Astronomy Major does anyone care if I get it or not?

In summary, the speaker is a senior at the University of Wisconsin who is planning to apply to graduate school in physics. They are currently majoring in Math, Physics, Nuclear Engineering, and Astronomy, but are considering not finishing their degree in Astronomy in order to take more math courses. They are wondering if having 3 or 4 majors will make a difference in their grad school application, and are concerned about weakening their application to top schools like Stanford, CalTech, and Berkeley. However, the general consensus is that grad schools do not place much importance on the number of majors and it may even be seen as a negative indicator of commitment to a specific field.
arwright3
Hi,

I'm a senior at the University of Wisconsin and I will be applying to grad school in physics soon. I'm currently majoring in Math, Physics, Nuclear Engineering, and Astronomy. I have 6 credits left to finish my astronomy degree and I'm seriously considering not finishing it out. As it stands now, I'll finish all 4 degrees, but will miss out on taking a bunch of math courses that I really want to take (Differential Geometry and 2nd semester Abstract Algerbra).

My question is: will anyone care whether I had 3 majors or 4 when considering my grad school application? I would imagine that it's not a REALLY big deal, but it sets me appart quite a bit because lots of people have 3 majors, but almost no one has 4.

I am hoping to get into Stanford, CalTech, or Berkeley, so I don't want to do anything that could weaken my application.

Bottom line: is anyone going to care whether or not I have a degree in Astronomy when applying to grad school?

Thanks for your time,
-Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
arwright3 said:
My question is: will anyone care whether I had 3 majors or 4 when considering my grad school application?

I don't see why you would think you are competitive *anywhere* with less than 5 majors.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Seriously, grad school does not award points for having many diverse interests. I doubt if having a second major helps you get admitted anywhere.

TMFKAN64 said:
Seriously, grad school does not award points for having many diverse interests. I doubt if having a second major helps you get admitted anywhere.

I'd speculate that it might even be a negative indicator that you are not committed to one area and that it would take you a long time to graduate grad school.

Wow 3 or 4 majors...that's unheard of in my university (top 10 in science and engineering)

I understand your dilemma and the desire to take courses that interest you. However, as someone who has been involved in the admissions process for graduate programs, I can say that having an astronomy degree can be beneficial for your application. While it may not be a make or break factor, it can show your dedication and interest in the field of physics and astronomy.

Additionally, having a diverse academic background can also be seen as a strength in your application. It shows that you have a wide range of knowledge and skills, which can be valuable in pursuing a graduate degree in a multidisciplinary field like physics.

Furthermore, the specific courses you mentioned, such as Differential Geometry and Abstract Algebra, can be applicable to your studies in physics and astronomy. They can provide a strong foundation for advanced concepts and research in these fields.

Ultimately, the decision to complete your astronomy degree or not should be based on your personal interests and goals. But from an admissions standpoint, having a degree in astronomy can certainly be advantageous and should not weaken your application to top graduate programs. Best of luck in your future studies!

Related to Astronomy Major does anyone care if I get it or not?

What is an Astronomy major?

An Astronomy major is a field of study that focuses on the study of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines elements of physics, mathematics, and chemistry to understand the physical properties and processes of these objects.

What kind of career opportunities are available for Astronomy majors?

There are various career opportunities available for Astronomy majors, including research positions at universities, observatories, and government agencies. Other career paths include teaching, science writing, and working in the aerospace industry.

Is an Astronomy major a good choice for someone interested in space exploration?

Yes, an Astronomy major is a great choice for someone interested in space exploration. This major provides a strong foundation in the scientific principles and theories behind space exploration, as well as hands-on experience with telescopes and other equipment used in this field.

Do employers value an Astronomy major?

Employers value an Astronomy major because it demonstrates a strong background in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. These skills are highly sought after in various industries, including technology, finance, and research.

What skills are needed to succeed in an Astronomy major?

To succeed in an Astronomy major, you will need strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as a passion for science and curiosity about the universe. Excellent communication and research skills are also essential for this field of study.