ASTM E399: Plane-Strain Toughness for Materials Testing

• Thread starter hootsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the ASTM standard E399 and the use of thick specimens for measuring plane-strain toughness in mechanical experiments. The speaker also requests for simplified materials or websites explaining the ASTM standards. The conversation concludes with a clarification on what is considered "thick" in the context of the experiment.
hootsh
Hi, I hate the fact that my first post in forum is all about wanting not giving, but I'm only at 1st year mechanical so I don't think there'e much to give :DI was wondering about E399 in the ASTM standard, according to this video (last minute):
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlFs2unBvdU

We have to have thick specimens in order to properly measure plane-strain toughness, but they use small thickness in the experiment.

Also is there any website or material where I can find the simplification or summarization of these ASTM standards? The way they explain these tests is a bit too complicated and massively messy for a student like me, really poor documentation in my opinion, but maybe its because I'm new at this.

Thanks in advance. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
How thick is thick?

ASTM E399: " the crack-tip plastic zone is small compared to the crack size, specimen thickness, and ligament ahead of the crack."

So for a brittle material with a small plastic zone, the specimen may appear to be a thin plate rather than a cube-shaped block and still be considered "thick".

Oh, it actually says that in the experiment?

How could I have missed that xD ?

Thanks a lot for the help mate.

Related to ASTM E399: Plane-Strain Toughness for Materials Testing

1. What is ASTM E399?

ASTM E399 is a standard test method for determining the plane-strain fracture toughness of metallic materials. It is used to evaluate the ability of a material to resist fracture under conditions of plane strain.

2. Why is plane-strain toughness important?

Plane-strain toughness is important because it is a critical factor in determining the structural integrity and safety of a material. It measures the resistance of a material to crack propagation, which is essential in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.

3. How is plane-strain toughness measured?

Plane-strain toughness is measured using a standardized test method that involves creating a crack in the material and subjecting it to a controlled tensile load. The resulting data is then used to calculate the plane-strain fracture toughness value.

4. What are the benefits of using ASTM E399?

Using ASTM E399 provides several benefits, including standardization and accuracy in testing, as well as the ability to compare results across different materials and laboratories. It also helps ensure the reliability and safety of materials used in various industries.

5. Are there any limitations to ASTM E399?

While ASTM E399 is a widely accepted and reliable method for measuring plane-strain toughness, it does have some limitations. It may not accurately reflect real-world conditions, and the results may vary depending on the specimen geometry and testing equipment used. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of materials, such as those with low ductility or complex microstructures.