Sources of Error in a Speed of Sound Experiment

In summary, the experiment involved playing a tone above a standing open-closed tube with water in it, and measuring the first harmonic through a computer system. The sources of error that could have affected the results include inaccurate measurement increments on the tube, human hearing potentially not detecting the loudest volume, the presence of alternate particles in the air affecting the speed of sound, and the uncertainty associated with the frequency used. Additionally, the diameter and length of the tube, as well as the background environment and the open end of the tube, could also have played a role in the results. Further information on the experiment, such as the frequencies used and whether it was repeated or tested with other nodes, would provide a better understanding of the setup.
mitchy16

Homework Statement

Determine sources of error which could have affected the results.
Some background information: The lab consisted of playing a tone generated by a tone generator above a standing open-closed tube which had water in it. The first harmonic was measured through a computer system, by determining when the loudest volume was and the tube length where it occurred was recorded.
The experimental setup was a long tube was placed standing up which had water in it, and it was connected to another water cup through a tube, and the water cup was moved up and down in order to determine the L at which the highest volume occurs. There was a tone generator at the top of the tube. The top of the tube was open.
The percent error I obtained was 76% (very high I know, but the TA said it is expected to be that large).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First source of error: measurement increments on the tube are inaccurate
Second source of error: due to human hearing, maybe I didn't hear the highest volume and it resulted in the results being altered.
My TA said the sources of error have to well thought out and not the generic ones, like my first one. I'm not too sure what else I can include. Any help is appreciated!
EDIT: Could one be that there are alternate particles (such as water) in the air and that could cause discrepencies in the speed of sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
mitchy16 said:
The first harmonic was measured through a computer system, by determining when the loudest volume was and the tube length where it occurred was recorded.
mitchy16 said:
Second source of error: due to human hearing, maybe I didn't hear the highest volume and it resulted in the results being altered.
Did you use a computer or your ears to find the loudest point?

The tube will contain some water vapor, but that shouldn't have a large effect. Can the experiment be done with other gases as well? Might some of that still have been in there when you started the experiment?
76% error is huge. I can easily see where 5% to 10% would come from, but 76% basically means you could have guessed randomly.

Technically there is an uncertainty associated to the frequency but that should be negligible.

How did you define the end of the tube? Could this be an issue?To understand your setup better it would help to have some numbers. What was the diameter of the tube? What was the length of the tube at the loudest point? Which frequency did you use? Did you repeat the experiment? Or test other nodes?

Likes mitchy16
mfb said:
Did you use a computer or your ears to find the loudest point?

The tube will contain some water vapor, but that shouldn't have a large effect. Can the experiment be done with other gases as well? Might some of that still have been in there when you started the experiment?
76% error is huge. I can easily see where 5% to 10% would come from, but 76% basically means you could have guessed randomly.

Technically there is an uncertainty associated to the frequency but that should be negligible.

How did you define the end of the tube? Could this be an issue?To understand your setup better it would help to have some numbers. What was the diameter of the tube? What was the length of the tube at the loudest point? Which frequency did you use? Did you repeat the experiment? Or test other nodes?
Yes, human ears were used to hear the loudest volume.
The tube was approx. 1 metre long and the diameter was approx. 10cm.
The bottom of the tube was closed, and the top was open.
There were 4 different frequencies tested, 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 2000 Hz. Also, it was assumed that it was the first harmonic which was being listened to.
Thanks!

mitchy16 said:
human ears were used to hear the loudest volume.
The background environment could be significant. At a pure frequency, echoes from walls will produce static interference patterns. A small displacement in the position of the ear could lead to a significant change in loudness. Maybe ok if the ear is held very close to the source.
mitchy16 said:
the top was open
At the open end, the tube is effectively longer by about 60% of the radius. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_correction.
Please post your data.

What are the sources of error in a speed of sound experiment?

The sources of error in a speed of sound experiment can include environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure, as well as human error in measurement and experimental setup.

How does temperature affect the speed of sound?

Temperature has a direct effect on the speed of sound, as sound travels faster in warmer temperatures compared to colder temperatures. This is because the molecules in warmer air have higher kinetic energy, allowing them to vibrate more quickly and transmit sound waves faster.

What is the impact of humidity on the speed of sound?

Humidity can also affect the speed of sound, as water vapor in the air can absorb and scatter sound waves, causing them to travel slower. This is more noticeable in high humidity environments compared to dry environments.

How can human error affect the results of a speed of sound experiment?

Human error can play a significant role in the accuracy of a speed of sound experiment. This can include errors in measurement, calculation, and recording of data, as well as inconsistencies in experimental setup and execution.

How can sources of error be minimized in a speed of sound experiment?

To minimize sources of error in a speed of sound experiment, it is important to carefully control and monitor environmental factors, use precise and calibrated equipment, and ensure proper experimental techniques are followed. It is also important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results to reduce the impact of any individual errors.