Atomic Physics Textbook Reviews: Best Books & Alternatives

In summary, the conversation discusses a course on Atomic Physics in a UK university and the recommended textbooks for it. The person asks for advice on whether these textbooks are good and if there are any better alternatives. They also mention an old thread with recommendations and other related threads.
MrsTesla
Hello,

Next semester I'll be in my 3rd year of a physics degree in a UK university and I'll have a course on Atomic Physics.
The recommended textbooks are:
D G C Jones (1997). Atomic Physics.
G K Woodgate (1983). Elementary Atomic Structure.

Does anyone know if they are good? Are there better alternatives?
I want to buy a textbook on the subject but I have no idea which ones are the best on the topic.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are the best books for learning atomic physics?

The best books for learning atomic physics will vary depending on the individual's learning style and level of understanding. Some popular options include "Introduction to Atomic Physics" by Christopher J. Foot, "Atomic Physics" by J. B. Marion and C. S. Shaffer, and "Atomic Physics: An Exploration through Problems and Solutions" by Dmitry Budker and Derek F. Kimball.

2. Are there any alternative resources to traditional textbooks for learning atomic physics?

Yes, there are alternative resources such as online courses, video lectures, and interactive simulations that can supplement traditional textbooks for learning atomic physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and PhET Interactive Simulations.

3. How can I determine the credibility of an atomic physics textbook?

One way to determine the credibility of an atomic physics textbook is to look at the author's credentials and affiliations. It is also helpful to read reviews and see if the textbook has been cited in other reputable sources. Additionally, checking the publisher and publication date can also provide insights into the credibility of the textbook.

4. Are there any specific textbooks recommended for beginners in atomic physics?

Yes, some textbooks are specifically designed for beginners in atomic physics. These include "Atomic Physics: An Exploration through Problems and Solutions" by Dmitry Budker and Derek F. Kimball and "Atomic Physics" by J. B. Marion and C. S. Shaffer. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject and use clear and concise language to explain complex concepts.

5. Can I find free online versions of atomic physics textbooks?

Yes, there are some free online versions of atomic physics textbooks available. These include "Introduction to Atomic Physics" by Christopher J. Foot, which is available on arXiv, and "Atomic Physics" by J. B. Marion and C. S. Shaffer, which is available on the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) website. However, it is important to note that these free versions may not be the most updated or comprehensive versions of the textbooks.