At what frequency can Planck's law be used to determine the temperature?

In summary, the Rayleigh-Jeans approximation for estimating temperatures diverges by 10% at a temperature where the Planck formula predicts a different function of frequency.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
Use the expression for the Planck function in the Rayleigh-Jeans approximation and estimate to which frequencies it can be used to determine the temperature of an astronomical source of temperature 20 K. Use the first two terms in the Taylor-series from the lecture and assume 10% relative accuracy.
Relevant Equations
T-h*f/2*k T=Temperature, h=Planck constant, f=Frequency , k=Boltzmann constant
Hi,

I am not quite sure if I have calculated the homework correctly :-)

I proceeded in such a way that I first calculated from which frequency the two terms are equal, and thus the equation results in zero.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-14 um 19.56.20.png

Then I figured a relative accuracy of 10% equals a relative error of 90%. So I calculated at which frequency I have a relative error of 90% and exactly this frequency is the one I am looking for.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-14 um 19.56.47.png

Am I thinking correctly, or am I completely wrong? :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t understand the question.

I presume the Taylor series is for the exponential term in the Planck formula. Taking just the first two terms of that leads to the Rayleigh–Jeans approximation.

You quote an expression T-h*f/2*k. You don't say what that is a formula for, but setting it to zero does not sound promising.

But then, I do not see how knowing the intensity at a single frequency can be used to estimate a temperature. You would need two at least.

I think the question means this...

The Rayleigh -Jeans law predicts that for a body at temperature T, the radiance of frequency f (or ##\nu## if preferred) is some function of f and T: ##B_{RJ}(f, T)##.

Planck’s law predicts that for a body at temperature T, the radiance of frequency f is a different function of f and T: ##B_P(f, T)##.

It turns out that ##B_{RJ}(f, T) > B_P(f, T)##. The difference ##B_{RJ} - B_P## gets bigger as f increases (keeping T constant). (And ##B_{RJ}## gets impossibly large as frequency continues to increase.)

For an object at temperature T = 20K, I think a 10% (=0.1) relative accuracy means
##\frac {B_{RJ} – B_P}{B_P}= 0.1##

So you need to replace ##B_{RJ}## and ##B_P## by suitable expressions (functions of f and T, possibly aproxinations), set T=20K and solve for f.

Likes haruspex
Thanks haruspex and Steve4Physics for your help. I asked my lecturer again, and he said that I only need this formula T - h*f/2*k to solve the problem. Unfortunately, he did not tell me more :-)

Lambda96 said:
Thanks haruspex and Steve4Physics for your help. I asked my lecturer again, and he said that I only need this formula T - h*f/2*k to solve the problem. Unfortunately, he did not tell me more :-)
T - h*f/2*k is not a formula, there is no '=' sign. It is an expression and you haven't told us what it means or equals. (Note what @haruspex said in Post #2.)

Also, the expression could use some brackets to avoid ambiguity but I guess it is ##T - \frac {hf}{2k}##. so it is some sort of temperature or temperature-difference. But I don't recognise it.

Lambda96 said:
Following @Steve4Physics' insight in post #3, we should take the first three terms of the expansion of the exponential in the denominator of Planck's formula. The first, 1, cancels with the -1 in the denominator. This leaves a factor ##\frac 1{\frac{h\nu}{kT}+\frac 12(\frac{h\nu}{kT})^2}=\frac{kT}{h\nu}(1+\frac 12\frac{h\nu}{kT})^{-1}\approx\frac{kT}{h\nu}-\frac 12##.

The Rayleigh–Jeans approximation is the same but without the ##-\frac 12##. So the question becomes, at what temperature does the R-J version diverge by 10%? If you juggle the equations you will find it is when the formula quoted in post #1 differs from T by 10%.

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is Planck's law?

Planck's law, also known as the Planck radiation law, is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature.

2. How is Planck's law used to determine temperature?

Planck's law can be used to determine the temperature of a black body by analyzing the spectrum of radiation it emits. The peak wavelength of the radiation corresponds to the temperature of the black body according to the formula λmax = b/T, where b is a constant known as Wien's displacement constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the range of frequencies at which Planck's law can be used?

Planck's law can be used for all frequencies of electromagnetic radiation, from radio waves to gamma rays. However, it is most commonly applied in the infrared, visible, and ultraviolet regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

4. Can Planck's law be used for objects other than black bodies?

No, Planck's law is specifically applicable to black bodies, which are theoretical objects that absorb all radiation that falls on them and emit radiation at all frequencies.

5. Are there any limitations to using Planck's law to determine temperature?

Planck's law assumes that the black body is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that it is at a constant temperature and not undergoing any internal changes. In real-world scenarios, this may not always be the case and can lead to inaccuracies in using Planck's law to determine temperature.