Average Acceleration Confusion

In summary, the man stands still for the first 5 minutes and then walks briskly at a constant speed of 2.5 m/s for the next 5 minutes. The question asks for his average acceleration in the interval of 2 minutes to 8 minutes. The formula for average acceleration is ∆V/∆t, but the final velocity is already given, so there is no need to calculate it. The correct answer is 0.00694 m/s^2.
praecox

Homework Statement

From t = 0 to t = 5.00 min, a man stands still, and from t = 5.00 min to t = 10.0 min, he walks briskly in a straight line at a constant speed of 2.5 m/s.

What is his average acceleration aavg in the interval 2.00 min to 8.00 min?

Homework Equations

I know that in the formula the A_avg is ∆V/∆t... but I can't make it work for me. It says the answer is .00694 m/s^2, but I keep getting a different answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate the final velocity (V_f): ∆d/∆t: [2.5 m/s x 180 s]/480s. (or 2.5 m/s x 3 minutes)/8 minutes). This give me 0.975 m/s^2.
The initial velocity (V_i) seems to me that it would be 0 at t=2 minutes.
So A = [.975-0]/∆t = [.975 m/s]/360s = .0027 m/s^2.

but this is wrong.

Help please. where did I mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
praecox said:
I tried to calculate the final velocity (V_f): ∆d/∆t: [2.5 m/s x 180 s]/480s. (or 2.5 m/s x 3 minutes)/8 minutes). This give me 0.975 m/s^2.
The final velocity is given--no need to calculate it! (You're calculating the average velocity, which is not needed.)

!
Thank you so much. I knew it was something silly I was messing up.
:blush:

Related to Average Acceleration Confusion

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval.

2. How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the average rate of change of velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of velocity at a specific moment in time.

3. What causes confusion about average acceleration?

Confusion about average acceleration can be caused by not understanding the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration, or by not properly interpreting acceleration data.

4. How is average acceleration calculated?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval. The formula is: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time interval.

5. Why is average acceleration important?

Average acceleration is important because it helps us understand how the velocity of an object changes over time. It is also a key concept in Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.