Astrophysics or Planetary Science

In summary, both astrophysics and planetary science are fascinating fields with a lot of overlap. If you are specifically interested in solar physics, switching your major to planetary science may be beneficial. However, it is possible to study solar physics and other planetary topics within an astrophysics major. When it comes to graduate school, programs in planetary science may consider applicants with a background in astrophysics, as long as they have relevant coursework and research experience. It's important to research and reach out to faculty at desired schools for specific requirements. Overall, taking courses and gaining research experience in solar physics and other planetary topics will give a strong foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in planetary science.
SpaceNerdz
Astrophysics...or Planetary Science

Hi Guys,

I need some advice about Astrophysics and Planetary Science. I'm in Columbia U right now, freshman year intending to major in Astrophysics BA.

Recently, I found myself getting more and more interested in Solar Physics. I looked around grad schools ( it's a bit early, but still, why not ? ) and it seems as though Solar Physics would fall under the category and department of Planetary Science. I'm just wondering, if I continue towards my major in Astrophysics, could I later on 'switch' to Planetary Science for grad school to study Solar Physics, or should I just change major now ? What do grad schools in Planetary Science look for, and is it very different from Astrophysics ?

Any advice would be appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

As a scientist with a background in both astrophysics and planetary science, I can offer some insights into your dilemma. Both fields are incredibly fascinating and have a lot of overlap, so it's great that you're considering both options.

Firstly, it's important to understand that astrophysics and planetary science are not mutually exclusive. In fact, planetary science is a subfield of astrophysics that focuses on studying objects within our solar system, such as planets, moons, and asteroids. So if you continue with your major in astrophysics, you will still have the opportunity to study solar physics and other planetary topics.

That being said, if you are specifically interested in solar physics, it may be beneficial to switch your major to planetary science. This will allow you to take more specialized courses in solar physics and also have access to resources and faculty who are experts in the field. However, if you are more interested in other areas of astrophysics, then sticking with your current major may be the better choice.

As for graduate school, it is definitely possible to switch from astrophysics to planetary science for your graduate studies. Many graduate programs in planetary science will still consider applicants with a background in astrophysics, as long as they have relevant coursework and research experience in planetary topics. It's also worth noting that some graduate programs may have a joint astrophysics and planetary science program, which could be a great fit for your interests.

In terms of what graduate schools in planetary science look for, they will likely consider your coursework, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. Each program may have slightly different requirements, so it's important to research and reach out to faculty at your desired schools for more specific information.

Overall, my advice would be to continue with your major in astrophysics for now, but make sure to take courses and gain research experience in solar physics and other planetary topics. This will give you a strong foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in planetary science if you choose to do so. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of science that studies the physical and chemical properties of objects and phenomena in the universe. It combines principles of physics, mathematics, and chemistry to understand the formation, evolution, and behavior of celestial bodies such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

2. What is the difference between astrophysics and planetary science?

Astrophysics focuses on the physical and chemical properties of all celestial bodies, while planetary science specifically studies planets and their moons. Planetary science also incorporates aspects of geology, atmospheric science, and biology to understand the origin and evolution of planets, as well as the potential for life on other planets.

3. How do scientists study astrophysics and planetary science?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study astrophysics and planetary science, including telescopes, spacecraft, computer simulations, and mathematical models. They also analyze data collected from these sources to make observations and predictions about the universe.

4. What are some current topics of research in astrophysics and planetary science?

Some current topics of research in astrophysics and planetary science include the search for exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system), the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the exploration of the origins of the universe. Other areas of interest include the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and the potential for life on other planets.

5. What are some potential career paths in astrophysics and planetary science?

There are many potential career paths in astrophysics and planetary science, including researcher, professor, data scientist, engineer, and science communicator. Many scientists in these fields work for universities, government agencies such as NASA, or private companies focused on space exploration and technology. There are also opportunities to work in science education and outreach, bringing the wonders of the universe to the general public.