At what time will the particle be traveling at 32 degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a particle moving at a given velocity and accelerating horizontally. The goal is to determine the time at which the particle will be traveling at a certain angle with respect to the horizontal. Various attempts and assumptions were made, but none of the answers provided were accepted by the automatic grading website. The discussion also touches on the inclusion of gravity in the problem and the importance of providing the correct number of decimal places in the answer.
Xamfy19
Can anyone help me solve the following question:
A particle is moving vertically at 4.8 m/s and accelerating horizontally from rest at 1.7 m/s2. At what time will the particle be traveling at 32 degrees with respect to the horizontal? I have got various answers such as 0.894s, 0.44704s, 0.383369s, 0.54934s, 0.441899 and 0.88379s and none of them are correct according to the automatic grading website my professor use for our physics class. Appreciate!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Xamfy,

welcome to the forums!

Post your work so we can help find where the problem is

I assumed that
Vy = 4.8 - 9.8t and
Vx = 1.7t
tan(32) = 0.6249 = Vy/Vx, by solving the equation, I got t = 0.4419, which is not the correct answer. I also try to assume the particle move downward so that
Vy = 4.8 + 9.8 t and
Vx = 1.7t
tan(32) = 0.6249 = Vy/Vx, which gave me a negative number.

I just tried to assume that the particle is moving upward and the gravity is positive. This produced the following function--

Vy = -4.8 + 9.8t
Vx = 1.7t

0.6249 = (-4.8 + 9.8t)/1.7t, Thus,
t=0.59259 s

This is a new value I haven't confirmed yet. I guess I was confused by the original moving direction of the particle. I am also not sure about the sentence "and accelerating horizontally from rest at 1.7 m/s2" If the particle is moving vetically at 4.8 m/s, how can it be at rest when horizontal acceleration is mentioned?

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
the formula required here is

[tex]\tan32 = \frac{|V_y|}{|V_x|}[/tex]

Thanks, but other question is what should be the Vy, 4.8 - 9.8t, 4.8 + 9.8t, or simply 4.8 itself.

I would take "accelerating horizontally from rest at 1.7 m/s2" to mean that the particle was initially not moving horizontally. That's basically what you did.

The particle is going at 32 degrees to the horizontal going upward when t= 0.44 seconds and going downward at 0.549 seconds which are answer you say have been rejected.

Since the problem gives a horizontal acceleration are you sure that you are supposed to include gravitation? It's a bit of a stretch but since you have already "tried" several answers, see what the automatic grading does if you just drop the "9.8".

By the way- some of those can be very sticky when it comes to accepting "just the right" answer. What were you told about number of decimal places to give?

Originally posted by Xamfy19
Thanks, but other question is what should be the Vy, 4.8 - 9.8t, 4.8 + 9.8t, or simply 4.8 itself.

It Vy= 4.8-9.8t is correct if initially it is thrown upwards and including g. it would simply be 4.8 if neglecting g.

Conceptwise the above are true whatever the ans is maybe it demands correct decimal places

Thanks,, himanshu121 and HallsofIvy. I am running out of time for submitting the correct answer to this question. The posted answer from the professor included the neglect g, which means Vy is 4.8 only. This is a good lesson for me to know there are many possible sticky questions existing.

Related to At what time will the particle be traveling at 32 degrees

1. What does it mean for a particle to be traveling at 32 degrees?

When we talk about the angle of a particle's travel, we are referring to the direction in which it is moving relative to a fixed point. In this case, a particle traveling at 32 degrees would be moving at a slight upward angle from the horizontal.

2. How do you measure the angle of a particle's travel?

The angle of a particle's travel can be measured using a protractor or other angle measuring tool. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using trigonometric functions if the particle's velocity and direction are known.

3. Why is it important to know at what time a particle will be traveling at 32 degrees?

Knowing the time at which a particle will be traveling at a certain angle can help in predicting its trajectory and determining its position at a specific time. This information can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

4. How do external factors, such as air resistance, affect the angle of a particle's travel?

Air resistance can affect the angle of a particle's travel by slowing it down and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of the particle's motion, causing it to deviate from its original path.

5. Can a particle travel at exactly 32 degrees?

In theory, a particle can travel at exactly 32 degrees if there is no external force acting on it. However, in reality, it is unlikely for a particle to maintain a constant angle of travel due to various factors such as air resistance, gravity, and collisions with other particles.