. In some cases, authors with conflicts of interest may be excluded from the author list or have their contributions clearly stated in the article.