Automotive Radiator Sample Calculations Help

In summary, this student is looking for information on how to calculate cooling requirements for a car engine, as well as how to find information on car radiator sizing. First, they looked at a website on car cooling systems, and second, they did a web search for "how to size an engine radiator."
Messy Jesse
Hi all,

As part of a school project, I'm attempting to demonstrate some sample calculations of a car radiator and I'm a little lost. I'd like to demonstrate some cooling requirements for the peak power output of my car engine: 325 horsepower at 4400 RPM.

Can anyone offer any guidance as to how to obtain sample values for the max conditions:
Typical inlet and outlet coolant temperatures?
Coolant volumetric flow rate?

Engineering news on Phys.org
To be honest, I think you need to find another project. The problem with your proposed project is that the cooling of the engine is based upon the residual heat transfer to the engine assembly of that part of the combustion heat that is not removed by the engine exhaust gases. So there is no good way to determine how the removal of that heat is split between the exhaust discharge and the engine's cooling system.

Automobile engine cooling systems are designed to be able to remove more heat than is required to maintain the desired engine operating temperature under the anticipated worst case operating conditions and then a temperature sensitive thermostat controls the coolant flow rate through the system to maintain the engine at the desired operating temperature regardless of the variations in ambient air temperature or engine horsepower being generated at any given time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

This project is actually part of a larger project involving the restoration of a car. As just a small part of it, we'll be ordering a new custom radiator to mate with his engine. In reality, I'll be leaving the radiator designing and building to the pros at a custom rad shop. In the meantime, we're writing reports and I've been asked to perform some type of engineering / quantitative analysis to keep in mind for rad selection. So really, I'm looking for any type of quantitative analysis or relevant equations to convince my professors I know what's going on in the radiator. Sort of lost as to what direction to take. It doesn't need to be very involved, it can be general stuff.

1. How do I calculate the required size of an automotive radiator?

To calculate the required size of an automotive radiator, you will need to consider factors such as the engine size, horsepower, and cooling system efficiency. You can use a formula that takes into account the heat load of the engine and the maximum temperature difference between the coolant and the air. It is recommended to consult a professional or use online calculators for accurate calculations.

2. What is the ideal material for an automotive radiator?

The ideal material for an automotive radiator is aluminum. It is lightweight, has good thermal conductivity, and is resistant to corrosion. However, some radiators are also made of copper or brass. When choosing a material, consider factors such as cost, durability, and compatibility with your vehicle's cooling system.

3. How can I determine the cooling capacity of an automotive radiator?

The cooling capacity of an automotive radiator is determined by its ability to dissipate heat from the engine. This can be calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of coolant by the specific heat capacity of the coolant and the temperature difference between the coolant and the air. The resulting value is the heat rejected by the radiator in a given period of time.

4. What is the recommended coolant flow rate for an automotive radiator?

The recommended coolant flow rate for an automotive radiator depends on factors such as the engine size, horsepower, and ambient temperature. It is generally recommended to have a flow rate of 1 gallon per minute for every 10 horsepower. However, it is important to consult your vehicle's manufacturer or a professional for the most accurate recommendation.

5. Can I use larger or smaller radiators for my vehicle?

It is not recommended to use a radiator that is significantly larger or smaller than the manufacturer's specifications for your vehicle. This can affect the cooling system's efficiency and potentially cause damage to the engine. It is best to stick to the recommended size and consult a professional if you are considering making any changes to your vehicle's radiator.