Atmospheric Extinction: Calculating Visible & Radio Wave Opacity

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the atmospheric depth at sea level can be calculated using the Beer-Lambert Law and the attenuation coefficients for visible light and radio waves. Based on these calculations, the atmospheric depth for visible light is approximately 500 km and for radio waves is approximately 20 km. However, these values may vary slightly in real-world conditions due to the curvature of the Earth.
Gotaskor
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with something.

I've been asked to calculate, assuming no curvature for the Earth, how far through the atmosphere one could see when stood at sea-level - as in, at what distance would the atmosphere become opaque, both to visible light and to radio waves.

I know that the major factors to look at will be Rayleigh scattering and the attenuation coefficient of the atmosphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any insights or calculations would be greatly appreciated.Hello there,

I would be happy to help you with your question. The distance at which the atmosphere becomes opaque to visible light and radio waves is known as the atmospheric depth. This depth can vary depending on factors such as altitude, weather conditions, and the specific wavelengths of light or radio waves being considered.

To calculate the atmospheric depth at sea level, we can use the Beer-Lambert Law, which relates the intensity of light passing through a material to its thickness and the material's attenuation coefficient. In this case, the material is the atmosphere and the thickness is the distance from sea level to the point where the atmosphere becomes opaque.

The attenuation coefficient of the atmosphere is dependent on the type of radiation being considered. For visible light, we can use the Rayleigh scattering formula, which takes into account the scattering of light by particles in the atmosphere. For radio waves, we can use the absorption coefficient, which represents the amount of energy absorbed by the atmosphere as the waves pass through it.

Assuming an average attenuation coefficient for visible light of 0.2 km^-1 and for radio waves of 0.005 km^-1, we can calculate the atmospheric depth at sea level using the following formula:

Atmospheric depth = (1/attenuation coefficient) x ln(1/transmittance)

For visible light, the transmittance is typically around 0.01%, meaning that only 0.01% of light is able to pass through the atmosphere. Plugging in the values, we get an atmospheric depth of approximately 500 km for visible light.

For radio waves, the transmittance is typically much higher, around 99.9%. Plugging in the values, we get an atmospheric depth of approximately 20 km for radio waves.

It's important to note that these calculations are based on the assumption of no curvature for the Earth. In reality, the curvature of the Earth does play a role in the attenuation of light and radio waves, so these values may vary slightly in real-world conditions.

I hope this helps with your calculations. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is atmospheric extinction?

Atmospheric extinction refers to the gradual decrease in the intensity of electromagnetic radiation (such as visible light or radio waves) as it passes through the Earth's atmosphere. This is caused by scattering and absorption of the radiation by particles and gases in the atmosphere.

2. Why is it important to calculate atmospheric extinction?

Calculating atmospheric extinction is important for a variety of reasons. It can help us understand how much of the sun's radiation reaches the Earth's surface, which is important for climate and weather forecasting. It also affects the visibility of stars and other celestial objects for astronomers.

3. How is atmospheric extinction measured?

Atmospheric extinction is typically measured using a unit called the extinction coefficient, which represents the decrease in intensity of the radiation per unit distance. It can be measured using instruments such as photometers or radiometers that are sensitive to the specific wavelengths being studied.

4. What factors affect atmospheric extinction?

Several factors can affect atmospheric extinction, including the amount and type of particles and gases in the atmosphere, as well as the wavelength of the radiation being studied. For example, shorter wavelengths (such as ultraviolet light) are more easily scattered and absorbed by the atmosphere compared to longer wavelengths (such as radio waves).

5. How does atmospheric extinction impact different types of radiation?

The impact of atmospheric extinction varies depending on the type of radiation being studied. For visible light, shorter wavelengths (such as blue and violet) are more easily scattered and absorbed, which is why the sky appears blue. For radio waves, longer wavelengths are less affected by atmospheric extinction, which is why they are used for long-distance communication and astronomy.