Already answered, just need quick piece of advice

• Thread starter lloyd21
  • Start date
In summary, equinox2012 is trying to find the average back-emf over the period of time given. Xl is the inductance and I/sqrt 2 is the rms value. V rms is the average back-emf.
lloyd21

Homework Statement

Hi,
I would appreciate any help with the following:

The coil in a loudspeaker has an inductance of L = 112 microH. To produce a sound of frequency 40kHz, the current must oscillate between peak values of + and - 4.4 A in half a period. What average back emf is induced in the coil during this variation?

My main confusion is, why do we need to know the half period thing...I have no idea how to incorporate it into the solution.

Here's what I have now:

Xl = inductive reactance = 2 pi f L = 2 pi 40 x 10^3 x 112 x 10^-6 = 28.15 Ohm.

Then I rms = I/sqrt 2 = 4.4/sqrt 2 = 3.11 A. Am I correct in looking at rms values here?

Then V rms = I rms x Xl = 3.11 x 28.15 = 87.5 V.

Is that all? Is this V rms the average induced back emf they are asking for? Or am I wrong? I'm really confused about this one.

Any help would be much appreciate! Thanks!
Hi equinox2012, Welcome to Physics Forums.

The back-emf created by an inductor depends upon the rate of change of the current flowing through it. Thus for an inductance L,
V=LdIdt

That's why the information about the change in current over a particular period of time was given

I don't know how to change my calculations to the new formula that was given

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like they want you to find the average value of the back-emf over the period of time given. I'd forget the rms values and write the current as an appropriate function of time. Then use the relationship between voltage and current for an inductor to find the back-emf as a function of time, too. Go from there to find the average value. Note: some calculus may be involved...

gneill said:
It looks like they want you to find the average value of the back-emf over the period of time given. I'd forget the rms values and write the current as an appropriate function of time. Then use the relationship between voltage and current for an inductor to find the back-emf as a function of time, too. Go from there to find the average value. Note: some calculus may be involved...

Thats where I am confused, there isn't suppose to be any calculus. I just don't understand the V=L dI/dt ...it gives me a massive voltage which is not correct

I tried gneill and the results defenitley did not come out the way they are supposed to. the second part to the question says - How does this compare to the applied emf of 18V?...thats why i think the first answer was more accurate? I am lost...

No calculus, eh? Then I'll need to rethink what they're after.

Terms like peak, rms, and average have very specific meanings in electronics. When I read the question my take was that they wanted the average back-emf for the part of the current cycle where it goes from a peak of +4 amps to a minimum of -4 amps.

If the current is represented as a cosine function, the back emf will have the form of a sine function (thanks to that dI/dt). Now, the average value of any sinusoid over time is always zero (positive and negative excursions all cancel out). But it can be non-zero over some fraction of a cycle. That's why I latched onto the half-period that they described. For that half period the back-emf would be a half cycle of a sine, which definitely would have a non-zero average value.

Now you say there's a second part where they give the applied emf as 18 V. Is that 18 V peak or rms?

I think if you find the peak value of the back-emf for 40 kHz you'll be doing okay (your same calculations but skip the rms conversion). You can always find the rms value later.

If there's a discrepancy between applied emf and back-emf on the coil, can you think of any reason for it? Hint: what properties do real-life coils, made of real-life materials, have that ideal ones don't? keywords: resonance effects.

1. How do I know if my question has already been answered?

Before asking a question, it is important to do a quick search to see if it has already been answered. You can search for keywords or phrases related to your question on search engines or on the website/forum where you are posting your question. This will save you time and prevent duplicate questions.

2. How can I find the answer to my question quickly?

If your question has already been answered, the best way to find the answer quickly is to use the search function on the website or forum. You can also use keywords or phrases related to your question to narrow down your search results.

3. Can I still ask a question if it has already been answered?

Yes, you can still ask a question even if it has already been answered. However, it is important to mention in your question that you have already searched for an answer and provide any additional information or clarification that may be needed. This will help others understand your question better and provide more accurate responses.

4. What should I do if I find conflicting answers to my question?

If you find conflicting answers to your question, it is best to do some further research or ask for clarification from the sources. You can also try to find other reliable sources to get a better understanding of the topic. It is important to critically evaluate information and not rely on a single source.

5. How can I ensure that my question is answered accurately?

To ensure that your question is answered accurately, provide as much detail and context as possible. This will help others understand your question better and provide more accurate responses. Additionally, make sure to cite any sources or references that you have used to support your question. This will help others verify the accuracy of their answers.