Majoring in Planetary Science?

In summary, the speaker is currently studying astrophysics as an undergrad and has finished the required physics and math courses. They are considering switching to geology or pursuing a double major in order to be eligible for a masters or PhD in planetary science. They have reached out for advice, and it is suggested that the choice between astrophysics and geology depends on their specific interests, such as planetary dynamics or analyzing rock samples on Mars. The speaker is also considering specific emphases within geology, but unsure if it will translate to planetary science.
PeteWheatstraw
I am currently majoring in astrophysics as an undergrad, but my eventual goal is to have a masters or PhD in planetary science. I'm at the point of the course ladder where I've finished up the vanilla physics and math prereqs in order to start on my major specific courses.

Long story short, I can still switch to geology/geosciences without having to back track. My main question is should I stick with astrophysics, switch to geology, or grind out a double major in both in order to be eligible for planetary science grad school?

I'm having problems finding any concrete information on the subject and emailed CIPS at Berkeley and haven't gotten a response.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Either will work, so I think it depends mostly on what you want to do. For example, if you want to do planetary dynamics/evolution, then astrophysics would be the better route. If you wanted to analyze rock samples on Mars, then geoscience would be better.

Ha, I want to do all of the above.

But I guess to be more specific, the emphases within geology I'm considering is in surficial and environmental geology. I'm not sure if that will translate well to the planetary side of things though.

1. What is planetary science?

Planetary science is a field that studies the planets and other objects in our solar system, as well as their formation, structure, and evolution. It combines aspects of astronomy, geology, and other sciences to understand the physical characteristics and processes of these celestial bodies.

2. What skills are required to major in planetary science?

To major in planetary science, you will need a strong background in math, physics, and geology. You should also have strong critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team. Good communication skills and a strong interest in space and the natural world are also important.

3. What career opportunities are available for planetary science majors?

There are a variety of career opportunities for planetary science majors. Some may choose to work in research, studying the planets and other objects in our solar system. Others may work in education, sharing their knowledge and passion for space with students. There are also opportunities in government agencies, such as NASA, and in the private sector, including aerospace companies.

4. What courses will I take as a planetary science major?

The specific courses you will take as a planetary science major may vary depending on the university you attend. However, you can expect to take classes in astronomy, geology, physics, and math. You may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in topics such as astrobiology, planetary atmospheres, and planetary geology.

5. What research opportunities are available for planetary science majors?

Many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students in planetary science. These may include working with faculty on ongoing research projects, participating in internships at government agencies or private companies, or conducting your own independent research. These experiences can provide valuable hands-on experience and help prepare you for a career in planetary science.