Permit Whatsapp to access all files (not only media)

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the conversation discusses the permissions settings for WhatsApp on an Android phone and the options available for managing files. It is mentioned that WhatsApp developers have not listed the permission to access full storage and that this is in line with current best practices. Despite not having full access, WhatsApp is still able to backup to local storage. However, there are some cases where this may not work due to permission issues. In such cases, using Google Drive for backup is suggested as an alternative solution. The conversation also clarifies that having already granted all granular file and media permissions, the issue of not being able to create a local backup is not related to permissions.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
When I look at the permissions settings for Whatsapp on my Android phone, I see these options:

* Allow access to media only
* Deny

Now, I want to allow access to all files, not just media, because without that WhatsApp is not able to create local backup files. I do see that some apps like Adobe Acrobat have the following permission options:

* Allow management of all files
* Deny.

How can I allow WhatsApp to do "management of all files"?

Computer science news on Phys.org
In the Manifest.xml file, developers are able to list the permissions their apps require. Some permissions are automatically granted by the system and it's not visible to you, like permission to vibrate the phone and permission to use the network. Sensitive permissions are required to be requested at runtime.

WhatsApp developers have not listed the permission to access full storage. This is done keeping in mind the current best practices, which advises not to use the READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission unless necessary, but to use the granular media permissions instead. You cannot change this, unless you reverse engineer the app.

But WhatsApp can backup to local storage properly even without the full access permission. I can see on my device that the local backup is saved properly. Is WhatsApp on your device throwing a SecurityException when trying to backup to local storage?

Likes Swamp Thing
It doesn't show any error, but silently fails to create any backup file. A google search turned up some suggestions that this could be due to permission issues.

I could finally do the backup/restore via Google Drive, so I'm good now. (I wanted to have a local backup just in case drive didn't work... that's just how I am :smile: )

Swamp Thing said:
A google search turned up some suggestions that this could be due to permission issues.
If you have already allowed all the granular file and media permissions, then that issue is not related to permissions. If WhatsApp can download and upload any files from your device, the app already has the permission to read/write files. Not being able to create a local backup is definitely a different issue. You cannot give a permission to an app which it hasn't asked for.

What is "Permit Whatsapp to access all files (not only media)"?

"Permit Whatsapp to access all files (not only media)" is a setting on the Whatsapp messaging app that allows the app to access all files on your device, not just media files such as photos and videos.

Why do I need to permit Whatsapp to access all files?

Permitting Whatsapp to access all files enables the app to function properly and provide all of its features, such as sending and receiving documents, backing up chat history, and accessing files shared in group chats.

Is it safe to permit Whatsapp to access all files?

Yes, it is safe to permit Whatsapp to access all files. The app has strict security measures in place to protect your data and files. Additionally, the app will only access files that you choose to share or send through the app.

How do I permit Whatsapp to access all files?

The process may vary slightly depending on your device, but generally, you can permit Whatsapp to access all files by going to your device's settings, selecting "Apps & notifications," finding Whatsapp in the list, and then selecting "Permissions." From there, you can toggle on the permission for Whatsapp to access all files.

Can I change the permission for Whatsapp to access all files at any time?

Yes, you can change the permission for Whatsapp to access all files at any time. You can go back to your device's settings and adjust the permissions for Whatsapp as needed.