Arxiv Access Denied: Experiencing Unwarranted Restrictions?

• Thread starter Chronos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arxiv
In summary, the speaker's arxiv access privileges were recently denied, supposedly due to botting or the use of prefetch software. They claim to have no knowledge of how to bot, and the instructions for reporting the issue were difficult to understand. A reference is provided for more information on why this may have happened and how to resolve it.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Today my arxiv access priveleges were denied, evidently for botting. While flattered, the truth is I have no idea how to bot. Anyone else experience this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chronos said:
Today my arxiv access priveleges were denied, evidently for botting. While flattered, the truth is I have no idea how to bot. Anyone else experience this?
What exactly did the message say?

Chronos said:

. . . mine don't. :rolleyes:

I was downloading an arxiv paper when it froze at about half complete. I finally rebooted my boole [computer], which had become completely unresponsive. Upon trying to log back on I received message:

Access Denied

Sadly, you do not currently appear to have permission to access http://arxiv.org/
If you believe this determination to be in error, see http://arxiv.org/denied.html for additional information.

The 'denied' link alleged it could be due to botting, or use of prefetch software. Like I said, I don't know how to bot, and, if I'm using any prefetch software, its been running for about 2 years without my knowledge. The instructions for reporting this were rather arcane, so I have linked to a mirror site in the mean time.

1. Why am I experiencing "Arxiv Access Denied" when trying to access articles?

There could be a few different reasons for this. One possibility is that your institution or organization does not have a subscription to Arxiv, which means you do not have access to their articles. Another possibility is that the article you are trying to access is restricted to certain users, such as those with an Arxiv account or members of a specific organization. It is also possible that there is a technical issue with the website or your internet connection.

2. Can I still access Arxiv articles if I am not affiliated with an institution or organization?

Yes, you can still access Arxiv articles even if you do not have an institutional affiliation. Arxiv is an open access repository, meaning that anyone can access and download the articles for free. However, some articles may still be restricted to certain users or organizations.

3. How can I get an Arxiv account?

To create an Arxiv account, you will need to go to their website and click on the "Register" button. You will then be prompted to enter your email address, choose a username and password, and provide some basic information about yourself. Once you submit this information, your account will be created and you will be able to access restricted articles on Arxiv.

4. Can I request access to restricted Arxiv articles?

Yes, you can request access to restricted Arxiv articles by contacting the author of the article or the organization that is restricting access. Some articles may also have a link to request access on the Arxiv website. If you are a member of an institution or organization, you may also be able to request access through them.

5. How can I report a technical issue with the "Arxiv Access Denied" message?

If you are experiencing technical issues with the "Arxiv Access Denied" message, you can report it to the Arxiv support team. They have a contact form on their website where you can submit a report and they will work to resolve the issue as soon as possible. You can also try clearing your browser's cache and cookies or using a different internet browser to see if that resolves the issue.