Astronaut Gravity calculation

In summary, an astronaut would need to be 1.93x10^5 km away from the Earth to have a weight of 0.01 his weight on the Earth's surface.
Vipul
[SOLVED] Gravity question

Homework Statement

Calculate how far an astronaut would need to be away above the Earth in order for his weight to be 0.01 his weight on the Earth's surface.

Homework Equations

g = GM/r^2
F = GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no correct way to solve this. However the answer is 1.93x10^5 Km

Would anyone please kindly show how the answer is worked out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Weight on the Earth surface proportional to g, where g=GM/r^2 where r is the radius of the Earth and comes out to about 9.81m/sec^2. Try it. Now set 0.01*g=GM/r^2 and solve for the new r.

I made 'r' the subject of the equation and end up with 1.99x10^5km
Here is my working

g = GM/r^2
r^2 = GM/0.01
r^2 = (6.67x10^-11 x 5.974x10^24) / 0.01
r^2 = 3.984658x10^16
r = [tex]\sqrt{3.984658x10^16}[/tex]
r = 199616081.5m = 1.99x10^5km

Please correct me.

i) you are paying absolutely no attention to units. ii) I think the answer you have been given is also quite wrong. What you want is 0.01*GM/(r_earth^2)=GM/r^2. That means r=10*r_earth. How far above the Earth you have to be is a somewhat different question but that's 10*r_earth-r_earth=9*r_earth. I don't know where this 1.93*10^5 km is coming from. Sorry.

Dick is right on all points here.
Dick said:
i) you are paying absolutely no attention to units.

Vipul said:
g = GM/r^2
r^2 = GM/0.01
The denominator on the right-hand side should be [itex]0.01*9.80665 m/s^2[/itex] here, not just 0.01. That 0.01 is a unitless scale factor.
Vipul said:
r^2 = (6.67x10^-11 x 5.974x10^24) / 0.01
If you had paid attention to units you would have been able to see that this expression is invalid. With units (but keeping that scale factor unitless), the expression becomes
[tex]r^2 = 6.673*10^{-11} \mathrm{m}^3/\mathrm{s}^2/\mathrm{kg}
* 5.9742*10^{24} \mathrm{kg}/0.01[/tex]
The expression on the left-hand side has dimensions length squared. The expression on the right-hand side has units m^3/s^2, which does not jibe with length squared. The culprit is that naked scale factor. It should be paired with Earth standard gravitational acceleration:
[tex]r^2 = 6.673*10^{-11} \mathrm{m}^3/\mathrm{s}^2/\mathrm{kg}
* 5.9742*10^{24} \mathrm{kg}/
(0.01*9.80665 \mathrm{m}/\mathrm{s}^2)[/tex]
Now the right-hand side has units of square meters, matching the dimensions of the left-hand side.

Carrying this through yields r=63760km. This is the distance from the center of the Earth, not the surface of the Earth. You need to subtract the radius of the Earth, 6378km, to get the answer to the question.

Dick said:
ii) I think the answer you have been given is also quite wrong. What you want is 0.01*GM/(r_earth^2)=GM/r^2. That means r=10*r_earth. How far above the Earth you have to be is a somewhat different question but that's 10*r_earth-r_earth=9*r_earth.
This is a much easier way to arrive at the result. 10r=63780km to four decimal places, which differs from the more convoluted result by 20 km.

Dick said:
I don't know where this 1.93*10^5 km is coming from. Sorry.
The 1.93*10^5 km answer is simply wrong.

Last edited:
Alright, go it; i got 63760km which is from the surface of the earth. Subtracting 63760km - 6378km gives me 57382km.

AS Dick said, the answer given is quite wrong, so the answer at the back of the book must be incorrect.

Thank you very much, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Related to Astronaut Gravity calculation

1. How is gravity calculated for astronauts in space?

The calculation of gravity for astronauts in space involves the use of Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the closer an astronaut is to a large body, such as a planet or moon, the stronger the pull of gravity will be.

2. What factors affect the calculation of gravity for astronauts?

The factors that affect the calculation of gravity for astronauts include their distance from a large body, their mass and the mass of the body they are orbiting, and their velocity. Changes in any of these factors can affect the strength and direction of gravity acting on an astronaut.

3. How do astronauts experience gravity in space?

Astronauts in space experience a microgravity environment, which means that they are constantly falling towards a large body, but their horizontal motion keeps them in orbit. This creates the sensation of weightlessness as there is no solid surface for them to stand on and experience the full force of gravity.

4. Can astronauts feel the effects of gravity on their bodies in space?

Yes, astronauts can feel the effects of gravity on their bodies in space, even though they are in a microgravity environment. This is because their bodies are constantly being pulled towards the large body they are orbiting, causing changes in blood flow, muscle and bone mass, and other bodily functions.

5. How do astronauts train for the effects of gravity in space?

Astronauts train for the effects of gravity in space by simulating microgravity environments on Earth. This can include training in neutral buoyancy pools, where they can experience weightlessness, and using specialized equipment to mimic the effects of gravity on their bodies. They also undergo physical and medical training to prepare their bodies for the changes that occur in space.