Aurora Australis: Reflections from Down Under

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aurora
In summary, the conversation is about the rarity of seeing an Aurora Australis in Sydney, Australia and the difference in visibility from different latitudes. The speaker mentions their previous home in New Zealand where they were able to see and photograph many auroras. The other person in the conversation also shares their experience living in Alaska and not being able to see an aurora.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
nice one spark

ohhhh how I so miss the Aurora ( Aurora Australis for me in the southern hemisphere)
I have beem living in Sydney, Australia for the last 13 and a half years and its extremely rare
for an aurora to be seen from this latitude ~ 32S

From my old home in Dunedin, New Zealand, 46S I used to see and photo many aurora

attachment.php?attachmentid=60004&stc=1&d=1372671722.jpg

nice reflection in the ocean :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=60005&stc=1&d=1372671722.jpg

regards
Dave

Attachments

• 9811_au3.jpg
    9811_au3.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 591
  • 9811_au5.jpg
    9811_au5.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 562
Likes 1 person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks Dave...I like your first shot, getting a reflection off water is always cool.

Second one is neat too.

Last edited:
I lived in Alaska for 3 straight years. (1965-1968)

I don't remember ever seeing an aurora. :cry:

--------------------
Friendship request to davenn revoked! I am very jealous... :grumpy:

1. What is the Aurora Australis?

The Aurora Australis, also known as the Southern Lights, is a natural light display that occurs in the southern hemisphere. It is caused by charged particles from the sun interacting with the Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere.

2. Where can the Aurora Australis be seen?

The Aurora Australis can be seen in the southernmost regions of the world, such as Antarctica, New Zealand, and Southern Australia. However, it is most commonly seen in polar regions, particularly in the Antarctic Circle.

3. What causes the different colors in the Aurora Australis?

The colors in the Aurora Australis are a result of different gases in the Earth's atmosphere being excited by the charged particles from the sun. Oxygen produces green and red light, while nitrogen produces blue and purple light.

4. When is the best time to see the Aurora Australis?

The Aurora Australis is most commonly seen during the winter months in the southern hemisphere, from March to September. However, it is also dependent on solar activity and weather conditions, so there is no guaranteed time to see it.

5. How can I photograph the Aurora Australis?

To capture the Aurora Australis in a photograph, you will need a camera with manual settings, a tripod, and a remote shutter release. Set your camera to a high ISO and a long exposure time, and experiment with different settings to capture the best image. It is also recommended to find a dark and open area away from city lights for the best viewing and photography experience.