At what distance x do the waves have a phase difference of ___?

In summary, the two sound waves emitted from the two sources have a phase difference of 0.50λ when they are very far away from each other, but as you move closer to the origin, the difference in phase increases until it reaches 1.00λ when they arrive at the origin in perfect phase.
FearlessRose
1. The figure shows two point sources S1 and S2 that emit sound of wavelength λ = 1.8 m. The emissions are isotropic and in phase, and the separation between the sources is d = 18.0 m. At any point P on the x axis, the wave from S1 and the wave from S2 interfere. Start with P very far away (x = infin). As you then move P in along the x axis toward the origin, (a) does the phase difference between the waves increase or decrease? At what distance x do the waves have a phase difference of (b) 0.50λ, (c) 1.00λ, and (d ) 1.50λ?
The diagram: (d is the distance from S1 to S2)
y
|
|
S1---------P-----> x
|
|
|
S2
|
|
2. Fully Destructive interference phi = (2m+1)pi, Fully constructive interference phi=m(2pi), deltaL=sqrt(324+x^2)-x

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation of deltaL=sqrt(324+x^2)-x, I obtained the answers 161.5m, 80m, and 52.5 meters. sqrt(324+x^2) - x= 1 ,sqrt(324+x^2)-x=2, and sqrt(324+x^2)-x= 3

I'm confused as to why my answers are incorrect, I thought when the phase constants were 0.5lambda,1lambda, and 1.5lambda, the distance associated with these were 1,2, and 3. I know that my equation is correct from pythag, but I am not 100% sure about my x value. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formulas look right, but the x-values you got as solutions are not.
Did you use a wave-length of 2 meters? It is just 1.8 m.

I was looking at an example which had the wave-length as 2 meters, I must have gotten confused. Can you point me in the right direction for solving it with the 1.8m wave-length? I'm honestly confused on what to do with the wavelength.

Thank you, I think I understand what I did wrong, hopefully my answers come out correct, will update after trying my hypothesis. :)

All good to go, if you don't mind helping me with another problem or do I have to create another thread?

In the figure, a sound of wavelength 0.600 m is emitted isotropically by point source S. Sound ray 1 extends directly to detector D, at distance L = 10.5 m. Sound ray 2 extends to D via a reflection (effectively a "bouncing") of the sound at a flat surface. The reflection occurs on a perpendicular bisector to the SD line, at distance d from the line. Assume that the reflection shifts the sound wave by 0.500λ. For what least value of d (other than zero) do the direct sound and the reflected sound arrive at D (a) exactly out of phase and (b) exactly in phase?https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_dJMwd_fip0l2qz4ROFS2yGDmDHDOlbuocHrTT19P1MacDMIG57SvsTuYlinwSdh22fIFMk=s170
Relevant equations: the afore mentioned equations

Attempt: I'm honestly not sure where to even start, if you could point me in the correct direction, please and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
So first try thinking about exactly what out of phase and in phase mean. Then, you should be able to calculate how much of a wavelength is required for each condition and use triangles find what ##d## has to be. You know how far it has to go, written in terms of ##d##, just solve for ##d##.

So for example:
Ray 2 has to travel ##\sqrt{{\frac{L}{2}}^2 + d^2}##, then it gets shifted by ##0.5λ##, then it has to travel the same distance again.

That help?

Yes, thank you so very much!

FearlessRose said:
or do I have to create another thread?

FYI, it usually works best if you create a new thread for each new question that you want help with. :smile:

Thanks, as you can tell,I am a "starter" :smile:

Likes berkeman

What is the definition of phase difference in waves?

The phase difference in waves refers to the difference in phase between two points in a wave at a particular time. It is measured in degrees or radians and indicates how much one wave is shifted in relation to another.

How is the distance x related to the phase difference in waves?

The distance x is directly proportional to the phase difference in waves. This means that as distance x increases, the phase difference also increases. This relationship is described by the equation: phase difference = (x/λ) * 360 degrees, where λ is the wavelength of the wave.

What units are used to measure distance x in waves?

The distance x is typically measured in meters (m) or any other unit of length, such as centimeters (cm) or kilometers (km). This is because distance is a physical quantity that measures the length between two points.

Can the phase difference in waves be negative?

Yes, the phase difference in waves can be negative. This occurs when one wave is lagging behind the other wave, causing a phase difference of less than 180 degrees. It can also happen when the waves have opposite polarizations.

How do I calculate the distance x when given a phase difference?

To calculate the distance x when given a phase difference, you can use the equation: x = (phase difference * λ)/360 degrees. This equation can be rearranged to solve for the wavelength (λ) or phase difference, depending on the given values.