Average back emf induced in coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average back-emf induced in a coil in a loudspeaker with an inductance of 112 microH. The current must oscillate between peak values of + and - 4.4 A in half a period to produce a sound of frequency 40kHz. The participants are confused about how to incorporate the half period into the solution and whether calculus is needed. The suggested solution is to find the mean value of the voltage waveform during the half-period interval.
lloyd21

Homework Statement

hey! I saw you've answered this question before...

Hi,
I would appreciate any help with the following:

The coil in a loudspeaker has an inductance of L = 112 microH. To produce a sound of frequency 40kHz, the current must oscillate between peak values of + and - 4.4 A in half a period. What average back emf is induced in the coil during this variation?

My main confusion is, why do we need to know the half period thing...I have no idea how to incorporate it into the solution.

Here's what I have now:

Xl = inductive reactance = 2 pi f L = 2 pi 40 x 10^3 x 112 x 10^-6 = 28.15 Ohm.

Then I rms = I/sqrt 2 = 4.4/sqrt 2 = 3.11 A. Am I correct in looking at rms values here?

Then V rms = I rms x Xl = 3.11 x 28.15 = 87.5 V.

Is that all? Is this V rms the average induced back emf they are asking for? Or am I wrong? I'm really confused about this one.

Any help would be much appreciate! Thanks!The back-emf created by an inductor depends upon the rate of change of the current flowing through it. Thus for an inductance L,
V=LdIdt
Iam stuck at the same part. With the v= dI / dt ...wouldn't that give the answer of 1 V?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that they want you to consider a particular period of a cycle where the current will be changing monotonically. Otherwise the average value of the current or back emf (or any other sinusoidal signal) over an extended time is zero.

So sketch a cosine function. Pick the first half cycle where it goes from max value to min value. Hint: that's the very first half cycle for a cosine.

Do some calculus. You should be able to write the expression for the current function. Find the back emf function. Average the back emf over the chosen period.

It says there should not be any calculus involved?

lloyd21 said:
It says there should not be any calculus involved?
I never saw that limitation. Then perhaps the question is badly phrased and "average" doesn't mean what it should in this context. It certainly is a confusing matter if they identify a particular portion of a cycle and ask for an average during that period and don't expect the use of calculus, and then it turns out they actually want something else entirely.

I suppose then they really just want the rms value of the voltage as the original poster laid out.

I think that an emf(t) can be calculated as for a fixed coil ( windings glued and so on ), but mounted in a loud-speaker in a magnetic field, the coil and the attached membrane will oscillate when an ac-current is induced. That's the purpose. Thus the coil will cross the magnetic field and an unpredictable emf will be induced, because the movements depend on mass of the coil+membrane and sound pressure on the membrane, and we don't know the masses and the pressure.

lloyd21 said:
The coil in a loudspeaker has an inductance of L = 112 microH. To produce a sound of frequency 40kHz, the current must oscillate between peak values of + and - 4.4 A in half a period. What average back emf is induced in the coil during this variation?
In a pure inductance, during the interval where instantaneous current swings from +Amax to -Amax the voltage waveform goes through one unipolar halfcycle. You should be able to determine the mean value of that voltage waveform during that half-period interval.

I think that's probably all that is intended.

1. What is the definition of "average back emf induced in coil"?

The average back emf induced in a coil refers to the average voltage that is generated by the coil due to the change in magnetic flux through it. This voltage is induced in the opposite direction to the applied voltage, hence the term "back" emf.

2. How is the average back emf induced in a coil calculated?

The average back emf induced in a coil is calculated by dividing the change in magnetic flux through the coil by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation: average back emf = (change in magnetic flux)/time.

3. What factors can affect the average back emf induced in a coil?

The main factors that can affect the average back emf induced in a coil are the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the rate at which the magnetic field changes. Additionally, the resistance of the coil and the material it is made of can also impact the average back emf.

4. How is the average back emf induced in a coil used in practical applications?

The average back emf induced in a coil has many practical applications, such as in generators and motors. In generators, the induced back emf helps to generate electricity, while in motors, it works to oppose the applied voltage and create motion. Additionally, the concept of back emf is also used in electronic circuits to regulate voltage levels.

5. Can the average back emf induced in a coil be negative?

Yes, the average back emf induced in a coil can be negative as it is induced in the opposite direction to the applied voltage. This can occur when the magnetic field is decreasing or when the coil is connected to a circuit with a higher voltage, causing it to act as a generator rather than a load. However, the magnitude of the back emf is often smaller than the applied voltage, resulting in a net positive voltage in the circuit.