Aspect ratio for a motorcycle tire

In summary: Sportbike tires tend to be wider than touring bike tires, so the trade-off is that a taller treadwall will flatten the profile more on sportbike tires.
mec_divi
can anyone tell me the method by which the aspect ratio for the motorcycle tire can be decided given that load capacity of bike is known.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess it depends on what type of tire, and what the application is.

For sportbike/racing tires, the aspect ratio helps to determine the "turn-in" characteristics of the tire. If it has too low/wide of a profile, it is very hard to turn into a corner (hard to force the bike to lean). If it is too tall, the bike is very "skittish" at turn-in, and can be downright unstable and scary. Don't ask me how I know this. o0)

Can you say what your application is? What range of aspect ratios do you see for the tires you are looking at? :smile:

Load capacity is usually a function of tire construction and size as opposed to aspect ratio.

To help explain berkeman's answer, for the same treadwall height, a higher aspect ratio will be more parabola like, while a lower profile will be circular or lower still like a flattened circular arc. A more parabola like profile will provide more contact area when leaned, and have less resistance to leaning over. For a given aspect ratio, a taller treadwall will flatten the profile. To a rider, the sensation of a more parabolic profile is that it takes less countersteering effort to lean the bike, and the rear end can feel like it's stepping out more, if the rear tire is wider than the front, and the tires profiles have just been changed, as a rider will acclimate to the new feel. I don't recall if you get the same sensation if the front and rear tire are the same (the last bike I had with the same front and rear tires was a 1973 Norton 850 Commando, which used parabolic profile Dunlop K81 or K181 tires, and I don't recall the sensation of the rear end stepping out).

1. What is aspect ratio for a motorcycle tire?

The aspect ratio for a motorcycle tire is the ratio between the height and width of the tire. It is typically expressed as a percentage, with the first number representing the tire's height and the second number representing the tire's width. For example, a tire with an aspect ratio of 60 would have a height that is 60% of its width.

2. Why is aspect ratio important for motorcycle tires?

The aspect ratio of a motorcycle tire is important because it affects the handling and performance of the motorcycle. A lower aspect ratio means that the tire has a shorter sidewall, which can provide better handling and stability at high speeds. On the other hand, a higher aspect ratio can provide a smoother ride and better shock absorption.

3. How do I determine the correct aspect ratio for my motorcycle tire?

The correct aspect ratio for your motorcycle tire can be found in the owner's manual or by consulting with a professional mechanic. It is important to choose the correct aspect ratio to ensure proper fit and performance for your motorcycle.

4. Can I change the aspect ratio of my motorcycle tire?

It is not recommended to change the aspect ratio of your motorcycle tire as it can significantly impact the handling and performance of your motorcycle. If you are considering changing the aspect ratio, it is important to consult with a professional mechanic first.

5. How does aspect ratio affect the contact patch of a motorcycle tire?

The aspect ratio of a motorcycle tire affects the size and shape of the contact patch, which is the area of the tire that comes in contact with the road. A lower aspect ratio means a wider contact patch, which can provide better traction and handling. A higher aspect ratio means a narrower contact patch, which can provide a smoother ride but may sacrifice some handling capabilities.