Motion of a charged particle in an uniform electric field

In summary, the problem involves a particle with charge +Q moving with constant horizontal velocity passing between two parallel plates in an electric field. The length of the plates is L. The question is whether the time spent in the field is simply the length divided by the horizontal component of velocity, or if the vertical component of velocity due to acceleration in the field also plays a role. The proposed solution is to model the problem as projectile motion under gravity, where the horizontal distance traveled depends on the horizontal velocity and the time of flight. Therefore, the time spent in the field would depend on the horizontal velocity and the acceleration in the vertical direction.
MBBphys
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Imagine a particle with charge +Q moving with constant horizontal velocity passing perpendicular to electric field between two parallel plates. The length of the plates is L.

Therefore, is the time spent in the field (well, between the plates), simply the length/horizontal component of velocity or will the vertical component (due to acceleration in vertical direction in field) also play a role?

Homework Equations

t=L/(Vh)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this would exactly like an object thrown horizontally in the gravitational field of the earth-->until it hits the surface, how far it travels horizontally is only determined by the horizontal component of its velocity, not its vertical acceleration. Therefore, I though the same would be true for the instance involving the electric field I just provided.

I would appreciate your clarification (if I am correct) or help (if I am wrong!); thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Modeling the problem as if it were projectile motion under gravity is appropriate. It is also true that the horizontal distance traveled depends on the horizontal velocity and (don't forget) the time of flight. The problem is asking about the time of flight. What does that depend on and how?

1. What is the equation for the motion of a charged particle in a uniform electric field?

The equation for the motion of a charged particle in a uniform electric field is F = qE, where F is the force on the particle, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field strength.

2. How does the direction of the electric field affect the motion of a charged particle?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force on the charged particle. If the electric field is in the same direction as the particle's motion, the force will accelerate the particle in that direction. If the electric field is opposite to the particle's motion, the force will decelerate the particle.

3. Can a charged particle in a uniform electric field change its speed?

Yes, a charged particle in a uniform electric field can change its speed. If the electric field is only in one direction, the particle will accelerate or decelerate depending on its initial velocity. If the electric field is in multiple directions, the particle will experience a net force and change its speed and direction of motion.

4. What happens to the motion of a charged particle if the electric field is turned off?

If the electric field is turned off, there will be no force acting on the charged particle and it will continue to move in a straight line with a constant velocity, according to Newton's first law of motion.

5. How does the mass of a charged particle affect its motion in a uniform electric field?

The mass of a charged particle does not affect its motion in a uniform electric field. The force on a charged particle in an electric field is proportional to its charge, not its mass. Therefore, a particle with a larger mass will experience the same acceleration as a particle with a smaller mass, as long as they have the same charge and are in the same electric field.