Ask a Stupid Quetion Get a Stupid Answer

• Thread starter climbhi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, a group of individuals are discussing a new forum and its purpose of asking and answering "stupid questions." They discuss topics such as how long it takes to reach 1000 posts, the existence of the old forums, the best superpower, an elevator that goes sideways, and the reasons behind posting in this forum. They also explore the question of why they ask questions and the possible theories that have not been invented. Eventually, the conversation turns to the expansion of the universe and the orbit of planets around stars.
  • #2,241
Copenhagen leaves many physicists with a bad taste in their mouth. But if we are to chew on Copenhagen, then we have to consider Huberts Equivocation Principle; which states that the knowledge of the height of stupidity is limited by our knowledge of the eigenvalue of the complement of the afore mentioned to be discussed later. So we also need the unit leap of faith.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,242
What, no quetion?

• #2,243
It was implicit: What is the unit leap of faith?

• #2,244
Ivan Seeking said:
What is the unit leap of faith?
No useful data has been collected yet that would provide a suitable standard, as when researchers whose models underestimate this quantity make their leap, they generally end up falling into abysses of relativism, never to be seen again, while when those whose models overestimate the quantity leap, they often end up as Scientologists or Kansas school board members or some such, and thus are also never seen again.

What would happen if the Kansas school board were asked to study the problem?

Last edited:
  • #2,245
plover said:
What would happen if the Kansas school board were asked to study the problem?
We, in this thread, will never know: once here, you're not in Kansas anymore.

On a recent outing to visit Former US President William Jefferson Clinton's WWII PT boat, I happened to encounter a three-quarter-sized Stradivarius cello in some trash in an ally and stopped to scratch out a patriotic tune for the occasion. A passerby stopped and began to sing. A cat, overhead on a fire escape, began playing bongos. From an open window across the ally, I heard the jazzy wail of a tenor saxophone. Three street waifs appeared from around the corner and began tap dancing. Several paratroopers dressed as J. Edgar Hoover in drag floated down from the sky, landed, and began swing dancing.

What do you suppose happened next?

• #2,246
zoobyshoe said:
We, in this thread, will never know: once here, you're not in Kansas anymore. What do you suppose happened next?
You awoke in the detox clinic.

What is the largest officially recorded breast size (for women)?

• #2,247
Ok that's easy...A women was known whose breast size followed "pulsating theory", It showed SHM motion,At max amplitude it was BIG and at zero amplitude the lady becomes a man...and at negative amplitude, the back of the women had breasts!...so the source of the problem has not yet been known but the equation for this SHM breast size is given by:

[itex]y=Asinwt[/itex]

WHat is common between Jackie Chan and Albert Einstein?

• #2,248
Dr.Brain said:
Joan Collins (but Jackie will never admit to it).

Why is 3?

• #2,249
Why is 3?

Because two can be as bad as one. It's the loneliest number since the number one.

So was that other song, "help me Rhonda, help me get her out of my heart", or "help me eat her out in my car"? I could never quite tell for sure.

• #2,250
Ivan Seeking said:
So was that other song, "help me Rhonda, help me get her out of my heart", or "help me eat her out in my car"? I could never quite tell for sure.
Sandra Benderover's 1969 classic book, Occult Erotic Allusions In Popular and Folk Music of the 19th and 20th Centuries lists your second choice as a common. but erroneous, mishearing of the actual lyrics: "Help me geeter out o' my art." To "geeter out o' one's art" was a short lived slang term for an equally short lived sexual fad that consisted of performing sex in front of any available alligator (geeter) while also drawing, painting, or rendering in charcoal ("my art"), a sexual practise rumored, in the traditional myth, to have been started by LSD crazed artist, R. Crumb. The naive Beach Boys commandeered the phrase for their song, while, at the same time, having no idea what it meant, in the hope of sounding "hip" and "in the know," in the same way they threw surfing terms into their lyrics without ever having surfed themselves. One of the Wilson boys later confessed, "I just thought `geeter out o' my art' meant,`whack off' or `tickle the pickle' or something. I didn't know it was perverted." Another one of the band said "Rhonda, yeah. That was the song where we learned not just to repeat anything we heard. We were just kids back then."

Speaking of song lyrics, is it "There's a bad moon on the rise," "There's a bathroom on the right." or...what?

• #2,251
There's a bad moon on the rise, and a bathroom on the right, can be complementary statements - from the verb, moon; or as a noun as in, "a full moon".

