At what height will the flow stop?

In summary: This is satisfied by h = 1.74Thank you Chestermiller! I got h=4m-h=1.74mSo there is a mistake in the book. It should be h=4m-h=1.74mSo there is a mistake in the book. It should be h=1.74mHuh? Why do you say that?Huh? Why do you say that?In summary, the discussion focused on solving a problem involving a large tank of water with a z-shaped hose connected to it. The tank is sealed at the
lep11

Homework Statement

A large tank of water has a 'z-shaped' hose connected to it. The tank is sealed at the top and has compressed air between the water surface and the top. When the water height, h, has the value 3.50m, the absolute pressure p of the compressed air is 4.20x10^5 Pa. Assume that the air above the water expands at a constant temperature, and take the atmospheric pressure to be 1.00x10^5 Pa. a)What is the speed with which the water flows out of the hose when h=3.50m? b)As water flows out of the tank, h decreases. Calculate the speed of flow for h=3.00m and h=2.00m c)At what value of h does the flow stop?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's eq.
P1 + (1/2)ρ(v1)^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + (1/2)ρ(v2)^2 + ρg(h2)
P1 + ρgh1 = P2 + (1/2)ρ(v2)^2 + ρg(h2)

assuming viscosity is zero
water is incompressible

The Attempt at a Solution

p=4.2*105 Pa
p2=1*105 Pa
and h2=1m
h=3.5m
a.) v=√(2((p-1.0*105)/ρ)+g(h-h2))=...≈26.2m/s

b.) p=(0.5p1)/(4m-h) (pV=constant as the temperature is constant) and now h=3m
v=√(2((p-1.0*105)/ρ)+g(h-h2))=√(2((p=(0.5p1)/(4m-h)-1.0*105)/ρ)+g(h-h2))

By substituting in new values for h I got 16.m/s and 5.44m/s both of which are right according to my book.
However, the part c is confusing me a little. I have tried setting v=0 and solving for h but I didn't get the right answer which is h=1.78meters according to my book. I know somebody will ask me to show the calculations so I ended up having equation of second degree like gρh2-5gρ+(4gρ-0.5p1+p2)=0 I got h>4m or h<0 which make no sense at all. Any piece of advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is exact solution to these issues? I mean numbers. I have some discrepancy about yours solutions. I probably don't understand because I mean the speed of out flow depend on diameter of hose no? If you use h2 in Bernulli eq. it means speed in high h2, no in hose.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Here are my calculations for h when v2=0 I forgot to write the sub index 2. Am I missing something?
2ppbtb5.jpg

Last edited:
lep11 said:
Ahaaaa :) Now it is bit clearer :) And the Z hose is 1m high? I mean that it is important fact, it arises new discrepancies, because if you have no pressure case (P1=0) than the h should stop at same high as high of Z hose. So if there is pressure is for me strange that result should be 1.78m (high than 1m). And what is exact solution for A) and B). I have to recalculate it and if I will have it same I will believe that I have good all.

Last edited:
bump

Anyone?

First assume that the 1.78 is right and calculate the velocity the same way you did it in the previous cases. See if that give you a velocity of zero.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
First assume that the 1.78 is right and calculate the velocity the same way you did it in the previous cases. See if that give you a velocity of zero.

Chet
There is a typo in my first post, the right answer according to my book is h=1.74m It gives me ≈0.6m/s≠0 So is my formula for v wrong in part c?

Last edited:
lep11 said:
There is a typo in my first post, the right answer according to my book is h=1.74m It gives me ≈0.6m/s≠0 So is my formula for v wrong in part c?
Since we're not told the length of the pipe, I assume we don't need to take into account the impetus from water that's already moving.
You don't really need to consider an equation for the velocity for this part. What will the pressure be at height 1m inside the tank when the flow stops?

haruspex said:
Since we're not told the length of the pipe, I assume we don't need to take into account the impetus from water that's already moving.
You don't really need to consider an equation for the velocity for this part. What will the pressure be at height 1m inside the tank when the flow stops?
1atm

According to my calculations, 1.74 m should satisfy your starting equation. So you must have an algebra or arithmetic error. (I told you to plug the answer into your starting equation and see if it satisfies it, but apparently, you had no value for doing that).

Chet

Chestermiller said:
(I told you to plug the answer into your starting equation and see if it satisfies it, but apparently, you had no value for doing that).
I did plug the answer(=1.74) into my equation of velocity and it didn't satisfy it. I will check my calculations.

lep11 said:
I did plug the answer(=1.74) into my equation of velocity and it didn't satisfy it. I will check my calculations.
I got:
[tex]\frac{(0.5)(4.2)}{4-h}+0.1(h-1)=1[/tex]
This is satisfied by h = 1.74

Likes lep11
Chestermiller said:
I got:
[tex]\frac{(0.5)(4.2)}{4-h}+0.1(h-1)=1[/tex]
This is satisfied by h = 1.74
Thank you Chestermiller! I got h1=1.7363m

1. What factors determine the height at which the flow will stop?

The height at which the flow will stop depends on several factors, including the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid, the size and shape of the container, and the force of gravity pulling down on the fluid. The type of fluid also plays a role, as some fluids, such as water, have lower viscosity and will flow at a lower height compared to more viscous fluids like honey.

2. Is there a specific formula to calculate the height at which the flow will stop?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the height at which the flow will stop. It is known as the "critical height" or "critical depth" and is calculated using the specific gravity, surface tension, and density of the fluid, as well as the acceleration due to gravity. However, this formula may not apply to all scenarios and may require simplifications or adjustments.

3. Does the temperature of the fluid affect the height at which the flow will stop?

Yes, the temperature of the fluid can affect the height at which the flow will stop. In general, higher temperatures can decrease the viscosity of a fluid, making it easier for it to flow at a lower height. However, this can also depend on the specific properties of the fluid and may not always follow this trend.

4. Can the height at which the flow will stop be controlled or adjusted?

In most cases, the height at which the flow will stop is determined by the properties of the fluid and the container. However, there are some techniques that can be used to control or adjust this height, such as changing the shape of the container or adding substances to the fluid to alter its properties. These techniques may require experimentation and may not always be effective.

5. Is there any practical application for knowing the height at which the flow will stop?

Yes, there are several practical applications for knowing the height at which the flow will stop. For example, this information can be useful in designing containers for storing and transporting fluids, as well as in industries such as food processing and chemical engineering. Understanding the height at which the flow will stop can also help in predicting and preventing potential spills or leakage of fluids.