How transfer functions become Bode plots

In summary, using a logarithmic frequency scale makes sense for a first order function and a double for a second order.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

I have a question related to taking the logs of transfer functions, getting the individual Bode plots of each subsequent factor, and adding those plots graphically.

I'm working from Fundamentals of Electric Circuits, 5th edt. Let me start with the following screen capture.

NOqNK69.png

imgur link: https://i.imgur.com/NOqNK69.png

Homework Equations

Transfer function standard form:

24GBArb.png

imgur link: https://i.imgur.com/24GBArb.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see how taking the natural log spits out the phase, but isn't the Bode plot created from taking the decibel measure, ie, multiply by 20 the log base 10 of the transfer function.

This would produce:

[tex]log_{10}(H) + j\phi log_{10}(e)[/tex]

the imaginary part of that is [itex]\phi log_{10}(e)[/itex], not [itex]\phi[/itex].

So I thought maybe we use log base 10 to get the decibel magnitude by taking the real part of that, and then get the phase by taking the natural log and taking only the imaginary part.

Which would make sense to me since it is convenient to use decades on the frequency axis for the magnitude vs frequency plot, but I also noticed that the phase vs. frequency plot also uses decades on the frequency axis...

What exactly is the mathematical procedure that bridges the conversion of the transfer function into the two Bode plots; gain vs freq and phase vs freq ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

It's just a matter of establishing the vertical scale. dB for the amplitude and radians or degrees for the phase is pretty common and legible. the ##\log_{10}## factor isn't practical.

Using a logarithmic scale for the frequency makes sense: in general a characteristic spans serveral decades and the limiting behaviour shows up as a straight asymptote: ##\ \pm##3 dB/octave (or 20 /factor 10) for a first order and double for a second order.

Likes kostoglotov
BvU - if I am not wrong we have for a first order function a slope of 6dB/octave (not 3dB/octave).

Likes BvU
LvW said:
BvU - if I am not wrong we have for a first order function a slope of 6dB/octave (not 3dB/octave).
Absolutely correct. Something with power ##\propto## amplitude squared. My bad. See the examples

1. How do transfer functions relate to Bode plots?

Transfer functions and Bode plots are closely related as the Bode plot is a graphical representation of the transfer function. The transfer function is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the input and output of a system, while the Bode plot is a visual representation of this relationship in terms of magnitude and phase. In other words, the transfer function provides the information needed to create a Bode plot.

2. What information can be obtained from a Bode plot?

A Bode plot provides valuable information about the behavior of a system. It shows the frequency response of the system, including the magnitude and phase of the output signal relative to the input signal. This can help in analyzing the stability, gain, and frequency response of a system.

3. How are transfer functions converted into Bode plots?

To convert a transfer function into a Bode plot, the transfer function is first rewritten in terms of its magnitude and phase components. The magnitude is plotted on a logarithmic scale, while the phase is plotted on a linear scale. The frequency range is also plotted on a logarithmic scale. Once these components are plotted, the Bode plot can be easily drawn.

4. What are the advantages of using Bode plots?

Bode plots have several advantages, including their ability to clearly show the frequency response of a system and to easily identify key system characteristics such as gain, bandwidth, and stability. They also allow for easy comparison of different systems and can be used to design and analyze control systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bode plots?

While Bode plots are useful for analyzing linear systems, they do have limitations. They assume an ideal linear system, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, Bode plots do not provide information about the transient response of a system, which is important in certain applications. Therefore, Bode plots should be used in conjunction with other tools and techniques for a comprehensive analysis of a system.