Is ellemmenno a letter? And what is ellemmenno pee?

• #2,252
An ellemmenno is simply a cross between an elephant and a minnow. What's unique about ellemmennos is that as a defense mechanism they are able to turn backwards and eject urine at their enemies.

In the Victorian era, when animal oddities and sideshows were in vogue, there was an animal trainer who taught his ellemenno to demonstrate the defensive spraying behavior in response to a verbal command. Many people paid good money to see this ellemmenno pee on cue.

I always thought the song said "Vitus Gerulaitis, don't hit 'em too far away." and not "Big ol' jet airliner, don't carry me too far away." But apparently I'm not the only one who got this mixed up: http://www.amiright.com/misheard/song/jetairliner.shtml
Was Steve Miller deliberately trying to be confusing?

• #2,253
It is definitely "There's a bathroom on the right." The idear here is that it is impossible to leave a bathroom on the right if you are unable to make a left hand turn. So it is a reference to purgatory, which has often been compared to foreign unisex bathrooms.

Why exactly did 'Big ol' Jed have a light on?'

*grumble grumble... nevermind*

• #2,254
What...?

• #2,255
Math Is Hard said:
Was Steve Miller deliberately trying to be confusing?
No. The impulse behind that cryptic lyric was something much worse than the attempt to confuse. The singer was, in fact, speaking an ancient proto-egyptian language, saying "Beego jeh! Arro layeenah!" For those of you who are conversant with the various proto-egyptian dialects, I need only point out what will happen if you shift the stress on the first syllable to the second. We might translate the result, for polite company, as "Camel lover! You eat day old droppings!"

What, however, is to be made of: "Blinded by the light! Racked up like a douchen nana rollah ina night!"?

• #2,256
Ah, yes, I remember that song .."It was Bryan's Friday night. Tacked up like a pushpin, butter roller in the night". This was a tribute to musician, Bryan Adams. I actually knew Bryan, back in the day, and I remember some of the details from when he recounted the whole experience to me. He said he got lost in SoCal in the WeHo district when he was accosted by a gang of young vandals who stapled him to a billboard over the 405 freeway, thus the "tacked up like a pushpin" reference.
Brian was pretty unintelligible back then, even in his most lucid moments, so I could never figure out the butter roller part.
Was he just making that up? Or is this some aspect of the WeHo experience that we should probably not question any further?

• #2,257
Math Is Hard said:
Was he just making that up? Or is this some aspect of the WeHo experience that we should probably not question any further?
I think you've hit the pushpin on the head. As the man said to the other guy at the end of the movie: "Forget it, Jake. It's WeHo."

Why couldn't I just remember Buck Henry's name?

• #2,258
zoobyshoe said:
Why couldn't I just remember Buck Henry's name?
Because despite his genius, he will forever live in Mel Brooks' shadow.

Why don't parrots fly north in winter?

• #2,259
Because the Parrots are PhD in magnetism...
So.. they fly towards magnetic north pole which is opposite to the real north pole..

Why is Earth not perfectly round?

• #2,260
Dr.Brain said:
Why is Earth not perfectly round?
Sheer laziness.

Speaking of posture, should not people's z axis be measured first thing in the morning in order to discover it at its maximun?

• #2,261
Don't flatter yourself.

Is there some unusual and unfortunate aspect of zooby physiology that I am not aware of?

• #2,262
Huckleberry said:
Is there some unusual and unfortunate aspect of zooby physiology that I am not aware of?
There is, yes, an aroma issue.

How could Mr. Finn twist my innocent quetion about height into such a double-entendre, and throw it back at me?

• #2,263
"it's all in the hip...it's all in the..."

why did they put the lime in the coke?

• #2,264
The watermelon wouldn't fit.

If the plural of 'mouse' is 'mice', why isn't the plural of 'spouse' 'spice'?

• #2,265
Because the plural of 'house' would have to be 'hice', and 'grouse' 'grice'.

What are the actual rules for this thread?

• #2,266
brewnog said:
What are the actual rules for this thread?
Ya poot de laym in de ko-ko nut an' drink 'em bote togeddah, poot de laym in de ko-ko nut an' drink em bote up!

I'm thinking Sir Isaac Newty may have made an error when he assumed the existence of absolute spice. Was this the result of a misunderstanding of his regional accent?

• #2,267
Sir Isaac Newton didn't make an error. Einstein sold his soul to Satan in exchange for the power to change the laws of the universe.

