Attach file vs. Insert Quotes

• Thread starter bob012345
  • Start date
In summary: button.Looking down below there is now my posting composition field, and I see bothquotes; and below the field I see the button tools, ATTACH FILES, and INSERT QUOTES.I click on INSERT QUOTES button.A box comes up Review Selected Messages,...and at the bottom is a button QUOTE MESSAGES.I click on QUOTE MESSAGES button.Strange. Now I see in the post composition field, post #16 quote is doubled; and still present is post #17 quoted.
bob012345
Gold Member
On the bottom of my PF screen (on a Mac) it says Attach files in a button. Someone I communicate (on a PC) with it says Insert Quotes in the same place. This thread it says both? Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Screenshot?
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 2.29.24 PM.png

0.png

Mac on top. PC on bottom.

For starters, "insert quotes" is a dynamic button. It only appears after you've quoted something.

Likes bob012345
I see both buttons on my PC.

1658347663861.png

DaveC426913 said:
For staarters, "insert quotes" is a dynamic button. It only appears after you've quoted something.
How do they get to Attach files so they can attach a file?

DaveC426913 said:
For staarters, "insert quotes" is a dynamic button. It only appears after you've quoted something.
Interesting. If I put something in the quotation buffer I see both:

1658347661250.png

bob012345 said:
How do they get to Attach files so they can attach a file?
Mac users aren't allowed to attach files without parental supervision.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
I see both buttons on my PC.

View attachment 304521
I do in this thread. Is it different in private conversations? That is where we are communicating.

Maybe "attach files" has to do with privileges to avoid uncontrolled uploads?

@Greg Bernhardt should be able to tell.

bob012345 said:
I do in this thread. Is it different in private conversations? That is where we are communicating.
No. Not here.

bob012345 said:
I don't get 'Insert Quote' in a private conversation - even if I have stuff in the Quote Buffer.

Likes symbolipoint
My colleague can't attach a screenshot or image to show me in PF but we have a workaround (email) so it's not stopping progress.

Is the problem that insert quotes doesn't show in conversations?

Likes bob012345
I just use cut & Paste CTRL-X & CTRL-V for images. Drag and drop also works.

Likes bob012345
Yah, I'm still a little confused too.
Are we really comparing apples to apples?

DaveC426913 said:
Not sure but I will forward these comments to my colleague. Thanks all for the help!

DaveC426913 said:
I don't get 'Insert Quote' in a private conversation - even if I have stuff in the Quote Buffer.
I get both, same as in the regular forums.

@Greg Bernhardt The question is: How does it come that someone only sees "insert quotes" and not "attach files"?

fresh_42 said:
I get both, same as in the regular forums.

@Greg Bernhardt The question is: How does it come that someone only sees "insert quotes" and not "attach files"?
I'm only seeing the one button in private conversations.

bob012345 said:
I'm only seeing the one button in private conversations.
I as well, until I mark something and click "+Quote"

fresh_42 said:
I as well, until I mark something and click "+Quote"
My colleague only sees Insert Quote but not Attach file in the private conversation we have.

bob012345 said:
My colleague only sees Insert Quote but not Attach file in the private conversation we have.
There are other factors. They may be using the simple editor, for example.

Likes bob012345
Greg Bernhardt said:
Is the problem that insert quotes doesn't show in conversations?
Yes for one side of the conversation. For the other Attach files doesn't show but Insert Quotes does show.

bob012345 said:
For the other Attach files doesn't show but Insert Quotes does show.
Attachments in conversations are available only if you have Gold Membership. The person you are conversing with doesn't have Gold (just checked their profile).

Regarding the Insert Quotes option, I see what others are seeing: quoting posts from the main forum does not show the "Insert Quotes" button in conversations.

• Informative
Likes bob012345 and DaveC426913
Wrichik Basu said:
Attachments in conversations are available only if you have Gold Membership. The person you are conversing with doesn't have Gold (just checked their profile).

Regarding the Insert Quotes option, I see what others are seeing: quoting posts from the main forum does not show the "Insert Quotes" button in conversations.
Okay, that resolves it, thank you.

Likes Wrichik Basu
DaveC426913 said:
DaveC426913 said:

bob012345 said:
Not sure but I will forward these comments to my colleague. Thanks all for the help!

I do not want to mess around with screen shots. I will try this:
Post #16 and post #17 - I will multiquote them, and tell what I find.

Next, I go to post #16 (just arbitrary) and click REPLY.

Looking down below there is now my posting composition field, and I see both
quotes; and below the field I see the button tools, ATTACH FILES, and INSERT QUOTES.

I WiLL click INSERT QUOTES button.

A box comes up Review Selected Messages,...
and at the bottom is a button QUOTE MESSAGES.

I click on QUOTE MESSAGES button.
Strange. Now I see in the post composition field, post #16 quote is doubled;
and still present is post #17 quoted.I now press or click the POST REPLY button.

1. What is the difference between attaching a file and inserting a quote?

Attaching a file involves uploading a separate document or file to a specific location, while inserting a quote involves copying and pasting a specific section of text into a document or file.

2. Which method is more efficient for including external sources?

Inserting a quote is typically more efficient for including external sources, as it allows for the direct integration of the source material into the document without the need for additional steps or downloads.

3. Can I attach any type of file to a document?

It depends on the document or platform you are using. Some platforms may have restrictions on the types of files that can be attached, while others may allow for a wider range of file types.

4. Is there a limit to the number of quotes or files I can attach or insert?

Again, this may vary depending on the document or platform. Some may have limits on the number of files or quotes that can be attached or inserted, while others may not have any limitations.

5. Which method is more commonly used in scientific research?

Both attaching files and inserting quotes are commonly used in scientific research, as they serve different purposes. Attaching files allows for the inclusion of raw data or supplementary materials, while inserting quotes allows for the proper citation and referencing of external sources.