Average field inside spherical shell of charge

In summary, the average electric field inside a spherical shell is dependent on whether the non-uniform density is still spherically symmetrical. Superposition can be used to calculate the field, but it may be easier to apply the known result for a sphere with a radius slightly larger than that of the shell. Additionally, in the case of a double polarity charge density, the field can be calculated using the formula ## \sigma = A \cos{\theta} ##.
chimay
TL;DR Summary
Calculation of the electric field inside a spherical shell of charge with non-uniform density
A known result is that the average field inside a sphere due to all the charges inside the sphere itself is proportional to the dipole momentum of the charge distribution (see, for example, here).

I wonder whether the same result can be applied in the case of a spherical shell of non-uniform charge density. Is there any result about the average electric field inside the shell?

Physics news on Phys.org
chimay said:
I wonder whether the same result can be applied in the case of a spherical shell of non-uniform charge density. Is there any result about the average electric field inside the shell?
It depends on whether the non-uniform density is still spherically symmetrical.

Can't you answer the question with two point charges at different locations plus superposition?

Thank you both of you for your replies. I understand it is a matter to average the contribution of each elemental charge on the sphere surface and then sum all of them, but I am not able to go through all the calculations. For that reason, I was thinking to apply the result that I mentioned in my first post to a sphere with radius slightly larger than that of the spherical shell, let's say $$ R_{sphere} = R_{shell} + \Delta R $$ with ##\Delta R \rightarrow 0##. In this case I would get, again, that I can compute the average field inside the shell by computing the dipole momentum of the shell. Am I correct?

From a practical standpoint, I am working with a double polarity charge density. Let's say something like ## \sigma = A \cos{\theta} ##, to fix the ideas.PS: It seems I am not able to render the latex code in my reply. Can you render it correctly or did I make anything wrong?

What is the formula for calculating the average field inside a spherical shell of charge?

The formula for calculating the average field inside a spherical shell of charge is given by E = Q/(4πεr2), where E is the average electric field, Q is the total charge of the shell, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the radius of the shell.

How does the average field inside a spherical shell of charge vary with distance from the center?

The average field inside a spherical shell of charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the average field decreases.

What is the direction of the average field inside a spherical shell of charge?

The direction of the average field inside a spherical shell of charge is radial, pointing towards or away from the center of the shell depending on the sign of the charge. This means that the field lines are perpendicular to the surface of the shell.

Can the average field inside a spherical shell of charge be zero?

Yes, the average field inside a spherical shell of charge can be zero if the total charge of the shell is zero. This means that the positive and negative charges are evenly distributed on the surface of the shell, resulting in a net electric field of zero inside the shell.

How does the average field inside a spherical shell of charge compare to the field inside a solid sphere of charge?

The average field inside a spherical shell of charge is the same as the field inside a solid sphere of charge at any point outside the shell. However, inside the shell, the field inside a solid sphere of charge varies with distance while the average field inside a spherical shell remains constant.