When AI is developed and it takes over the world and make all humans slaves, what kinds of jobs will it make us do?

• #2,268
We're already doing it - this thread is case study in BA (biological intelligence), and why it isn't.

If I say "mouses", "gooses", "sheeps", "persons", "octopods", and "radiuses", instead of "mice", "geese", "sheep", "people", "octopodes", and "radii", why do grammarians get their knickers in a twist?

• #2,269
PeteSF said:
If I say "mouses", "gooses", "sheeps", "persons", "octopods", and "radiuses", instead of "mice", "geese", "sheep", "people", "octopodes", and "radii", why do grammarians get their knickers in a twist?
Those aren't grammarians, but members of the Twisted Knickers motorcycle/sexual fetish club, and it isn't your pluralisations attracting them, but the fact you mention so many of their favorite animals.

Two years ago I was hiking up a trail in the Adirondacs when one of my shoes was grabbed by something hiding beneath a bush at the side of the path. Quickly shouldering my bazooka, I replaced the bush with an empty crater. My foot was free, but I never found out what it was that had grabbed me. Any ideas?

• #2,270
Nike has clandestine sweat shops in the Adironacks. Obviously, it was a young Chinese girl who had dug a tunnel from under the hidden warehouse to get to freedom and save the others. Unfortunately, since she is now dead! So is all hope of her saving her twenty brothers and sisters from the slave operation and returning peace to the burial ground where the sweat shop is located.

If I could be any animal I wanted to be, what would I be and why?

• #2,271
Rabid said:
If I could be any animal I wanted to be, what would I be and why?
You would want to be a sheep or goose provided there was a chapter of the Twisted Knickers in the neighborhood.

Recently when I was scouting around the perimeter of Area 51 I came upon a wounded wild fried egg. Slipping the delicate creature into a box I took it home and have been nursing it back to health. It is healing up nicely, but how will I know when it is really ready to be released back into the wild?

• #2,272
Dr.Brain said:

Simple.

Adam Sandler was initially rumoured to play Einstein's father berating his dumb kid in the Jackie Chan film, Around the World In 80 Days.

It's NOT a cooincidence that Chan, Einstein, & Reagan each have 6 letters in their first names.

And if that's not enough;
Jackie Chan was in Enter the Dragon (1973) with Keye Luke.

Keye Luke was in The Green Hornet, (1940) with Walter McGrail.

Walter McGrail was in Womanhood, The Glory of the Nation (1917) with Theodore Roosevelt.

Theodore Roosevelt was in Installation Ceremonies, Columbia University (1902) with Nicholas Murray Butler.

Nicholas Murray Butler was in World Leaders On Peace and Democracy (1939) with Albert Einstein who later predicted that Jackie Chan would NOT become the center of the entertainment universe, but Kevin Bacon would.

Einstein's Bacon prediction came true: Turkey Bacon is processed, smoked turkey meat cut into strips that resemble, but only barely function as, bacon. Thanks to Einstein all rent-a-cops have now been referred to as, "turkey bacon," For their similar function to police.

Why then is Knievel, Evel?

• #2,273
Because with so many hits to the head eventually he started getting jaded that death hadn't won yet so he declared himself Evel so that he could truly defy not only death but hell as well..

Where does the sun go when it's night?

• #2,274
Where does the sun go when it's night?

LMN-tree, sir, it goes down.

go 1 v. went, (wnt) gone, (gôn, gn) go·ing, goes (gz)
v. intr.
goes
go along
go around
go at

go down

To drop below the horizon; set: The moon went down.
To fall to the ground: The helicopter went down in a ball of fire.
To sink: The torpedoed battleship went down.
To experience defeat or ruin.
To decrease in cost or value.

or of course the significant and most logical answer:Vulgar Slang To perform fellatio or cunnilingus.

so now you know what happens when the sun goes down, yes?

what's the correct answer to "soup 'r salad?"

Last edited:
  • #2,275
caffeinstein said:
what's the correct answer to "soup 'r salad?"
It's funny you should ask that quetion because it provides me with the opportunity to ignore it as you ignored mine back when mine was next to be adressed.

Recently when I was scouting around the perimeter of Area 51 I came upon a wounded wild fried egg. Slipping the delicate creature into a box I took it home and have been nursing it back to health. It is healing up nicely, but how will I know when it is really ready to be released back into the wild?