Finding speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel

In summary: The correct answer should be 26.2 m/s.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a large tank of water connected to a hose and filled with compressed air. The pressure of the air is given at a specific water height, and the atmospheric pressure is also mentioned. The conversation includes four questions, A-D, which ask for the speed of the water flow at different water heights. The Bernoulli's equation is mentioned as a possible equation to use in solving the problem. The conversation also includes an attempt at solving the first question, but with incorrect units. The correct answer for question A is 26.2 m/s.
reed2100

Homework Statement

A large tank of water has a hose connected to it, as shown in the figure. The tank is sealed at the top and has compressed air between the water surface and the top. When the water height h has the value 3.50m , the absolute pressure p of the compressed air is 4.20 ×105Pa. Assume that the air above the water expands at constant temperature, and take the atmospheric pressure to be 1.00 ×105Pa.

You can't see the figure obviously but it looks like a large cylindrical tank 4 meters high with pressurized air at the top. At the bottom is an outlet pipe that bends upward like an S and is open to the atmosphere 1 meter above the bottom of the tank.

A) What is the speed with which water flows out of the hose when h = 3.5 m?

B) As water flows out of the tank, h decreases. Calculate the speed of flow for h = 3.1m.

C) Calculate the speed of flow for h = 2 m.

D) At what value of h does the flow stop?

Homework Equations

Bernouli's -> P1 + (1/2)ρ(v1)^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + (1/2)ρ(v2)^2 + ρg(h2)

pv =nRT at some point?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so stuck on this that I wasn't able to do part A even, but I feel that once I understand how to do part A I will understand how to do the other parts. I went back to material from last semester to try and refresh on the pressure and flow rate concepts but it didn't spark any new ideas.

I tried the following:

P1 = 4.20*10^5 Pa = 4.145 atm
ρ= 1 for water in this case
h1= 3.5m
v1= 0 (my professor told us that the water movement at the surface inside the tank would be negligible, so I'm thinking that means that this v1 would be 0)

P2 = 1*10^5 Pa = .9869 atm
h2 = 1m (for outlet of pipe leaving tank)
v2 = ? (attempting to figure out, as speed of water at outlet would be speed of water entering pipe)

4.145 atm + (1/2)(1 g/cm^3)(0^2) + (1 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(3.5m) = .9869 atm + (1/2)(1g/cm^3)(v2^2)+(1g/cm^3)(9.8m/s^2)(1m)

Did that math and I got v2 = 7.44 m/s, but the answer is 26.2 m/s.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I think I got it. I just needed to double check all the proper units to use, and I mistakenly converted Pa to atm.

1. How do you calculate the speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel?

The speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure and velocity of the water inside the vessel as well as the atmospheric pressure outside. The equation is as follows: v = √(2(P1-P2)/ρ), where v is the speed of the water, P1 is the pressure inside the vessel, P2 is the atmospheric pressure, and ρ is the density of the water.

2. What factors can affect the speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel?

The speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel can be affected by several factors, including the pressure inside the vessel, the size and shape of the vessel's opening, the viscosity of the water, and any external forces acting on the water such as gravity or friction.

3. Can the speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel be controlled?

Yes, the speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel can be controlled by adjusting the pressure inside the vessel or by changing the size and shape of the vessel's opening. Additionally, using devices such as valves or nozzles can help regulate the speed of the water leaving the vessel.

4. What is the significance of knowing the speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel?

Knowing the speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel is important for various engineering and scientific applications. It can help in designing and optimizing systems such as water pumps, turbines, and hydraulic systems. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of fluids and their impact on surrounding structures.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel?

Yes, there can be safety concerns related to the speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel. If the speed is too high, it can cause damage to the vessel or surrounding structures. It is important to carefully control and monitor the speed of water leaving a pressurized vessel to ensure the safety of people and equipment.