Audio Source Moving @ Supersonic Speed

In summary: However, assuming the shock wave doesn't ruin your ears/science-grade microphone, you should be able to hear the individual cycles of the sound wave. Sort of. Basically, if you're close enough to the speaker when it's launched, you'll hear it emitting sound at the normal frequency, then a tiny bit before that you'll hear the sound from the previous cycle, and then a tiny bit after that you'll hear the sound from the next cycle. If you're farther away, you'll only hear the sound from the current cycle.
heavyrocks
Let's say I have an indestructible speaker and I launch it out of a cannon at Mach 1.5 while it's playing music. (To make things simple, it also has an iPod and battery attached to it.) If the speaker passes a stationary observer, will they hear each cycle of the sound wave from the speaker in reverse order after the speaker passes them?

I remember reading a paper about this, but I can't find it anywhere now and I'm starting to think maybe I imagined it.

Physics news on Phys.org
heavyrocks said:
I remember reading a paper about this, but I can't find it anywhere now and I'm starting to think maybe I imagined it.
xkcd: What if?

In theory, it would be possible to hear it backwards, but in a realistic setup this is really hard.

I can't imagine why they would hear music play backwards. While it is behind its shockwave you hear nothing, while on the same side, you hear Doppler shifted music.

If the music starts before being shot by the cannon, you hear normal music, then a sonic boom, then the more normal music combined with skipped-ahead, Doppler shifted music.

See the explanation I linked. With the example of Mach 2: 1/2 second after the radio passes you, you hear sounds emitted 1/2s ago (emitted in a distance of 1 "sound-second"). 1 second after the radio passes you, you hear sounds emitted 1s ago (in a distance of 2 "sound-seconds"), and so on.

If the radio moves at Mach 1, you hear "everything at the same time", and below Mach 1 you hear it in the right order.

MFB, you're right on the money, that's where I saw it. Thanks a googol.

I guess the part I'm not getting is how the sound can "chase" the speaker. Any sound moving forward gets collapsed into the shock wave, doesn't it?

At exactly mach 1, there is just a pressure front, but once you go faster than the sound waves themselves, all the wave fronts except the one you're currently emitting are behind you.

Hmm. Looking at the diagram on the wiki page for sonic boom, the shock wave forms a tangent to the expanding circles of sound and due to the angle, there is a small portion of the forward facing hemisphere not included in the shock wave. So it would indeed enable hearing some* of the previous emitted sounds backwards in a short time.

*Based on the angle emitted, you only get sounds angled slightly forward of straight down.

heavyrocks said:
At exactly mach 1, there is just a pressure front, but once you go faster than the sound waves themselves, all the wave fronts except the one you're currently emitting are behind you.
Behind the flying speaker, yes: and almost half is combined into the shock wave.

(Edit). I'm still thinking this through/ trying to diagram it; it is hard to take the tangent of a point...

Last edited:
Assuming the shock wave doesn't ruin your ears/science-grade microphone.

At the apex of the cone the math gets hairy, frequency becomes arbitrarily large.

1. What is "Audio Source Moving @ Supersonic Speed"?

"Audio Source Moving @ Supersonic Speed" refers to a sound source that is traveling faster than the speed of sound, which is approximately 343 meters per second. This can be achieved through various methods such as a supersonic aircraft or a sound wave traveling through a medium with a high velocity.

2. How does the speed of sound affect audio perception?

The speed of sound can significantly impact the perception of audio. As sound travels faster, it can cause distortions and changes in pitch and frequency. This can make it difficult to accurately perceive the sound or understand it clearly.

3. How does the Doppler effect play a role in "Audio Source Moving @ Supersonic Speed"?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency and pitch of a sound wave as the source of the sound moves towards or away from the observer. In the case of an audio source moving at supersonic speed, the Doppler effect can cause a significant shift in frequency and pitch, making the sound appear distorted or incomprehensible.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when working with "Audio Source Moving @ Supersonic Speed"?

When working with an audio source moving at supersonic speed, it is essential to take necessary safety precautions. This can include wearing proper hearing protection, staying a safe distance from the source, and following all safety guidelines set by the manufacturer. It is also crucial to have a thorough understanding of the equipment and its capabilities before use.

5. Can the human ear hear sounds that are moving at supersonic speed?

Yes, the human ear can perceive sounds that are moving at supersonic speed. However, due to the high velocity of the sound, it may be challenging to accurately perceive the sound or understand it clearly. Additionally, prolonged exposure to sounds at supersonic speeds can cause damage to the ears, so it is essential to take proper precautions when working with such audio sources.