Asymptotic magnitude Bode plot for a network function

In summary, the pole of the network function can be found by simplifying the denominator using the given steps, and the poles are located at p1 = 0, p2 = (C1R1+C2R2)^-1, and p3 = -(C1R1+C2R2)^-1.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am working on the following problem:
upload_2017-4-19_11-0-13.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solutions, I just don't understand:
upload_2017-4-19_11-1-32.png

I know that the pole should be the root of the denominator? but in all the examples I was given they used s and not jw, so what is the variable in the network function ? I am capable of deriving the network function, just a bit unsure of what the best method for finding the poles is.
I also have an example in the book where they say:
upload_2017-4-19_11-4-11.png

I've been trying to follow this logic. If we look at where ω<p1, I can see that they approximated both terms of the denominator by 1 and somehow got rid of the negative sign. For p1<ω<p2, it looks like they approximated the whole denominator by just jωC1R1...
I don't understand how or why they did what they did in the solutions. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to this problem is that the pole of the network function is the root of the denominator, which can be simplified using the following steps. For ω<p1, both terms of the denominator can be approximated by 1, as jωC1R1<<1 and jωC2R2<<1. Therefore, the denominator can be simplified to 1-1 = 0, and the pole is at p1 = 0.For p1<ω<p2, the denominator can be simplified as jω(C1R1+C2R2). Thus, the pole is at p2 = (C1R1+C2R2)^-1.Finally, for ω>p2, the denominator can be simplified as 1 + jω(C1R1+C2R2). Therefore, the pole is at p3 = -(C1R1+C2R2)^-1.

1. What is the purpose of an asymptotic magnitude Bode plot for a network function?

An asymptotic magnitude Bode plot is used to graphically represent the frequency response of a network function, which describes how a system responds to different input frequencies. It can help analyze the stability, gain, and phase characteristics of a system.

2. How is an asymptotic magnitude Bode plot different from a regular Bode plot?

An asymptotic magnitude Bode plot only shows the general trend of the magnitude response at high and low frequencies, while a regular Bode plot also includes the exact values at each frequency. This makes it easier to understand the overall behavior of the system without getting bogged down in specific details.

3. Can an asymptotic magnitude Bode plot be used for any type of network function?

Yes, an asymptotic magnitude Bode plot can be used for any type of network function, whether it is a simple resistor-capacitor circuit or a complex control system. It is a useful tool for analyzing the frequency response of a system regardless of its complexity.

4. How can an asymptotic magnitude Bode plot be used to determine the stability of a system?

An asymptotic magnitude Bode plot can be used to determine the stability of a system by looking at the phase response. If the phase shift at the crossover frequency (where the magnitude crosses 0 dB) is -180 degrees or close to it, the system is marginally stable. If the phase shift is greater than -180 degrees, the system is unstable.

5. Are there any limitations to using an asymptotic magnitude Bode plot?

While an asymptotic magnitude Bode plot is a useful tool for understanding the overall frequency response of a system, it does have limitations. It does not provide exact values for the magnitude and phase response, and it may not accurately represent the behavior of the system at intermediate frequencies. For more precise analysis, a regular Bode plot or other methods may be necessary.