Asteroid Belt not so circular?

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of an animation depicting the Asteroid Belt and its connection with the Trojans and Hilda group. The conversation mentions that the Asteroid Belt is often illustrated as a circle in textbooks and that the Hilda group is in resonance with Jupiter. The conversation also points out that the Trojans and Hilda group are not strictly main belt asteroids. Finally, a website is shared that shows depictions of various asteroid groups.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
In my textbooks, the Asteroid Belt has always been illustrated as a circle.

Is this animation accurate?

https://i.imgur.com/LXR0Ulq.gifv

It never occurred to me that the belt might might be intimately connected with the Trojans.

Well ... my learning about the Asteroid Belt and my learning about Trojans was several decades apart, so not too surprising.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The gif seems to depict Trojans and the Hilda group. The latter is a group in a resonance with Jupiter. These are not strictly main belt asteroids, in the same sense as the Trojans aren't.

The http://sajri.astronomy.cz/asteroidgroups/groups.htm includes depictions of other asteroid groups as well.
E.g. this one shows all the inner solar system asteroids:
http://sajri.astronomy.cz/asteroidgroups/inn-h-l.htm
You can see that the Hildas are just a small fraction of the entire population, on more circular orbits.

Likes davenn
Ah! Very cool. Thanks.

1. What is the Asteroid Belt?

The Asteroid Belt is a region located between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter that contains millions of small, rocky objects known as asteroids. These asteroids vary in size, shape, and composition and are believed to be remnants from the early formation of the solar system.

2. Why is the Asteroid Belt not circular?

The Asteroid Belt is not circular because it is influenced by the gravitational pull of the nearby planets, especially Jupiter. This gravitational pull causes the orbits of the asteroids to be more elliptical rather than circular.

3. How many asteroids are in the Asteroid Belt?

Scientists estimate that there are millions of asteroids in the Asteroid Belt, ranging in size from a few feet to hundreds of miles in diameter. However, the total number and exact size of asteroids in the belt is still unknown.

4. Are there any large asteroids in the Asteroid Belt?

Yes, there are some large asteroids in the Asteroid Belt, with the largest being Ceres, which has a diameter of approximately 590 miles. However, the majority of asteroids in the belt are much smaller, with most being less than 10 miles in diameter.

5. Why is the Asteroid Belt important to study?

The Asteroid Belt is important to study because it provides valuable information about the early formation of the solar system and the evolution of planets. It also poses a potential threat to Earth, as some asteroids have the potential to impact our planet. By studying the Asteroid Belt, scientists can better understand the potential risks and develop strategies to mitigate them.